simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'm actually looking forward to next year in a weird way as long as the staff stays somewhat together. Having zero expectations as an Iowa State fan is the way to go. I never felt comfortable going into this season.
I just really want to appreciate these guys we have playing now. You never know what you’re getting in the future, hope they pull out.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Age helps! I never buy into the hype, each team is different. I didn’t expect to destroy UNI, didn’t expect to beat Iowa, went to and enjoyed the Vegas win, and then didn’t expect to win today, and there ya go. All my expectations have been met And can watch other stuff the rest of the night/weekend. :)

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Life long Cubs fan and after they finally won it all I realized that the enjoyment really only lasted a few weeks. The following season was hard to enjoy with the expectations of win it all or it’s a bust.
That helped me realize I need to reset my emotional investment.

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
Just gotta go in with the mindset that iowa state will give up a special teams touchdown, and shank some punts. That’s helped me ;)

oh and that the defense won’t give up any points in the second half!

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I've gotten way better than I used to be. Not sure how it happened. I still get disappointed and frustrated when ISU doesn't do well but it doesn't completely ruin my day anymore.

Reactions: aauummm

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Too much of my happiness and mood relies on Iowa States football performance. Too much of my identity is tied up and how well we do. I cannot change the outcome of anything, yet I get so frustrated with things that happen outside of my control.

How do I learn to take a step back and realize collegiate football is not what defines me?

Don't be a tavern Hok. That's the only thing they seem to have going for them.

Last edited:

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
I've gotten way better than I used to be. Not sure how it happened. I still get disappointed and frustrated when ISU doesn't do well but it doesn't completely ruin my day anymore.

Me, too. It's supposed to be recreation, an outlet, fun. Takes perspective. With all of the crap going on in the world, losing a football game is a pretty minor thing.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I feel bad for everyone who came back to win a championship who could be earning money in the NFL... I'm glad that they came back but the season is already a complete failure relative to expectations. Even if we win out it will be a disappointment that we pissed bigger things down our leg.
Considering how mediocre college football has been so far, losing only 2 games will be pretty damn good.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Too much of my happiness and mood relies on Iowa States football performance. Too much of my identity is tied up and how well we do. I cannot change the outcome of anything, yet I get so frustrated with things that happen outside of my control.

How do I learn to take a step back and realize collegiate football is not what defines me?
It’s an epidemic. Rent a farm. Buy a rental house. Have a kid. Fish. Hunt. Anything but isu sports.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Sports is merely entertainment, nothing more. We love to win and hate to lose. We love ISU so much it hurts when they lose, pure elation when they win. It comes with the territory. It creates memories both good and bad.... but there are far more important things in life. So proudly wear your ISU gear tomorrow and in the future. Better days are coming.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
As others have said, aging helps. I used to let ISU losses bother me all weekend. Now that I’m working, have a family of my own, etc there are much greater things to let ruin my weekend than a football game I have absolutely zero control over. But don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to celebrate the hell out of the wins and you all should too. I work with a huge Alabama fan. He said it really isn’t even fun being a fan anymore. The expectation is to win the National Championship every year. If they do it, it’s another Championship you expected to win and have done several times in the past few years already. If they don’t, the entire season was a disappointment. I’m sure it’s nice to have even 1 Championship under your belt but I could see how when that’s the norm, it stops being exciting.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
The reality is that Iowa state is always going to be behind the 8 ball when it comes to being able to recruit top level talent. The 5 star culture thing is great and all but the blue bloods and schools in talent rich areas are going to rise to the top more often than not.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The reality is that Iowa state is always going to be behind the 8 ball when it comes to being able to recruit top level talent. The 5 star culture thing is great and all but the blue bloods and schools in talent rich areas are going to rise to the top more often than not.
Matt is slowly changing that.