***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Cousins has a career record of 37.1 % wins against teams with winning records in 12 seasons. One can argue that Cousins beats the crappy teams and beefs up his stats against them. Play a winning team and you are most likely to lose. For $180 million I would expect to beat good teams and have more than one career playoff win. Cousins has arguably some of the best receivers in the league. Cousins is a mediocre player getting MVP type money.
Would agree with this for the most part. I think he’s a good QB, with average results. The bottom line is that his salary doesn’t equate to playoff success. Glad the Vikes are moving on.

Reactions: somecyguy

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Would agree with this for the most part. I think he’s a good QB, with average results. The bottom line is that his salary doesn’t equate to playoff success. Glad the Vikes are moving on.
I've been a supporter of Cousins, but there's no way I would have the Vikings agree to a 4 year contract like ATL offered him. I would say Cousins is right around the 10th best QB in the league, meaning 2/3 of the teams have a worse QB than Cousins. QB's I have in front of Cousins:

Jackson, Allen. Burrow, CJ Stroud, Mahomes, Purdy, Hurts, Herbert, Tua (when healthy)

List of current/projected starting QBs. Just looking through this list, I just can't put Cousins ahead of much anyone else. Rodgers is a maybe, but I would put Cousins above Rodgers for 2024. The point being is that it is easy to bash Cousins for not winning games against quality opponents, but if you look through this list, the majority of other teams are far worse off at the QB position.

But it's time to move on from Cousins. It would be nice to have a young franchise QB who can be the foundation for the team for the next 10 years. A guy can dream :)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I agree he is overpaid, my argument is that it isnt fair to put the 1 playoff win on him. Again glad he is not with the vikes for that contract or anywhere near it. Really hoping they trade up for the draft.

Vikings have only made the playoffs twice in Cousins six seasons. Is it fair to put the Vikings lack of success on Cousins? Or do we give him a pass? Cousins pads his stats against crappy teams. Loses against the good teams usually.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Vikings have only made the playoffs twice in Cousins six seasons. Is it fair to put the Vikings lack of success on Cousins? Or do we give him a pass? Cousins pads his stats against crappy teams. Loses against the good teams usually.
Very few QB's have a record above .500 vs winning teams. But does it matter anymore? Cousins isn't here anymore. Time to move on and look for our next qb

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I guess my point is that no he doesnt get a pass, but he shouldn't take a brunt of the blame for being an above average quarterback playing on a defensive minded team that a majority of the time wasnt that good at defense. The Vikings should not have paid him anywhere near what Atlanta paid him and they knew that. Its time to rebuild.

Reactions: Cyhig

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The Vikings could be drafting #1 next year if Darnold is the starter this year. We have JJ, Addison and Hockenson, and now Jones at RB, but the o-line will still be garbage. Cleveland is gone. Ingram is horrible. The left tackle can't stay healthy. And the defense has below average talent, although we do have a great d-coordinator.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The Vikings could be drafting #1 next year if Darnold is the starter this year. We have JJ, Addison and Hockenson, and now Jones at RB, but the o-line will still be garbage. Cleveland is gone. Ingram is horrible. The left tackle can't stay healthy. And the defense has below average talent, although we do have a great d-coordinator.

$45 million per year Cousins demands can be used to buy decent players. Spend that money on a 36 year old with a blown Achilles is not addressing those player needs.

CycloneT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 14, 2017
If the NFL office does confirm Atlanta talked with Cousins before the deadline, will the Vikings get anything out of the tampering claim?
Atlanta would probably lose a first round pick like the Brady/Dolphins situation. not sure if the Vikings would get anything

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Young players having breakout years. The future is much brighter getting younger players with their best years coming than an injured old player whose best days are behind them.

Overpaid. That would be Cousins. Way overpaid.
One of the undervalued skills of a QB and a skill not often discussed enough is the importance of a QB throwing a ball where the receiver won’t take a major hit. Basically the QB protecting the WR. Cousins did a great job of this. The Vikings backups were horrible in this aspect.

Tom Brady even said he would avoid throwing a ball to an open receiver if he could see his receiver would take a major hit.

Most QB’s instincts is to throw to the open receiver. The great ones protect the WR. Those QB’s are usually expensive unless they are still on their rookie contract

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Acylum

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Trade definitely increases the options. Now with 2 first rounders. Move up and get MCCarthy. Stay put and see if he drops to #11. And they have a first round to use on Penix Jr. If they miss out on McCarthy.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Trusting Kwesi has a plan because I wouldn't know what the hell to do.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron