***2023 Ryder Cup***

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Two guys are keys in my mind. One is playing and the other isn’t.

- Justin Thomas playing for the US: well documented and much discussed, he has NOT been playing well recently, to the point him even being on the team caused a bit of a stir. That said, he is one of the most successful US players in this format in recent Cups. His record is very, very good. In his young career, he‘a 6-2-1.

- Sergio Garcia not playing for Europe: Sergio absolutely mashes in this format. The US crushed Europe at Whistling Straits in 2021, and it would have been much, much worse without Garcia. Overall score was 19-9 US, while Sergio went 3-1. All time he is 25-13-7, most wins and points in Ryder Cup history (regardless of team), which is kind of remarkable.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Projected Teams

JT/Spieth: Is JT improved? Does Spieth have baby brain? If the answers are yes and no, this is a tough, tough team

Cantlay/Schauffele: This team is so under appreciated, it’s almost criminal. They are best friends and play like they’ve been married for 50 years. Good to great pairing.

Brooks/Scheffler: Can’t wait to see this team play, especially since Scottie has a new putting coach and grip.

Morikawa/Burns? Could be a good team, simply due to Morikawa’s ball striking.

Homa/Clark? This team could be really dangerous. Just hope Clark didn’t jam his foot in his mouth talking a bit of low key smack about Rory. It wasn’t much, but it could be in this type of environment

Fowler/Harmon? I like both guys. Just not sure.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Didn’t see that anyone had started a thread on this yet.

Europe looks loaded to me. Going to be tough for the U.S. IMO.

I think it's really even and could go either way. I really like the US's chances with some new faces that are hungry to prove themselves.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I love the Ryder Cup - especially in Europe.

Its the only time the best players in the world have to try to win on the road, and play as a team.

Such great drama - its the best!

• Agree

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What time of day will this be live on TV in the U.S.?

We normally play like dog sh*t in Europe, and we don’t seem to care as much, so my expectations are pretty low.

So Europe wouldn’t allow LIV players on their team, right? So why did we?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

We normally play like dog sh*t in Europe, and we don’t seem to care as much, so my expectations are pretty low.

I think it will be shown live at somewhere around 2:30 am CST. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that timeframe.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

It's up to the coaches to decide who makes the team. I think Koepka is the only LIV player to make either team. Probably because he won a major.

• Agree

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

Koepka almost automatically qualified based on majors alone. It would be stupid not to take him, and the guy shows up for the big ones

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Who is Europe's LIV guy that would have made their team much better than it is without them?

• Agree

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Hopefully moving on from guys like Mickelson, Reed, Bubba and replacing them with guys like Schauffele, Morikawa, Cantlay and Scheffler is the secret.

“Ego” is a good thing for regular tour events. The Ryder Cup is a completely different animal. The guys on Team USA now are much less ego-centric than past teams.

In the Ryder Cup, give me a guy like Brian Harman over Bubba Watson every time.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Hopefully moving on from guys like Mickelson, Reed, Bubba and replacing them with guys like Schauffele, Morikawa, Cantlay and Scheffler is the secret.

“Ego” is a good thing for regular tour events. The Ryder Cup is a completely different animal. The guys on Team USA now are much less ego-centric than past teams.
Patrick Reed was an absolute sniper in the Ryder Cup. 7-3-2 is pretty good

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Patrick Reed was an absolute sniper in the Ryder Cup. 7-3-2 is pretty good
In his first two Cups, he was 6-0-1. It went south on him his third go around (2018)…about the same time he started becoming a distraction.

Guy won the Masters in 2018, and quickly turned into a massive douche that nobody wanted to be around.

I watched a little snippet about Seve Ballesteros last night. It is incredible the impact he had for his playing partners throughout his Ryder Cup career. We all know about his partnership with Jose Maria Olazabel (the “Spanish Armada”), but he partnered with other guys nobody had heard of before or since who led Team Europe in points a few times. The power of a positive, invested and respected playing partner cannot be overstated.

Last edited:
Reactions: cycloneG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron