A-Rod Leaving Yankees - Good/Bad for who?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
The big winners are A-rod, Boras, and the Rangers.

The big loser will be whoever signs him and ends up dumping him in 4-5 years and subsidizing someone to carry him for the last five years of the 10 year deal he wants, just like the Rangers did, but for a different reason.

I think he will end up at Boston and Boston's 3rd base will end up a Yankee for at least 1 or 2 years.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
The big winners are A-rod, Boras, and the Rangers.

The big loser will be whoever signs him and ends up dumping him in 4-5 years and subsidizing someone to carry him for the last five years of the 10 year deal he wants, just like the Rangers did, but for a different reason.

I think he will end up at Boston and Boston's 3rd base will end up a Yankee for at least 1 or 2 years.

I'd bet on Boston. Boras likes dealing with them, they have a hole at SS, and they don't appear to care how much they spend after the coin they spent just to negotiate with Dice-K. Plus they'll do anything they can to stick it to the Yanks.

2nd guess would be the Angels. They're just itching to make a splash and sign a big name.

Cubs are out unless they get a new owner quickly. Hendry has hinted that their present budget is about as high as it can get after dishing out for Soriano, Ramirez, Lee and Zambrano.

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

If A-Rod keeps his pace up, that probably won't happen. No team is going to trade a guy who will break the home run record in their uniform.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Cubs won't sign him until they figure out their ownereship situation. They can't invest that type of money when there could be a new owner in less than a year. Leves no wiggle room for new ownership to fix/ correct what they see fit.

My pick...Angels.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'd bet on Boston. Boras likes dealing with them, they have a hole at SS

Boston just signed Lugo to a multi-year deal last offseason. I believe he gets $8 million per year. Unless they move him, I'm guessing A-Rod would play third and Lowell would walk.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If he were to go to the Cubs (which he won't), I would expect A-rod at SS, Theriot at 2nd, and DeRosa at RF.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
His athletic prowess helps whomever he plays for, but his salary requirements match the GDP of a small country. Is he willing to play every position for the Devil Rays next season?

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
There were actual rumblings that the White Sox plan on contacting him, which is strange, since the management hates Boras. There's talk that the Sox may be willing to go $30 million, but I bet that means a guy like Thome is moved this offseason.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
There were actual rumblings that the White Sox plan on contacting him, which is strange, since the management hates Boras. There's talk that the Sox may be willing to go $30 million, but I bet that means a guy like Thome is moved this offseason.

Isn't Philly still paying a significant portion of his salary? Signing A-Rod could mean that Garland is gone, but there is a chance he'll be gone anyway. The 3 million or whatever that Uribe got last year for being one of the worst offensive players in baseball would be gone, too.

Signing A-Rod would allow the White Sox to increase their payroll quite a bit. It'd be interesting to see how well he could still play short.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Isn't Philly still paying a significant portion of his salary? Signing A-Rod could mean that Garland is gone, but there is a chance he'll be gone anyway. The 3 million or whatever that Uribe got last year for being one of the worst offensive players in baseball would be gone, too.

Signing A-Rod would allow the White Sox to increase their payroll quite a bit. It'd be interesting to see how well he could still play short.

I honestly see a rotation of

Buehrle
Vazquez
Danks
Contreras/Floyd/FA
Gonzalez/Broadway/Egbert

with money being saved somewhere, most likely through moving Garland.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Boston just signed Lugo to a multi-year deal last offseason. I believe he gets $8 million per year. Unless they move him, I'm guessing A-Rod would play third and Lowell would walk.

They signed Furcal to a big multi-year deal as well the previous season, and they just shipped him after one season as well. I really don't think Boston cares about the money that much.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The thing with the Cubs is that in today's world, it's hard to win while just using hard-nosed guys. Look at the Bears and how far they still have to go to have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Last year is as close as they've been and they were nowhere near as good as half the teams of the other league. I agree it's nice to always have great workers and great people but sometimes you have to mix it up with good talent. If you would have brought in a big-name QB last year, the Bears would have had a chance to win it all. If you had a big-name slugger for the Cubs, they would have had a decent chance this year.

While it's not always the case, usually you get what you pay for. In MLB you have to be willing to shake things up a little or you're always going to be blaming goats and curses instead of celebrating like my Red Sox. Now I personally enjoy the same kind of teams that you do (i.e. hard workers instead of egotistical) but I also enjoy winning once in a while and that usually only comes from paying somewhat big bucks.

Now personally I'd like to see the Cubs get serious about spending big money but I'd like them to do it spread out on 3 or 4 positions rather than just A-Rod but I could also see them getting a huge return on brining A-Rod in. A-Rod could be worth more to a team off the field than on the field and a place like Chicago would embrace him like no other. I could easily see a situation where he brings in more money over the life of a contract than he'd cost.

My vote would be to make a mild offer for A-Rod and see if he'd take less to be a Cub otherwise spend the same kind of money to give the fans something to really hope for instead of another fizzle-out at the end of August/September.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I really see the Marlins being players in this... It is exactly what they need to get their new stadium. Bring a home town guy in to break records and show some signs of an attempt to be a legitamate club... That team could sell a lot of tickets if they could get out of Dolphins stadium.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The thing with the Cubs is that in today's world, it's hard to win while just using hard-nosed guys. Look at the Bears and how far they still have to go to have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Last year is as close as they've been and they were nowhere near as good as half the teams of the other league. I agree it's nice to always have great workers and great people but sometimes you have to mix it up with good talent. If you would have brought in a big-name QB last year, the Bears would have had a chance to win it all. If you had a big-name slugger for the Cubs, they would have had a decent chance this year.

While it's not always the case, usually you get what you pay for. In MLB you have to be willing to shake things up a little or you're always going to be blaming goats and curses instead of celebrating like my Red Sox. Now I personally enjoy the same kind of teams that you do (i.e. hard workers instead of egotistical) but I also enjoy winning once in a while and that usually only comes from paying somewhat big bucks.

Now personally I'd like to see the Cubs get serious about spending big money but I'd like them to do it spread out on 3 or 4 positions rather than just A-Rod but I could also see them getting a huge return on brining A-Rod in. A-Rod could be worth more to a team off the field than on the field and a place like Chicago would embrace him like no other. I could easily see a situation where he brings in more money over the life of a contract than he'd cost.

My vote would be to make a mild offer for A-Rod and see if he'd take less to be a Cub otherwise spend the same kind of money to give the fans something to really hope for instead of another fizzle-out at the end of August/September.

The thing to remember is that players always tear it up somewhere else, the come to the Cubs and are luke warm. :wink:

Most recent examples:

1. Soriano
2. Juan Pierre

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

I'm not sure why he'd take less to be a Cub, but I'm willing to bet he goes to whoever the highest bidder is.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I really see the Marlins being players in this... It is exactly what they need to get their new stadium. Bring a home town guy in to break records and show some signs of an attempt to be a legitamate club... That team could sell a lot of tickets if they could get out of Dolphins stadium.

Not a chance in hell.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Good for the Texas Rangers who just saved $21M over next 3 years while paying the Yankees.