A-Rod Leaving Yankees - Good/Bad for who?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
A-Rod Leaving Yankees - Good/Bad for who?

With today's announcement that Alex Rodriguez is opting out of the remainder of his contract and that the Yankees will not resign him under any circumstance, who do you think benefits the least/most from the situation and where do you think Alex ends up?

I'd have to say I think Alex benefits the most because he can go somewhere else to play another 10 years without the constant criticism of having to carry the entire franchise of over-hyped players. Granted he'll most likely have to carry the load wherever he goes but he won't have other players competing for the stardom to nearly the degree they do in NY. There's a difference in carrying the team and carrying the Yankees.

I think the Yankees lose because they lose one of their most prized assets after canning their once-prized coach. As a team that hasn't been dominant for quite some time, one has to wonder how big of an overhaul they'll have to go through before getting to where the NY fans are happy (as if they ever could be). They're a lot like Nebraska football - nothing is good enough and they'll make drastic change after drastic change to the point they doom themselves.

Due to the projected $300-350 million contract that he's seeking, A-Rod will obviously have to go to a major market team. I'd venture to guess that the Angeles, Cubs, Red Sox or Mets would be the most likely places with the Cubs having an excellent chance if they can pull together the necessary funds. I love the Red Sox and would hate to see them tie-up that kind of cash on one player but they've shown in the recent past that they're more than willing to fork over the money if necessary. I also love the Cubs and could see a move for A-Rod as the right move at the right time. They need some offense without sacrificing defense and A-Rod could provide a big boost to an otherwise mediocre hitting team. Chicago would be a great fit for A-Rod and they could get the money if they were really interested in competing for the long-term. It might not seem like the Cubs would pay out that much money but I think they owe it to the long-time fans to at least give it all their attention and effort.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I'm torn. I hope the Dodgers get him, but at the same time I don't want them to sell their soul to satan himself (Boras). This type of signing for any team would be a major coup, but at what cost? Tickets going up 20 or 30% to offset A-Rod's ridiculous contract? That being said, I'd pay $20 for a Dodger Dog if A-Rod was hitting 50 HR's a year for the blue and they were making the Wold Series consitantly (knowing A-Rod's history, that's easier said than done on the World Series part).

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
A-Rod wants to win the World Series and make $30M a year. He wants his cake and eat it too. Boras is a winner also....

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The main problem for most teams is that if they get A-Rod, they can't afford any other decent players. In a way it guarantees A-Rod isn't going to be on a dominant team or even a team that can compete every year like the Yankees should have been able to. If you get A-Rod, you get stellar stats but only for one player. You could argue it's better to spend the same amount of money on two or three other studs that combined will have better stats and give you less room for error (injury, slumps, etc). But it could also be argued that you get a huge increase in revenue just from having A-Rod on your team.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
No way he goes to the Mets. They have Reyes and Wright on the left side of the infield. They would be stupid to trade one of those two and sign A-Rod to a huge deal.

buckzilla54

Nov 26, 2006
I love the fact A-rod is leaving the Yankees. I hate the Yankees. I dont care what they say, u cant replace a talent like him. Im guessing its a 3 horse race between the Red Sox(who would love nothing more to weaken there rival and strengthen there team all in one move) the Cubs(a great PR move and would make them a favorite to win the NL pennet next year). And the Dodgers. (They got the money and LA is as far from NY as u can get)

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A-Rod commanding $30 million is ridiculous (although he will get it). I'd rather take several other players like Matt Holliday ($4.4 million), Travis Hafner ($4.05 million), and Casey Blake ($3.75 million). You could get 4-5 very good players for $30 million.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
They have a shortstop!

As much as I love Ryan Theriot, if you can afford A-Rod without handcuffing the rest of your finances, you move TheRiot to 2nd base.

Besides, Ryan Theriot could end up fading away. His defense is average at best and his hitting game kind of dwindled away at the end of the year.

Having said all that, I don't see a scenario where the Cubs could afford the commitment especially being in the middle of a sale.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
It is good for the Texas Rangers. They save a bundle from him opting out of his contract.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
A lot of people aren't realizing that A-Rod isn't going to dominate a payroll like he did when he was in Texas. A-Rod has become the kind of asset who could very well bring in close to or more revenue than he's receiving in compensation.

Signing A-Rod is going to improve a team's attendance, advertising, games on national TV, merchandise sales, attendance, etc.

There's a reason that some analysts have listed the Florida Marlins as a darkhorse to sign him.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I will say that if they get A-Rod, I might not be a Cubs fan anymore. I want them to win a world series like the rest of us, but man, not that way, not the Yankees way. I dont want a team full of "all-stars" and this would be pushing it. There has been talk of Andrew Jones heading to Chicago to take over the Centerfield role. Now you have 2 of 3 in outfeild, and 3 of 5 on the infield all being big name guys. I don't want to win this way, not the yankee way, not the marlin's way, not the overpaid your good for one year way.

Sorry, my loyality will go else where!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope he goes to the Sox, just so they can replace Lugo and it would be hilarious to hear the Yankees fans.

Other than that the Angels are probably the best place for him. Less pressure.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I will say that if they get A-Rod, I might not be a Cubs fan anymore. I want them to win a world series like the rest of us, but man, not that way, not the Yankees way. I dont want a team full of "all-stars" and this would be pushing it. There has been talk of Andrew Jones heading to Chicago to take over the Centerfield role. Now you have 2 of 3 in outfeild, and 3 of 5 on the infield all being big name guys. I don't want to win this way, not the yankee way, not the marlin's way, not the overpaid your good for one year way.

Sorry, my loyality will go else where!

The Yankees won championships when their homegrown talent were integral parts of their teams. The new Yankee way hasn't won them a championship. The Cubs implemented the new Yankee way last winter.