***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seems to me that more than five weeks out, this was a simple trade of opportunity. The Texans called around fishing for extra picks, the Vikes said, “Sure!”

Now they sit back and see how opportunity falls once more. No need to be in any hurry. And that’s probably how the teams in the top five picks feel as well.

Kids completing their pro days will only refine the outlook.

If nothing else, the Vikes can just sit there and take the best player available at #11 and #23, QB or not.

After all, I can’t imagine that they manage to pick up more than three quality starters in this draft—and that’s if they work some magic with all of those fourth and fifth round picks to move up to, say, the tail end of the second or so.

(Not counting a possible JJ trade)

And without looking, I’m pretty sure the roster still has at least (cough) four holes left to fill. Am I wrong?

Besides, if they don’t pick a QB this year, they can always pick up Rocco next. ;)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My guess is Vikings have a deal coming with NE at #3. They want Drake Maye IMO. And the Bears will take Williams. But will the Commanders take Daniels? And if Commanders take Maye do the Vikings take Daniels?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Fascinating mock today. Has the Vines not making another move—and still getting McCarthy. And a corner.

With the bonus of TJ going 33rd.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ve been watching all of the free agent and trade action. First, all of the highly drafted QB’s sliding around for next to nothing. Exacerbated for all of the veterans at other positions being traded for nothing better than a third rounder.

Is it really worth the risk of a huge pile of draft capital to trade way, way up?

Guessing that the salary cap hits some of these guys come attached with deflates the compensation returned, but still.

I can’t see it being worth it to trade way up for McCarthy. Maye, maybe, if they like him that much.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig and Acylum

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I’ve been watching all of the free agent and trade action. First, all of the highly drafted QB’s sliding around for next to nothing. Exacerbated for all of the veterans at other positions being traded for nothing better than a third rounder.

Is it really worth the risk of a huge pile of draft capital to trade way, way up?

Guessing that the salary cap hits some of these guys come attached with deflates the compensation returned, but still.

I can’t see it being worth it to trade way up for McCarthy. Maye, maybe, if they like him that much.
Can only hope KOC knows how to evaluate QBs and the Vikes get lucky that the pick pans out.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'll be good with trading 1 of the 1st rounders for Mahomes. I know what you're thinking.. Mahomes doesn't have as many years left to play as opposed to drafting a rookie... I say the Vikings make that deal anyway. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.:jimlad:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'll be good with trading 1 of the 1st rounders for Mahomes. I know what you're thinking.. Mahomes doesn't have as many years left to play as opposed to drafting a rookie... I say the Vikings make that deal anyway. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.
The Chiefs aren't going to take a single1st round draft pick for Mahomes.

• Haha
Reactions: Rural

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Need a little help here, please. I don’t follow the Vikes as obsessi—er, as closely as I used to.

What are the current holes? Aside from QB, I gather that LG is gaping, and I’ve heard that Ed Ingram isn’t working out on the right side.

I’ve seen suggestions of needing a better NT, and arguments for and against corner. And…safety, or not?

Thanks in advance…

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Need a little help here, please. I don’t follow the Vikes as obsessi—er, as closely as I used to.

What are the current holes? Aside from QB, I gather that LG is gaping, and I’ve heard that Ed Ingram isn’t working out on the right side.

I’ve seen suggestions of needing a better NT, and arguments for and against corner. And…safety, or not?

Thanks in advance…
Big needs at QB and DL. Next is LB followed by G. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Viking draft without taking one or two DBs.

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Aclone

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Big needs at QB and DL. Next is LB followed by G. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Viking draft without taking one or two DBs.

Don't forget K now that Joseph signed with the pack ;)

But DT, LB and CB (like every year) are a must. Hoping they end up bringing Risner back at G.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO Vikings should draft Penix Jr. Yes, he has had some medical issues. But made like 26 straight starts over the last two years with no injuries. The guy lives for football. Football plays on bathroom mirrors shows his obsession. He is 24. So would be 29 when second contract is due. Plenty young. Penix Jr. even won and excelled at Indiana before going to Washington.

Take him at 11 if you must. Then get the best defender at 23. You could roll the dice and see if he lasts till 23. But I wouldn’t. Penix Jr. will develop quicker. The window for Super Bowl is sooner, not later.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
IMO Vikings should draft Penix Jr. Yes, he has had some medical issues. But made like 26 straight starts over the last two years with no injuries. The guy lives for football. Football plays on bathroom mirrors shows his obsession. He is 24. So would be 29 when second contract is due. Plenty young. Penix Jr. even won and excelled at Indiana before going to Washington.

Take him at 11 if you must. Then get the best defender at 23. You could roll the dice and see if he lasts till 23. But I wouldn’t. Penix Jr. will develop quicker. The window for Super Bowl is sooner, not later.
Certainly can make all of these arguments. Seems like there is most talking head interest in JJ with the Vikes pick. Not only do you have to worry if he is the right guy, but the price will be very high. Most intriguing pick in the draft is what the Vikes do at QB.

Reactions: Texbudman