***2023 Ryder Cup***

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
The US philosophy for players and captains runs mostly on dibs, so I imagine he will trade off with other too olds in the captains pool.
Mickelson will have to promise not to gamble in order to be a captain, and that's only if the LIV thing hasn't killed his chances.

Woods should be a good one, but why not go back to Stricker? Had a stacked team but they also seemed to enjoy themselves 2 years ago.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Mickelson will have to promise not to gamble in order to be a captain, and that's only if the LIV thing hasn't killed his chances.

Woods should be a good one, but why not go back to Stricker? Had a stacked team but they also seemed to enjoy themselves 2 years ago.
Mickelson will never again participate in a Ryder Cup.

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
I see ESPN said Zach Johnson's captain picks went 4-12-4 over the weekend. This is my biggest problem with how the Ryder Cup goes. The people at the top pick their friends and the good ol boys they like to go and play. It has been proven many times that this doesn't work. Just take the top 12 qualifiers over a 2 year period so everyone knows what it takes to make it and then send them out to get it done. They make it out that chemistry is some huge component. How many teams do we need to see who get along but stink up the course? How many times do we need to make arrangements for Speith to have his security blanket with him?

In the real world we all have to work with people on a daily basis who drive us crazy but are on their same team at work for a project, school board, etc. These guys should stop being coddled like they are being asked to do something super human.

I hope they all at least had some epic ping pong battles in the team room from this weekend.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Just give Tiger the reins of this for as long as he wants and move forward.
I guess maybe that’d work but he’s been part of the problem as a player too where the Ryder Cup just didn’t mean a whole lot to him until way later in and he knew his time was dwindling. I will say he’s the only guy who could demand whatever he wanted and not get run over like ZJ but I have to think he was in on a lot of the decisions themselves. It just seems like if you’re a Euro and you’re on the Ryder Cup team, you organize everything around that. If you’re an American, you just kind of fit Ryder Cup stuff in if it works and if it doesn’t no one seems to care. That’s fine, they can handle it however they want but it makes it hard for me to root for them in the event when they’re generally kind of douchey and they don’t care or seem to really have fun with it. Say whatever about the Euros but even when they lose they look like they had fun with the experience.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The US philosophy for players and captains runs mostly on dibs, so I imagine he will trade off with other too olds in the captains pool.
I think Phil was supposed to be Bethpage. Will be interesting to see who it is there.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
No chance Phil gets it.

Tiger did a great job as Vice Captain at Hazeltine and he was stellar as a Presidents Cup captain.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I both love the Ryder Cup and also feel like it's way overdone. I think Zach did a poor job with his captains picks, and kept trotting JT and Spieth out there for reasons that are not entirely clear. But alot of the "rah rah" stuff in silly to me. It's golf. It's an individual sport. The team chemistry, motivation, etc. stuff is way overplayed.

I saw a video of Donald going through how he set up the Euro's team room with great detail and had to laugh. Like the Ryder Cup will be won or lost on the exact placement of the sofa or something.

It's an awesome event that sometimes you have to just laugh at.

• Winner
Reactions: Gunnerclone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I both love the Ryder Cup and also feel like it's way overdone. I think Zach did a poor job with his captains picks, and kept trotting JT and Spieth out there for reasons that are not entirely clear. But alot of the "rah rah" stuff in silly to me. It's golf. It's an individual sport. The team chemistry, motivation, etc. stuff is way overplayed.

I saw a video of Donald going through how he set up the Euro's team room with great detail and had to laugh. Like the Ryder Cup will be won or lost on the exact placement of the sofa or something.

It's an awesome event that sometimes you have to just laugh at.
The Ryder Cup is specifically not only an individual thing though.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, it isn't often that these guys get to experience the team setting (unless they're on the LIV circuit where it's just stupid) after they're done with college, so I think getting to do that once every couple years makes it pretty special. Otherwise, they're a bunch of lone wolves on the course.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Sure, but as soon as you tee it up on #1 it is. In any other team sport, a coach/manager has an ability to make adjustments as the contest unfolds. You can call certain plays, make schematic adjustments, make substituions, etc. And while the Captain decides who plays in each session, once they tee it up you are just hoping they play well.

I guess my only point is to say I think alot of the "rah rah" stuff with captains is really silly in the game of golf. I see some people on Twitter saying they need Phil or Tiger because they are "alphas". And I find comments like that comical within the game of golf.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
**** is getting real ugly with the US.

I honestly can't say I blame the players. I see they are getting blasted a bit on Twitter, but there's no reason they shouldn't be paid for this. That's alot of time, stress and potential backlash for something you don't get paid for. And like all things, someone is making money off of this.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I honestly can't say I blame the players. I see they are getting blasted a bit on Twitter, but there's no reason they shouldn't be paid for this. That's alot of time, stress and potential backlash for something you don't get paid for. And like all things, someone is making money off of this.

I watched a **** ton of commercials, someone is making bank off of it.

Reactions: Clonefan32

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Sure, but as soon as you tee it up on #1 it is. In any other team sport, a coach/manager has an ability to make adjustments as the contest unfolds. You can call certain plays, make schematic adjustments, make substituions, etc. And while the Captain decides who plays in each session, once they tee it up you are just hoping they play well.

I guess my only point is to say I think alot of the "rah rah" stuff with captains is really silly in the game of golf. I see some people on Twitter saying they need Phil or Tiger because they are "alphas". And I find comments like that comical within the game of golf.
I agree with your overall point on the rah rah stuff. That stuff doesn’t work if it doesn’t come off as authentic, which I don’t think it really does in golf.

But the Ryder Cup isn’t an individual event. The majority of matches are played with a partner. And foursomes (essentially a scramble) requires teamwork in order to succeed.

I also think that alpha mindset plays better with the Ryder Cup moreso than a normal tournament. Sergio (who I despise) played like the best golfer in the world in this event versus how he competed in normal tournaments (2017 Masters win notwithstanding). Scottie Scheffler (who is either 1 or 2 in the world and always in contention in normal tournaments) absolutely wilted in the Ryder Cup. To the point where he was literally crying

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron