49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Just to point out, you don't like it when people talk about Brock winning because of the pieces around him. Lamar is having a good year, Brock is also having a good year, if Lamar had thrown 4 picks against SF I'd expect the hype around his MVP bid to go down as well.
The difference is that Jackson should not have been mentioned in MVP conversation. The national media was looking for anyone other than Purdy

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Makes sense but I don’t like it.
personally i think it can do more harm than good.

think of those teams that have entered wild card weekend on a streak of winning and have continued that momentum throughout the playoffs.

obviously the niners werent playing for a playoff spot in weeks 16/17 but still.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

think of those teams that have entered wild card weekend on a streak of winning and have continued that momentum throughout the playoffs.

obviously the niners werent playing for a playoff spot in weeks 16/17 but still.
You don’t play your aces. It would be crazy. We’ve seen them play without their full caliber of weapons. It’s ain’t good. You get healthy or as healthy as possible and then raw dog the NFC on the way to the Super Bowl.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I wouldn’t make that decision but I can understand the thought process. I’d do like a preseason game and get him to run through everything but not actually play much.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Brock's been a little banged up with that stinger the last few weeks. Also I suspect Trent won't play much, if at all, and that offensive line hasn't been the best at protecting him. And while Brock may come out and have a dud of a game in the playoffs, he hasn't had many duds in his career, so I'm not sure I would assume he'd be bad after a rest.

That all being said, I thought they might get in him there for a quarter or so on Sunday.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's a lot closer than you think.

Total offense (passing + rushing yds - sack yds)
Lamar - 4281 yds +10 yards we'll call it a push
Brock - 4271 yds

TDs
Lamar 24 passing, 5 rushing
Brock 31 passing, 2 rushing +4 in TDs produced, think that's significant but not radically different and could potentially be a pace of play thing

TO's
Lamar 7 ints. 11 fumbles +1 turnovers we'll call it a push
Brock 11 ints, 6 fumbles.

Thoughts up there.

I don't know if this is fair but Purdy's turnovers were highly concentrated into two games. For the vast majority of games he really took care of the ball far beyond typical or at least beyond what my fan knowledge thinks is typical for a QB starting all year.

I'm admittedly a new bandwagon NFL/49ers fan but coming to it new and eye testing this thing (watching or listening to entire 49ers season) I don't see why any NFL player other than McCaffrey gets a vote. The guy does everything you would ever want a football player to do. He looks like a player who could have been a hall of famer at 4 or 5 different positions had he focused on any of them earlier.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Thoughts up there.

I don't know if this is fair but Purdy's turnovers were highly concentrated into two games. For the vast majority of games he really took care of the ball far beyond typical or at least beyond what my fan knowledge thinks is typical for a QB starting all year.

I'm admittedly a new bandwagon NFL/49ers fan but coming to it new and eye testing this thing (watching or listening to entire 49ers season) I don't see why any NFL player other than McCaffrey gets a vote. The guy does everything you would ever want a football player to do. He looks like a player who could have been a hall of famer at 4 or 5 different positions had he focused on any of them earlier.

I'm not going to be upset if Purdy doesn't get it. But we are being silly if we think his name was anything other than 'Brock Purdy' that he still wouldn't be a shoe-in for MVP even with the Baltimore game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So should bad games just not have any meaning? MVP is not a stats award, certainly not having the most touchdowns shouldn't disqualify someone from winning it. Even still, Jackson has 29 total touchdowns to Purdy's 33.

I still say they both have cases to win it, I agree that Purdy is having an MVP season, I just also think the argument can be made for Jackson.
You are probably right.

Here are some other stats that are relevant:
Stat - BP - LJ
Passing
Comp% - 69.4 - 67.2
Y/A - 9.6* - 7.5
TD% - 7.0* - 5.3
Sack - 28 - 37
PRate - 113.0* - 102.7
QBR - 72.7* - 65.3
Rushing
Y/A - 3.7 - 5.5*

* = Leads League

I'm not sure what other rushing stat you would like on the list.

I know someone will give me grief for including sacks, but when you see the graph plotting QB efficiency (which I believe Brock leads the league in) v. pass protection you see that he is the most efficient with an only lower middle of the league pass protecting O-line. That is impressive. Between quick processing and timely scrambles he has a big part in keeping that sack number low.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You are probably right.

Here are some other stats that are relevant:
Stat - BP - LJ
Passing
Comp% - 69.4 - 67.2
Y/A - 9.6* - 7.5
TD% - 7.0* - 5.3
Sack - 28 - 37
PRate - 113.0* - 102.7
QBR - 72.7* - 65.3
Rushing
Y/A - 3.7 - 5.5*

* = Leads League

I'm not sure what other rushing stat you would like on the list.

I know someone will give me grief for including sacks, but when you see the graph plotting QB efficiency (which I believe Brock leads the league in) v. pass protection you see that he is the most efficient with an only lower middle of the league pass protecting O-line. That is impressive. Between quick processing and timely scrambles he has a big part in keeping that sack number low.
You don't have to try to convince me that Brock is having a great year, or that Jackson isn't as good of a pure passer as Brock, I agree to both. Jackson also has 800 yards rushing and 5 TDs to Purdy's 140 and 2 TDs, my only point is that to say Jackson is completely undeserving seems silly.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You don't have to try to convince me that Brock is having a great year, or that Jackson isn't as good of a pure passer as Brock, I agree to both. Jackson also has 800 yards rushing and 5 TDs to Purdy's 140 and 2 TDs, my only point is that to say Jackson is completely undeserving seems silly.
I said that you may be right. I was just trying to cue up other relevant stats. Since you had already provided combined yardage I didn't include passing or rushing yards.

Do you have other stats that should be included in comparing the two?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
When Purdy was drafted, I remember thinking that he landed in a great spot with the 49ers from a development standpoint. Most of us ISU fans just hoped that he would land on the practice squad and eventually end up as a career backup (Chase Daniel, Sage Rosenfels-type player).
Count me as one of the people that thought he was in a great situation but also thought he’d be a backup.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I think this is the right move. Why risk injury in a literally meaningless game?
It most definitely does. You absolutely need to rest CMC, Trent Williams, probably kittle, and likely some of those defensive linemen. Do you want purdy playing without Trent Williams blocking? No. That’s a recipe for disaster

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
Brock Purdy won't play the last game per Kyle Shanahan. It's the right move too. You can't risk him getting hurt. I agree with it 100%. Nothing to be gained here. Keep your key guys healthy.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Brock's been a little banged up with that stinger the last few weeks. Also I suspect Trent won't play much, if at all, and that offensive line hasn't been the best at protecting him. And while Brock may come out and have a dud of a game in the playoffs, he hasn't had many duds in his career, so I'm not sure I would assume he'd be bad after a rest.

That all being said, I thought they might get in him there for a quarter or so on Sunday.
Yeah, if Williams is resting (and he should), that really makes you want to rest Brock too, as that line is totally different without Williams.