2017 Stock Prediction

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Underarmour apparently has been dinged for not being fashionable and functional. They announced today I believe a new line of some kind of gear that is more fashion focused.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
when you buy stocks of that price what is the approx number of shares you buy at once? i like some higher-priced stocks but feel like anything under 100 shares (what I can afford) is not really "fun".

Just figure out the amount that you want to invest. Odd lots are really pretty common these days with penny pricing. In fact, with so much algo's trading they love small or odd lot sizes. Unless you want to do some kind of options trading there isn't much point in getting even 100 lots.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
April is the next time frame to see a possible reversal. Still this is no market to be shorting. Sell some at highs and buying lows but do not short a market this strong, IMO. If we get above 21,712 then possibly looking at a top.

bclewis05

Feb 6, 2013
I just changed employers and i'm in the process of rolling my 401k into an IRA. There are several ETF's I want to start funding but feel like a market correction could happen at any day, it's not an ideal position to be in.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Feels great to be able to go in and raise those stop limits. BAC,PFG, and PRIM have been killing it for me this year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
April is the next time frame to see a possible reversal. Still this is no market to be shorting. Sell some at highs and buying lows but do not short a market this strong, IMO. If we get above 21,712 then possibly looking at a top.

I'm not really shorting anything. I'm selling high on a bunch of bull ETF's and buying a Bear ETF super low.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just noticed that my pick reported terrible earnings a week ago. Oh well, it was a bit of a flyer. Really should sell themselves to a larger tech company. So much good intellectual property and so much horrible management.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I asked this in the financial thread. Any other opinions on whether now is a time to sell some stocks?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I asked this in the financial thread. Any other opinions on whether now is a time to sell some stocks?
Depends when you need the money. If you don't need the money and have it invested in a good stock, never sell.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Finding a time to sell is much more difficult than finding a good time to buy. Stocks tend to go down much faster than they go up. Finding a buying opportunity after a big selloff is easier than trying to pick a top because of this effect. There are a few times when it gets to a clear bubble but without a lot of experience you'll see 10 bubble tops for every one actual significant top. Then it becomes much harder to buy back in, trust me I've been fighting it for the last couple years.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I guess after looking over my watch lists and stocks I'm going to swing for the fence this year with a stock that really paid off during the last tech bubble. That and with Trump coming in and talking tough with China I like American Superconductor, AMSC trading at 7.36.

Also considered DDD, and more of a value play in GME that I really like. Also like strong dollar UUP this year but that just won't move enough for this contest.

Damn, was thinking that I had picked these backwards. They are going in opposite directions. DDD systems reported good earnings the other day and looks like a possible short squeeze. Has gone from 16 to 21.11 currently.

AMSC on the other hand I wish I could erase from my memory. Should have done that when they ousted the founder. New management is completely incompetent and did not develop the technology. Another delay from their only main supplier and that is about it for them.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Anybody invest using Wealthfront? 5/5 Rating on NerdWallet's review of them.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/wealthfront-review/

Basically, its a robo-adviser and will manage the first $10,000 you invest for free. After that the fee is .25%.

I decided to try it out and invested $1000 on 5/3. So far its up over $14.00 in the 9 business days since my investment.

They will manage an additional $5,000 for you and every referred person that invests with them.

https://wlth.fr/2psYSZH

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Anybody invest using Wealthfront? 5/5 Rating on NerdWallet's review of them.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/wealthfront-review/

Basically, its a robo-adviser and will manage the first $10,000 you invest for free. After that the fee is .25%.

I decided to try it out and invested $1000 on 5/3. So far its up over $14.00 in the 9 business days since my investment.

They will manage an additional $5,000 for you and every referred person that invests with them.

https://wlth.fr/2psYSZH

They have a very good advisory board in Burton Malkiel, Charlie Ellis and Meir Statman. Malkiel's book, "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" is considered one of the better and accessible for even the newest of investors. Ellis's book "Winning the Loser's Game" is also great. Their advisory fees are not too horrendous either even when you break their $10,000 fee threshold. That said, I still am not totally convinced that, over the long haul, the robo advisory will be worth even a modest fee. Like so many other things, it depends on the individual. What works for one investor will not necessarily be the best for another.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I actually just put $500 in to a wealthfront account last week. I think it is up about $2. I am more curious as to see how it does and how it works.

The other thing I like is that it can calculate your net worth in addition to a decent tool for retirement savings.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They have a very good advisory board in Burton Malkiel, Charlie Ellis and Meir Statman. Malkiel's book, "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" is considered one of the better and accessible for even the newest of investors. Ellis's book "Winning the Loser's Game" is also great. Their advisory fees are not too horrendous either even when you break their $10,000 fee threshold. That said, I still am not totally convinced that, over the long haul, the robo advisory will be worth even a modest fee. Like so many other things, it depends on the individual. What works for one investor will not necessarily be the best for another.

I think a service like Wealthfront and others is for the investor who does not know how to do it. The nice thing about Wealthfront and other robo advisors is that they do all of the portfolio building for you using traditional financial theories/equations. I think this is valuable for someone who knows they needs to invest, but doesn't know how. I think there is a big market out there for a service like this.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I think a service like Wealthfront and others is for the investor who does not know how to do it. The nice thing about Wealthfront and other robo advisors is that they do all of the portfolio building for you using traditional financial theories/equations. I think this is valuable for someone who knows they needs to invest, but doesn't know how. I think there is a big market out there for a service like this.

I tend to agree, but I also think they have some utility for those who might be able to construct a portfolio, but do not have the time or inclination to maintain it, for instance, periodic rebalancing. A robo-advisor like Wealthfront would do a good job of routinely and in a tax-efficient manner maintaining an investment account.

I would say that Wealthfront really offers a very longterm horizon approach to investing. It is one that fits best with taking a chunk of money and giving it over to them for a 15-30 year growth or placing a consistent "pay-yourself-first" strategy where you invest $10+ a week/month for that same long period. Set-it and forget-it and let their algorithms do their work, and be glad you did a decade or so hence.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron