Addition of more teams to the Big 12

st8rox

Dec 18, 2008
West Des Moines
I was curious as to whether anyone has heard anything about adding a couple more teams to the conference. From what I have read, it looks like we are staying with a 10 team conference, but that also, according to an article I read, keeps us from having a conference title game. Maybe a conference title game isn't that important, but was curious of the thoughts of the Cyclone Nation think tank.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I'm assuming that we would only add teams if they add value. Otherwise, we start to water down the 14-17/20-25 million shares between more schools.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Off the top of my head: if we add these teams, could/would they bring enough potential reveunue to even expand without watering down the $$ like BKLYN said?

New Mexico
Arkansas
Louisville
Boise State

and any others?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Memphis
TCU
Houston
BYU

Are all good options; gotta re-stabalize the conference first, but I'm sure if things work out we'll want to get back to 12 teams again.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
How about Arkansas and LSU.

North would be ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, OSU, OU
South woud be TX, aTm, TT, Baylor, Arkansas, LSU

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think Cincinnati would be OK, a good bball and football school and lots of TV's.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Why not Notre Dame? Seriously.

The Big 12 can offer a big $ TV deal as well as the freedom to set up their own Notre Dame TV network. Big Ten and Big East can't do that.

Notre Dame in the North and Texas in the South would have the Big 12 saying, "Nebraska who?"

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If you're worried about not bringing down revenues for the other 10 schools I think Memphis is a bit of a no-brainer, as laughably ridiculous as that whole pitch is. I also think BYU has the potential to be a very mobilized fan-base in the conference, but I wonder about how geographically isolated they would be now that CU and NU are gone.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Right now. NO. We got our rear ends saved by a lot of people pulling strings to keep us stable. Now is not the time to thumb our nose at others by upsetting the apple cart.

Plus we are only dividing the pie by 10 pieces now. Not 12.

The Big Ten just gave everyone a 10% cut in pay by adding Nebraska. I don't think they added that much value. But the Big Ten may make up for that with a conference championship game. The Downside to that is that there may be no more backing into two BCS bids because two of your better teams don't play each other.

Face it. It would be a tough argument to sell a conference runnerup that has a 10-3 or an 11-2 record to the BCS. It would be much more likely that the SEC would get one in. Or that an Oklahoma or Texas with an 11-1 record would get in. Big Ten will probably only get one BCS bid from now on IMO.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
memphis and southern methodist.

No SMU - they need to continue to be the example of what happens if and when the next time the NCAA decides to drop the death penalty ban hammer (and while what they did to the USC was tough, it was no death penalty) should they ever decide to drop it again.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Why not Notre Dame? Seriously.

The Big 12 can offer a big $ TV deal as well as the freedom to set up their own Notre Dame TV network. Big Ten and Big East can't do that.

Notre Dame in the North and Texas in the South would have the Big 12 saying, "Nebraska who?"
They are one of the few that make sense financially and if they continue their latest success in football, UT and OU won't be too worried.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
How about Arkansas and LSU.

North would be ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, OSU, OU
South woud be TX, aTm, TT, Baylor, Arkansas, LSU

I like this. More balance between north and south and welcome the best football conference in america! With that said, I doubt LSU would come to the Big 12