2021 Stock Market

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I appreciated finding out how many people were in the room with the Citadel guy.

Some of the yes/no questions really weren't fair and were short sighted. However, I don't feel bad for the Citadel guy and Robinhood CEO basically being treated like ****.

You could tell Ken Griffen had some lawyer in the back typing out on a teleprompter telling him what to say.

I wanted two questions asked none of which directly were

1) Citadel invests in Melvin Capital on Monday. Robinhood to that point had major swings in capital needs on Thursday, Friday, and Monday of that week - however didn't feel the need to restrict the stock until Wednesday - two days after Citadel invests in Melvin Capital. Are you saying this is just a coincidence? How did Robinhood meet capital needs earlier in that week - because stock moved just as much on Monday & Tuesday of that week.

2) Robinhood decided to shut down access to 7-10 stocks on Wednesday am at roughly 6am. At the same exact time 10-15 other brokerages made the same exact call and are not involved in the hearing. Did other brokerages have the same liquidity problems at the same exact time?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
What about when the stock was going up, they closed off robinhood, and then it takes 50% in a day simply because of that?

I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but the stock decreasing due to issues at Robinhood can't be taken out on Gill. He had no part of that.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I think it was Ernest Hemingway who once said something to the effect of...

"Imagine something you really know something about, whatever it is. Recall the last time you read an article in the newspaper about the topic and just how misguided or flat out wrong it was. Now, imagine it is like that on any worthy topic -- because it is. You just don't know it outside your own expertise."

That's how I felt watching this thing today.

DFV did great. They asked him the fewest questions, but he always had the best answers and stuck to his guns about his decisions and made sensible arguments. All hail our fearless leader.

I have never found this quote you said above more true.
Work in an industry that is maybe mentioned on CNBC once a month.. the information in terms of how it is presented is unbelievably inaccurate at time and it pains me that it becomes talking points.
It makes me question what we get for information on stocks that i know nothing about and how many people treat it as the truth.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have never found this quote you said above more true.
Work in an industry that is maybe mentioned on CNBC once a month.. the information in terms of how it is presented is unbelievably inaccurate at time and it pains me that it becomes talking points.
It makes me question what we get for information on stocks that i know nothing about and how many people treat it as the truth.

CNBC has now labeled all cannabis stocks and investments as “Reddit stocks”.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Curious about ROBLOX too. It’s amazes me how much kids dump into that game/experience

Sounds like the ROBLOX direct listing will be on (or around) March 10th. Saw an article saying their recent private fundraising valued the company at ~$29.5 billion & will be issuing 198.9 million shares - does that suggest an initial price of ~$148/share, or am I way off-base with how those are calculated? I like the stock, but not so much if it were at that price.

(screenshot since I think you need to create an account to read articles on that site)

1614020610334.png

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Sounds like the ROBLOX direct listing will be on (or around) March 10th. Saw an article saying their recent private fundraising valued the company at ~$29.5 billion & will be issuing 198.9 million shares - does that suggest an initial price of ~$148/share, or am I way off-base with how those are calculated? I like the stock, but not so much if it were at that price.

(screenshot since I think you need to create an account to read articles on that site)

View attachment 82122

What am I missing about Roblox? Seems kids games like this tend to be a flash in the pan rather than long term investment opportunities. Is Roblox really something that grew naturally, or is this a pandemic related fad that will die as kids are allowed to get back to normal activities?

I just don't see this having the staying power to justify an investment.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What am I missing about Roblox? Seems kids games like this tend to be a flash in the pan rather than long term investment opportunities. Is Roblox really something that grew naturally, or is this a pandemic related fad that will die as kids are allowed to get back to normal activities?

It’s been around for awhile now like Minecraft and Fortnite. Generates a ton of revenue. Who knows what they want to do moving forward but they are popular for sure.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It’s been around for awhile now like Minecraft and Fortnite. Generates a ton of revenue. Who knows what they want to do moving forward but they are popular for sure.

Is Fortnite still popular? I thought most kids moved on from that.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Is Fortnite still popular? I thought most kids moved on from that.
For the last big event they had in December they had over 15 million people logged in for it. I don't think I really want to know how much my kids have spent on Fortnite over the years.

Reactions: bos

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Roblox has been around for years, at least 5.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Is PFG a Reddit meme stonk now?
Up on strategic review and adding board members IMO. Bought a few shares of $PFG when the divi was >5.5%; as a newb I'd never really realized how the market really can "gift" positions if you just bide your time. LYB yielding >8% was another position I wish I'd been able to take better advantage of.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Up on strategic review and adding board members IMO. Bought a few shares of $PFG when the divi was >5.5%; as a newb I'd never really realized how the market really can "gift" positions if you just bide your time. LYB yielding >8% was another position I wish I'd been able to take better advantage of.
Not a Reddit. It had been lagging for awhile. Wife got some shares when it did it conversion many years ago. Bought a few more back when it hit low 30s (should have waiting until the low 20s) to have the dividends pay for term life insurance to replace a whole life her parents bought for her many years ago.