49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
It seems weird that any of us have nearly enough knowledge to have any sort of informed opinion on this.
The thing with Tommy John at least when it comes to pitchers a lot of times their arm is better afterwards. Don't ask me why, I'm not a doctor, just a baseball wonk with a messed up shoulder from pitching. I remember a few years ago there was some talking head who was saying some junk about how a pitcher is better off if he beats the snot out of his elbow young so he needs this surgery when he's in his early 20's and will be better than ever afterwards. I'm not saying that's a great idea but the idea has been out there before. The difference here is that the throwing mechanics of a football vs a baseball mean that the Tommy John surgery isn't as sure of a thing. Seriously when was the last time an NFL (or even a D1 college) QB had it done? I don't remember it every happening even though I'm sure it does happen some. Whatever happens here I hope Brock does the right thing as far as his long term health is concerned. Maybe the right thing is surgery and maybe it isn't I'll be rooting for the kid either way.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The thing with Tommy John at least when it comes to pitchers a lot of times their arm is better afterwards. Don't ask me why, I'm not a doctor, just a baseball wonk with a messed up shoulder from pitching. I remember a few years ago there was some talking head who was saying some junk about how a pitcher is better off if he beats the snot out of his elbow young so he needs this surgery when he's in his early 20's and will be better than ever afterwards. I'm not saying that's a great idea but the idea has been out there before. The difference here is that the throwing mechanics of a football vs a baseball mean that the Tommy John surgery isn't as sure of a thing. Seriously when was the last time an NFL (or even a D1 college) QB had it done? I don't remember it every happening even though I'm sure it does happen some. Whatever happens here I hope Brock does the right thing as far as his long term health is concerned. Maybe the right thing is surgery and maybe it isn't I'll be rooting for the kid either way.
From what I heard is that over time, there is a steady decline due to wear and tear on the UCL. Eventually, it just gives out. That is why pitchers look better than before the injury. With football, the injury is more trauma related so I don't think there would be as much improvement.

Reactions: mramseyISU

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
From what I heard is that over time, there is a steady decline due to wear and tear on the UCL. Eventually, it just gives out. That is why pitchers look better than before the injury. With football, the injury is more trauma related so I don't think there would be as much improvement.
Yeah, when a pitcher has this injury the UCL is pretty much destroyed and cannot be reused, which is why they have a ligament replacement (Tommy John). The injury Purdy sustained what more of a violent, rip off the bone, type of injury. Those violent injuries are exactly what the ligament repair and support surgery were created to deal with.

That being said, I'm not his doctor, and even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, I cannot speak to what final prognosis will be.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge

This went up a little while ago. Kind of long to watch, but some really good stuff from the 49ers leadership on where they stand with Purdy and Lance going into next season. Sounds really promising.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
It seems weird that any of us have nearly enough knowledge to have any sort of informed opinion on this.

I’m not sure if you’re laying sarcasm on there or not but you are one of the most opinionated, sky is falling people on here so if your intent is to point the finger at other people providing opinions (which is ok to do in a space like this), then you should probably check yourself.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

There's a good 30 for 30 on TJ

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Reggie ran with his hot take for the clout. But he knows he ****** up, that's why he's laying low last couple days. As a former player, he should be able to say he reacted poorly and was wrong, that Purdy playing with that injury goes way beyond the toughness he was mocking. But he won't, because his mama raised a *****.
I remember sometime last season, might have been Aug or Sept., 2022, right before, or early in the season, listening to an interview Reggie had with Breece. He was very complimentary and supportive.

I wonder if Breece might have a word or two with Reggie, about how he is handling the Purdy injury. Breece is pretty low key, I don't know if he'd do it.

Reggie needs to backpeddle some more and apologize. Will he? Who knows.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I remember sometime last season, might have been Aug or Sept., 2022, right before, or early in the season, listening to an interview Reggie had with Breece. He was very complimentary and supportive.

I wonder if Breece might have a word or two with Reggie, about how he is handling the Purdy injury. Breece is pretty low key, I don't know if he'd do it.

Reggie needs to backpeddle some more and apologize. Will he? Who knows.
Reggie was mad when he had to give his Heisman back, no way he apologizes.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Dont Drs have and oath or something about not diagnosing and or treating a patient you have never seen. I get so sick of these so called Drs running around that say they know everything, when they know little more than some info available in a tweet.

How about we listen to the actual Drs that have seen diagnosed and/or are treating him. Instead of someone that thinks he knows more because he read a story about it on ESPN front page. The guys that do this should be told to shut their traps.

• Disagree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dont Drs have and oath or something about not diagnosing and or treating a patient you have never seen. I get so sick of these so called Drs running around that say they know everything, when they know little more than some info available in a tweet.

How about we listen to the actual Drs that have seen diagnosed and/or are treating him. Instead of someone that thinks he knows more because he read a story about it on ESPN front page. The guys that do this should be told to shut their traps.

He's not treating Purdy; as an expert in the field he was asked to give his expert opinion on the situation and based on what is known about Purdy's injury as well as his expertise what are the expected timelines.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He's not treating Purdy; as an expert in the field he was asked to give his expert opinion on the situation and based on what is known about Purdy's injury as well as his expertise what are the expected timelines.
The problem is, there is very little truly known about the injury.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron