cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
As a longtime ISU fan I’ve learned to compartmentalize. The only loss that still bothers me is Iowa.

that Iowa game took a lot out of my fandom, I’ll admit it, the lack of detail, lack of urgency, total lack of gameplan…I don’t know, today was just more of the same stuff we see over and over again

I wonder if that Iowa game took a lot out if the guys and coaches as well

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am a massive ISU fan. Same as I’ve been for 40+ years. But I realized when I moved out of state and I’m not around the daily news and people around me talking about Cyclone sports that my level of anger after losses is wayyyyy less. I am very upset about this loss but I’m already over it. It’s clear to me at this point we aren’t as good as we thought we’d be and that sucks but I’ve already decided that in my mind. Anything over 7 wins is a great season at this point for me.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Too much of my happiness and mood relies on Iowa States football performance. Too much of my identity is tied up and how well we do. I cannot change the outcome of anything, yet I get so frustrated with things that happen outside of my control.

How do I learn to take a step back and realize collegiate football is not what defines me?
Get a therapist. I did, and I literally don’t give a **** if we lose now. It’s great. I still have fun though.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
When you realize that 99% of your teams seasons usually end with a loss, then you will get some perspective. As far as your college football team defining who you are, leave that to hok fans, because that is all they got.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
ISU was never a legit top 7 team. That’s on you if you bought that narrative. 95% of CF fans outside of Ames knew better.
Says the hok roach (pretending to be an ISU fan) who’s team is #5 with hardly an offense. Iowa is one mediocre defensive performance away from losing to a team like Rutgers.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Go out in the woods and cuss and yell your head off for 5 to10 minutes. Then stub your toe on a tree and swear some more. ISU losing isn't quite so painful! ;)

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Too much of my happiness and mood relies on Iowa States football performance. Too much of my identity is tied up and how well we do. I cannot change the outcome of anything, yet I get so frustrated with things that happen outside of my control.

How do I learn to take a step back and realize collegiate football is not what defines me?

I used to be like this with Iowa State basketball back when we were good and had expectations. Told my self it wasn’t worth it.

Think it’s natural for fans especially when expectations are high and it’s hard not to feel that way.

I’m was starting to get like that with football but again told myself it’s not worth it. I don’t need to be angry to other people around me or annoyed with everyone only because a football team lost. Feel I’ve gotten better at it. Yeah, it sucks we lost to Baylor but I was over it 10 minutes after.

Reactions: aauummm

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
I am a massive ISU fan. Same as I’ve been for 40+ years. But I realized when I moved out of state and I’m not around the daily news and people around me talking about Cyclone sports that my level of anger after losses is wayyyyy less. I am very upset about this loss but I’m already over it. It’s clear to me at this point we aren’t as good as we thought we’d be and that sucks but I’ve already decided that in my mind. Anything over 7 wins is a great season at this point for me.

same situation for me also. do i want them to win all the time? yes, but after the game my wife asked how did they do and said fudge they lost. then we went out to the movies and dinner for date night. Been a fan since the mid 70’s and I want them to be respected and as long as it’s not a disaster like the last 2 years of mbb I’m okay with that.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
My love for the Cyclones was cemented when I watched Luther Blue take it to the house to help take down mighty Nebraska.

Many low years of course followed, and I remember in a '90s Fusker game our D finally held and the Nebraska fan next to me said "Good to see, our punter needs some practice."

I find solace in the fact that the program (for both of the above teams) is no longer there. Even though it makes our two losses this year hurt, expecting to win is a good place to be.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
ISU was never a legit top 7 team. That’s on you if you bought that narrative. 95% of CF fans outside of Ames knew better.

That’s just not true. If that was, why did the coaches and media vote them as #7 if “95% of college football fan knew better”?? A team that was playing great, with a NY6 Bowl win, and returning 20 of 22 starters. Of course this was a Top 10 team to start the year. Doesn’t mean we will be at the end of the year.

If you want to pretend like it wasn’t because it makes these two early losses feel better, so be it. But there is no doubt we have underachieved.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That’s just not true. If that was, why did the coaches and media vote them as #7 if “95% of college football fan knew better”?? A team that was playing great, with a NY6 Bowl win, and returning 20 of 22 starters. Of course this was a Top 10 team to start the year. Doesn’t mean we will be at the end of the year.

If you want to pretend like it wasn’t because it makes these two early losses feel better, so be it. But there is no doubt we have underachieved.
You’re quoting an insecure Iowa fan.

Reactions: cycloneworld

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

I've heard Ivermectin cures lots of things.

A number of people have said that.

• Dumb
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
My love for the Cyclones was cemented when I watched Luther Blue take it to the house to help take down mighty Nebraska.

Many low years of course followed, and I remember in a '90s Fusker game our D finally held and the Nebraska fan next to me said "Good to see, our punter needs some practice."

I find solace in the fact that the program (for both of the above teams) is no longer there. Even though it makes our two losses this year hurt, expecting to win is a good place to be.

Gotta love the Earle Bruce years. I was in middle school during those years and with dad being a ISU graduate I was hooked. Remember listening to that game on the radio.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron