A surprise position competition on the ISU D?

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
Nothing wrong with having some depth and athleticism at LB, especially a RS Freshman. And it certainly doesn't hurt that he has a name that carries some weight around.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
The nice part about Luke stepping it up is that this makes it more likely that Alton Meeks will be able to redshirt.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Meeks still won't RS, but Knott emerging is great.. Honestly he sounds better than Jake did this stage of his career before seeing the field.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure about that, Jake didn't redshirt, so by this stage in his career(his soph. year) he was a 240 LB starter. Good for Luke though, but I worry about him being physical enough. I know we play a lot of spreads, but there is still some power teams on our schedule. Our defense got completely physically dominated by Tulsa in the bowl game last year and I worry about how we will match up again this year. On top of that, we play Iowa, Texas, and KSU that play a lot of power football. Just do not know how effective we will be with sub 220 LB line backers out there.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think at this stage he would be more effective at the hybrid, but through year one Lukes practice/scrimmage sounds better. But I understand not playing him at the Hybrid and him learning the position he will be playing the rest of his career here. By the time he's a starter he will be bigger.: and you can get by at his size. He's in a good situation for a freshman.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Meeks still won't RS, but Knott emerging is great.. Honestly he sounds better than Jake did this stage of his career before seeing the field.

I agree that Meeks won't RS, but I don't understand why it shouldn't be a possibility? If he is definitely going to see the field at LB, then fine, but if all he's going to do is play Special Teams, then why waste a year of eligibility IMO.

I wonder if more and more these days, coaches are somewhat "saving" the RS years in case of injury? If you don't burn that RS, you still have it in your back pocket in case of injury.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
"Redshirt freshman Charlie Rogers still sits atop the depth chart with Kenneth Lynn, Sam Richardson and apparently Damien Lawry breathing down his neck."
I didn't realize Sam Richardson was playing QB and CB :jimlad:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"Redshirt freshman Charlie Rogers still sits atop the depth chart with Kenneth Lynn, Sam Richardson and apparently Damien Lawry breathing down his neck."
I didn't realize Sam Richardson was playing QB and CB :jimlad:
Just like the old 1920 days with two way players.....:jimlad:

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Are there any more Knott boys down in Lee's summit? They seem to be pretty good at football.

Sadly, Luke is the last. I am however impressed with Luke's skill progression throughout fall camp. Just seems like yesterday he was missing tackles left and right in the spring game. Hoping for a great year out of Knott 2.0.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Knott will beat out Miller sooner than later. Miller is a big kid for sure, but he seems to overun plays a lot. He'll get himself to the right position and then either whiff on the tackle or run right by the ball carrier. What tackles you see him make are usually when someone else has the guy wrapped up or slowed down. My point is, he LOOKS like a run-stuffing LB, but what good is a run-stuffing LB that can't tackle?? Might as well have someone in there with better speed, better coverage ability and is a better tackler...even if he IS undersized.

Hope Miller proves me wrong, I'm just going by what I've seen. Still don't know why they didn't get a JUCO LB to up the competition at WILL.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think that Knott will beat out Miller sooner than later. Miller is a big kid for sure, but he seems to overun plays a lot. He'll get himself to the right position and then either whiff on the tackle or run right by the ball carrier. What tackles you see him make are usually when someone else has the guy wrapped up or slowed down. My point is, he LOOKS like a run-stuffing LB, but what good is a run-stuffing LB that can't tackle?? Might as well have someone in there with better speed, better coverage ability and is a better tackler...even if he IS undersized.

Hope Miller proves me wrong, I'm just going by what I've seen. Still don't know why they didn't get a JUCO LB to up the competition at WILL.

It's not like didn't try to get a JuCo LB. Henry and Faifili come to mind. They went elsewhere.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
As soon as I saw the teaser title, I knew it was Luke.

Not surprised.

He looked really good and quick to the ball in the Spring game (along with Meeks). Those two are the next great tandem for ISU.