25 sweetest wins of the decade ...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Games that I think are ranked too low ...

8. 2002 at Iowa (36-31)
I had this one easily in my top five. Granted, the hawks weren't ranked at the time but they were obviously very good (undefeated in BigTen, Orange Bowl vs. USC) and when you put in the second half comeback it is easily in the top five. I put this one ahead of the 2000 win at Iowa because 1.) Iowa was better, 2.) it was an amazing comeback, and 3.) it was on primetime ESPN.

6. 2005 vs. #8 Iowa (23-3)
How is this one not in the top five also? We dominated our rival who was ranked in the top ten at the time on a beautiful day in Ames. It doesn't get much better than that! I think both of these Iowa games belong in the top five ahead of the 2000 Iowa game. It's tough to place it ahead of either Nebraska game or the Insight.com Bowl, so I can live with it ranked 6th but not behind 2000 Iowa.

17. 2002 vs. Texas Tech (31-17)
This game belongs in the top ten. ISU football has never been higher than it was after this win. We were ranked #9 in the nation the week following. Seneca's run was amazing, but Lane Danielsen also had an amazing reverse in the game. Primetime on TBS ... 17th is way too low.

11. 2004 at Kansas State (37-23)
Amazing finish to a football game. Incredible turnaround at a place and against a team that owned us on that field. I still can't help but smile when I think about this one. It's gotta be in the top ten in my opinion.

21. 2000 at Colorado (35-27)
I already commented on this game in this thread, but it deserves mention again. We had lost 16 straight games to the Buffs. It allowed us to elevate our bowl status considerably. I will never forget my experience in Phoenix that year and this game was huge in getting us there. We could have easily ended up in Houston at the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl or in the snow in Shreveport. It is in my top 15.

Games I think are ranked too high ...

7. 2000 vs. Missouri (39-20)
I was soooooo glad this game was on your list. It was huge to get our 6th win in 2000 and guarantee that we were going to a bowl game for the first time in 22 years. However, looking back now I don't think you can put it quite this high. Not in the top ten for me. Mizzou was really bad that year.

10. 2004 vs. Nebraska (34-27)
A win over Nebraska (just like a win over Iowa) is always sweet, but I also don't have this one in my top ten. I actually barely have it in my top twenty and expect criticism on that from many of you.

Games I think should have been on the list ...

2006 vs. Missouri (21-16)
Coach Mac's last dance deserves a place just out of respect for the man.

A: I also expected the 2006 Missouri game would be in 21-25 range.

B: The 2000 Missouri game wasn't on my list, either (but when I was having trouble coming up with 25 biggies, I knew I was shortchanging '00 and '01 — probably have taken individual games for granted during those years).

C: I think the '02 and '05 Iowa games should rank higher, too, but in a way I'm glad the list didn't put Iowa wins at super-lofty positions. It makes it seem like it's our Super Bowl. :no:

D: As my list showed, I had '04 KSU game 3rd. For similar reasons that you mentioned.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Mook makes some good points, #2 in my book of all time greatest cyclone games is 2002 at Iowa.

That game is #1 in my book just because I was sitting in the Hawk section during that game. It was a beautiful sight when that game was over.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I agree with all those except that one. I think the win in 1998 i believe that snapped IA's 15 game streak will be in top 5.

I could be wrong, but I don't think 1998 would fit in the category of the 2000-2009 decade that the rankings are based from.

That said, I'm a little surprised that "the run" game was so high on the list. I was thinking that game was going to be a lock for the top 10.

Does anyone else think that this "writer" (if I can call him that) has a preference to certain years with how high many of the 04/05 games are being ranked in both of his articles?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I could be wrong, but I don't think 1998 would fit in the category of the 2000-2009 decade that the rankings are based from.

That said, I'm a little surprised that "the run" game was so high on the list. I was thinking that game was going to be a lock for the top 10.

Does anyone else think that this "writer" (if I can call him that) has a preference to certain years with how high many of the 04/05 games are being ranked in both of his articles?

That's right sorry I forgot time frame

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com

We all tend to be a little biased towards what we experience personally or know more intimately; however, I would hope that everyone would at least have a good grasp on the last ten years. I'm assuming the writer isn't a 16 year old sophomore in high school.

I think you tend to get more biased on your all-time lists. I know when we did the all-time roster, etc. Most of the young bucks around here wanted all the guys from the last five years on the roster.

All that said, to make a short story long, I writer did a pretty good job of being fair to the entire decade.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Good end to the list. I wondered what could top the win in Lincoln last year, but our first bowl win is a good choice. I was one of the many Cyclone fans down there for that game, and it's an experience I'll never forget.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
What?!?!

So the 2000 Iowa game doesn't make the list at all??? J.J. Moses reverse to open the game and Sage diving to the pylon in the 4th after leading 'the drive' doesn't make the list at all???

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
This thread prompted me to go to WRNL -- what a hoot -- love the comments in the "Critical Acclaim" section -- Fun site

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
What?!?!

So the 2000 Iowa game doesn't make the list at all??? J.J. Moses reverse to open the game and Sage diving to the pylon in the 4th after leading 'the drive' doesn't make the list at all???

Man, we give you 2 wins over Nebraska in the Top 5 - I thought you of anyone would appreciate that "InLincoln" :cool:

Iowa made 6, 8, 9 (miscounting of our writer notwithstanding) - that's enough for one decade, they love the attention too much anyway.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron