***2023 Ryder Cup***

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Something specific play out today?
Not exactly sure in the timing, but it’s rumored Xander was almost kicked off the team a couple weeks prior to the Ryder Cup.

He and Cantlay are rumored to be moving to LIV. I believe both have been flirting for a while, but the RC and all the ******** that has been rumored may be the last straw.

There is so much more, just crap, going on. Toxic environment.

• Informative
Reactions: Billups06

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not exactly sure in the timing, but it’s rumored Xander was almost kicked off the team a couple weeks prior to the Ryder Cup.

He and Cantlay are rumored to be moving to LIV. I believe both have been flirting for a while, but the RC and all the ******** that has been rumored may be the last straw.

Now they're going to LIV? Are the Saudi's even going to be paying for that anymore?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The Ryder Cup is specifically not only an individual thing though.

But it’s not really a team either. Maybe they should add some things like you can sub in a guy to take a specific putt or you can sub a guy after a few holes if he’s sucking it up. Then it would be more of a “team event”. It’s more like an aggregation of scores.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Not sure how I’ll be able to keep watching losing those two amazing personalities.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I like the Ryder Cup but the home side is now 11-2 in the last 13 and and the last 5 just haven't been close at all. I think it's a sign the home advantage has gotten a little too big with the raucous crowd and course setups. Sure, it's a fun atmosphere but the product has suffered.

The PGA really seems like it's in a mess between the LIV stuff and the Ryder Cup. Say what you want about owners in other professional sports, but at least it's clear who the final decision makers are on financial issues and what type of product to put out there.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

They can quit whining and go then. They both seem kind of insufferable to me.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I hate John Rahm, and pretty much the entire Euro team. What’s also ironic about this is the next Ryder Cup at Bethpage is definitely going to be rude and nasty
I actually thought this was one of the more likeable European teams. Hovland is very difficult to not like, Aberg is going to be a stud and didn't seem over the top, Fitzpatrick is fine, and Rory is generally very likeable (outside of his parking lot freak out). I also think Hatton is funny and I don't mind Rahm. Really the only person on the team I didn't like is Shane Lowry, but it makes it more fun when the players get into it like that. I was just happy I didn't have to watch Poulter or Garcia from their side again, those are 2 guys I really can't stand

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I actually thought this was one of the more likeable European teams. Hovland is very difficult to not like, Aberg is going to be a stud and didn't seem over the top, Fitzpatrick is fine, and Rory is generally very likeable (outside of his parking lot freak out). I also think Hatton is funny and I don't mind Rahm. Really the only person on the team I didn't like is Shane Lowry, but it makes it more fun when the players get into it like that. I was just happy I didn't have to watch Poulter or Garcia from their side again, those are 2 guys I really can't stand
I can’t figure out how anyone can dislike Hovland. Justin Rose is another one that seems would be really difficult to not like. Aberg seems like a good kid too.

Fleetwood seems like a good dude, but I don’t trust him. I feel like he could put on a good show for the cameras, but kicks puppies when the cameras aren’t on.

Straka, McIntyre and Hojgaard just don’t move the needle either way.

I can totally understand not liking Rahm, Rory, Fitzpatrick, Hatton and Lowry though.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

They are infinitely more likeable than the USA. Homa and Rickie are likeable. Brooks, Xander and Cantlay looked bored. JT's **** talk was kind of lame when he was playing horrible and the USA was getting run. Spieth is Spieth. Harmon, Burns and Clark were just kind of there. Scheffler is a good dude but boring.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
They are infinitely more likeable than the USA. Homa and Rickie are likeable. Brooks, Xander and Cantlay looked bored. JT's **** talk was kind of lame when he was playing horrible and the USA was getting run. Spieth is Spieth. Harmon, Burns and Clark were just kind of there. Scheffler is a good dude but boring.

Homa is the guy that feels like he could be a Ryder Cup mainstay for a real long time. He played his ass off and was intense the whole time. Loved watching him make those chips and pressure putts and turn around to chirp at someone.

Other than him I don't feel real strongly about many others. Brooks sucks but he is a fun bad guy to stir some **** up.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Mickelson will have to promise not to gamble in order to be a captain, and that's only if the LIV thing hasn't killed his chances.

Woods should be a good one, but why not go back to Stricker? Had a stacked team but they also seemed to enjoy themselves 2 years ago.
It’ll be a different Euro team than two years ago. Rose probably ages out and Lowry could fall off but they’ve got some young dudes coming and their studs aren’t old right now.
I like the Ryder Cup but the home side is now 11-2 in the last 13 and and the last 5 just haven't been close at all. I think it's a sign the home advantage has gotten a little too big with the raucous crowd and course setups. Sure, it's a fun atmosphere but the product has suffered.

The PGA really seems like it's in a mess between the LIV stuff and the Ryder Cup. Say what you want about owners in other professional sports, but at least it's clear who the final decision makers are on financial issues and what type of product to put out there.
They changed the setup rules relatively recently I believe. Previously captains weren’t supposed to have a day but everyone suspected cheating so they just said to hell with that. I think 2021 was a little unique because I think the US was in terrific form, the Euros had a bunch of guys ageing out that weren’t really that good anymore, and the course leaned heavily for the US. This year was a much more even matchup.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah I don’t know how anyone could ever prefer the company of any Americans at the local pub over Lowry, Hatton, Rahm and the guys. I mean imagine having to sit at a table with Cantlay, Shauffele, and whoever.

I like some of the American guys but man do they take themselves and their own interests seriously. I get some of them wanting to be paid and maybe that’s appropriate but it’s a perfect microcosm of the core reason why they lose when they shouldn’t. Europe would pay for that experience. The Americans need more. That’s all fine, but let’s just be honest and point it out that it’s an issue.

For years now, the US has thought the camaraderie was the issue and their right but you don’t fix it by using captains picks to bring in friends. You fix it by telling these grown men that for a couple weeks out of the year there is one goal. All the European guys don’t just love each other but they get that they need to have some sort of bond for those three days.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Homa is the guy that feels like he could be a Ryder Cup mainstay for a real long time. He played his ass off and was intense the whole time. Loved watching him make those chips and pressure putts and turn around to chirp at someone.

Other than him I don't feel real strongly about many others. Brooks sucks but he is a fun bad guy to stir some **** up.
It’s pretty obvious why that is. It means something to Homa because he’s one of the only guys on that team that was legitimately completely lost in the game at the beginning of his career. Rickie has been there too and he’s a legit great guy but the whole match play thing just isn’t and hasn’t ever been his deal. I really think the 2024 roster is really up in the air. Spieth has kind of been in this zone for a few years now and who knows which direction he goes.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I can’t figure out how anyone can dislike Hovland. Justin Rose is another one that seems would be really difficult to not like. Aberg seems like a good kid too.

Fleetwood seems like a good dude, but I don’t trust him. I feel like he could put on a good show for the cameras, but kicks puppies when the cameras aren’t on.

Straka, McIntyre and Hojgaard just don’t move the needle either way.

I can totally understand not liking Rahm, Rory, Fitzpatrick, Hatton and Lowry though.
Better get used to Hojgaard. Two of them actually.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
The kid from Belgium who played at Illinois, Dumont de Chassart, is also a stud. European kids have been coming over to play US college golf for awhile now. Seems to be working. See Rahm, hovland, Aberg, Fitzpatrick, and sepp straka. Even Luke Donald. This trend should keep Europe churning out good players who can partner with their guys who chose to go the more traditional euro route without US college.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’ll worry about him someday, but he wasn’t much of anything this go around. He played well in his opening match, but ultimately finished 0-2-1, and was pretty boring. I get it…he’s very young, but he didn’t seem to have much personality one way or the other out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron