A-Rod Leaving Yankees - Good/Bad for who?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
They signed Furcal to a big multi-year deal as well the previous season, and they just shipped him after one season as well. I really don't think Boston cares about the money that much.

You're thinking of Renteria. And while Renteria was part of a team that was swept in the first round, Lugo just won a World Series with Boston, and he had a pretty good postseason.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
One of the richest owners in MLB who is trying to get a new stadium built in downtown Miami... seems like a good reason to sign the best player in baseball to me...

Then why is not willing to spend any money at all right now? You're talking about a full 50% of a team's salary in one player.

Plus, they have a shortstop who is putting up pretty gaudy numbers for just over 300k.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Then why is not willing to spend any money at all right now? You're talking about a full 50% of a team's salary in one player.

Plus, they have a shortstop who is putting up pretty gaudy numbers for just over 300k.

The same reason the Nationals plan on bumping their payroll from 18Mill to 75 mill over the next few years. A new stadium is a cash cow, especially if they can get one thats not an hour away from any sign of civiliazation.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
One other thing to consider is that there are several teams that are needing some major revamping and might be willing to spend more now than they've ever considered before. I think A-Rod could go anywhere he wants, as long as he's willing to take a pay-cut, and I think one place he'd highly consider would be the Angeles.

While I wouldn't oppose him being a Red Sox, I like the youth of the team and that they have room to improve even though they're pretty much set for the next 5-8 years. With one of the younger and most future-proof teams in the league, I think Boston would probably gain the least of any team when it comes to signing A-Rod. They really don't 'need' him and I can think of a lot of other teams that would be willing to fork over the cash that could use him more.

As far as the Marlins, I don't see them giving out that kind of cash with the lack of support they have. They obviously have stadium issues and I think A-Rod would rather go somewhere he could win within 2-3 years, if not right away.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
The same reason the Nationals plan on bumping their payroll from 18Mill to 75 mill over the next few years. A new stadium is a cash cow, especially if they can get one thats not an hour away from any sign of civiliazation.

The Nats payroll isn't at 18 million though. According to ESPN it's at 37.

I'd love to see that Marlins spend that sort of money, but even if they do make a splash, I don't see them investing 150-300 million in one guy.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I will give you three reasons why A-Rod WILL be in a Cubs uniform next year.
1. The Cubs will be able to give him the money that he wants even with the owner situation in flux.
2. He would be the hero if the Cubs were to win the World Series.
3. He considers Lou Piniella his second father and wants to play for him again in the worse way.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
One other thing to consider is that there are several teams that are needing some major revamping and might be willing to spend more now than they've ever considered before. I think A-Rod could go anywhere he wants, as long as he's willing to take a pay-cut, and I think one place he'd highly consider would be the Angeles.

While I wouldn't oppose him being a Red Sox, I like the youth of the team and that they have room to improve even though they're pretty much set for the next 5-8 years. With one of the younger and most future-proof teams in the league, I think Boston would probably gain the least of any team when it comes to signing A-Rod. They really don't 'need' him and I can think of a lot of other teams that would be willing to fork over the cash that could use him more.

As far as the Marlins, I don't see them giving out that kind of cash with the lack of support they have. They obviously have stadium issues and I think A-Rod would rather go somewhere he could win within 2-3 years, if not right away.

I could easily see him landing with either LA team, with a bidding war ensuing for Furcal if Rodriguez wanted to become a Dodger.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I will give you three reasons why A-Rod WILL be in a Cubs uniform next year.
1. The Cubs will be able to give him the money that he wants even with the owner situation in flux.
2. He would be the hero if the Cubs were to win the World Series.
3. He considers Lou Piniella his second father and wants to play for him again in the worse way.

There's no good reason he couldn't be in a Cubs uniform, except it's pretty clear God has some sort of grudge against the team.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well with Bonds not going back next year, you have a let-down in regional excitement for the most part in California in regards to the MLB so I could see some big bucks offered for the rights to be the new media circus.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He won't end up with the Dodgers. After Drew opted out Colleti all but said he will never deal with Boras again. Not to mention the fact that the Dodgers have one of the most cash strapped owners in the league, defaulting on loans all over the place...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
**** Vitale should be the number one resource for any baseball insight.