***2018 US Open Golf Thread***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. When you have to wonder if shots to the middle of the green are going to hold or not, then good shots are being penalized. You can't land anything on the front third of these greens (the false front) or it will roll back off the front, but if you land it far enough on to avoid the false front and you have to worry about it not holding, then where are you supposed to land it?

I do agree this course hasn't become the joke that Chambers Bay was yet, I do think for the most part it's playable, I think it's getting to become borderline.

As David Fay just said, he thinks they are mowing the grass just WAY too short on this course.

They aren't mowing the grass too short. Guys weren't hitting very good shots today. When they did, they were fine. When they were in bad position, they got throttled. This place isn't lost, it isn't out of control, and it's not too fast. You're seeing a bunch of guys who don't play this type of golf very much at all, struggle to adjust to it. I don't want to watch this every week but there is nothing wrong with this setup except for maybe a couple pins and even then, you could work around them. The slopes are there for a reason and guys aren't used to using them.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Zach Johnson just called the course unfair and said “they’ve lost the course”

DJ absolutely falling apart.

The current conditions favor Stenson IMO

Zach shot 72 on a course he has no business being in contention on. He needs to cool it.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
They aren't mowing the grass too short. Guys weren't hitting very good shots today. When they did, they were fine. When they were in bad position, they got throttled. This place isn't lost, it isn't out of control, and it's not too fast. You're seeing a bunch of guys who don't play this type of golf very much at all, struggle to adjust to it. I don't want to watch this every week but there is nothing wrong with this setup except for maybe a couple pins and even then, you could work around them. The slopes are there for a reason and guys aren't used to using them.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Doc

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
So they going to over-compensate tomorrow with soft greens & easy pin locations?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So they going to over-compensate tomorrow with soft greens & easy pin locations?

Once you cut it that short I don't know how much they can reverse it. Might he soft in the morning, bit it'll dry out again for the afternoon groups.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

There’s like 20 pros talking about it being unfair today. I think they were right.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Let them struggle! To the posters who have been saying the course isn't too tough, I agree. They aren't used to this, and they haven't been adjusting well. Of course, some holes haven't been great, but they need to game plan around it. This is supposed to be hard, not some 20 under Waterbury Open ********.

• Informative
Reactions: carvers4math

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Let them struggle! To the posters who have been saying the course isn't too tough, I agree. They aren't used to this, and they haven't been adjusting well. Of course, some holes haven't been great, but they need to game plan around it. This is supposed to be hard, not some 20 under Waterbury Open ********.

The best golfers in the world are putting it off the green. That isn’t fun to watch.