122 degrees on ISU sidelines vs 94 degrees on Baylor’s

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Is sitting in some shade for a few minutes every so often stopping that? Asking for real I’m not a doctor.

Fluids are the most important thing. And you definitely lose more faster sitting in the sun than the shade.

I'm being a little over dramatic with the death stat as players are probably safe from that just by the natural breaks of offense/defense in a game versus the continuous early season conditioning. But the increased risks of dehydration, cramping, rhabdo, and kidney damage are very real. And there's several studies showing concussion recovery is worse when a player's core temperature is elevated.

It's apples versus oranges comparing it to the cold. Most athletes should still be performing at a high level in the heat versus the effects of the cold. I doubt it had much effect on the outcome of the game. It's just that things can change very quickly in the heat and in my view this should be considered a player safety issue.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Doc

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I think it was simply a wording issue between ISU-Baylor-and the Big12.

ISU called them tents instead of cover-ups. If they had only said cover-ups I’m sure Baylor and the Big12 would have been fine with allowing as many as they needed.

Especially for football.

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
The windows on their pressbox are curved which magnifies the sun on the opponents sideline. They prolly knew that when they designed them.

mclane-stadium-aerial-10.jpg

bugramps

Sep 27, 2014
We’re lucky some of our players didn’t die from heatstroke! I remember Baylor punching Montgomery last year and now this!
Not sure how we manufactured the extra heat for your team. The stadium's alignment allows for the home sideline to get shade first as the day progresses. Doesn't really work out to anyone's advantage for 11 a.m. games as it's not until the afternoon when the Baylor sideline starts to get shaded.

Our students who usually sit on the opposite side of the stadium have plenty to complain about as they get the shade last.

If anything, it was aligned such to ensure that the first people that get shade were the season ticket holders who sit on the press box side. Giving our team faster access to the shade was just an accidental benefit. I assure you, Baylor people don't think as strategically as you're crediting them for.

Sorry. No grand conspiracy here.

And I have serious, deep, personal issues with my alma mater. But, this is manufactured outrage. There's plenty to get on Baylor about. This isn't one of them.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Not sure how we manufactured the extra heat for your team. The stadium's alignment allows for the home sideline to get shade first as the day progresses. Doesn't really work out to anyone's advantage for 11 a.m. games as it's not until the afternoon when the Baylor sideline starts to get shaded.

Our students who usually sit on the opposite side of the stadium have plenty to complain about as they get the shade last.

If anything, it was aligned such to ensure that the first people that get shade were the season ticket holders who sit on the press box side. Giving our team faster access to the shade was just an accidental benefit. I assure you, Baylor people don't think as strategically as you're crediting them for.

And I have serious, deep, personal issues with my alma mater. But, this is manufactured outrage. There's plenty to get on Baylor about. This isn't one of them.
You're on an Iowa State board. No fan base in the country plays the victims more than we do. Everything is a conspiracy against ISU. Referee's, announcers, reflective glass,etc.....

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Everyone just living their lives can have whatever opinion they like in the hot vs cold debate. But In terms of sports, heat is much preferable to cold. Especially a sport where hands being in contact with a ball is the major aspect of the game.

Which is why you rarely see the Alabama's or UT's of the world play in the North after October.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames

Unfortunately, some points have to be clearly spelled out! My point here was that it was a dangerous 122 degrees on the ISU sidelines and Baylor had to whine about the fact the sun shades were not approved earlier in the week, so conference made ISU take them down. I understand home field advantages, but that was an over the top, ridiculous, lowbrow response!

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

did you take thermodynamics before or after large gutted baptist preacher 101?

• Funny
Reactions: cstrunk

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA

hell it wasn't that long ago we delayed the UNI game because of heat advisories here and that was for low 90's with just over 100 heat index if I remember right.

When did this happen?

It was not delayed. I was at this game and it was a night game so it had cooled off when the game started. It was pretty hot tailgaiting though. Remember it was the same season that we also played the coldest game at 4 degrees vs Kansas

TakeCover

Mar 26, 2012
Des Moines, IA
I was at the game yesterday and can attest that the heat in the open sun was brutal. Fans, both Baylor's and the ISU contingent, did everything they could to shift with the shade as it moved. There was a sustained strong wind from the south that was very hot and dry - likely contributing to even faster dehydrating conditions for everyone there, IMO.

The tents that we had on our sideline pre-game were nothing obnoxious, just a half dozen or so red I-State-branded tailgate type deals, so I don't know what Baylor's issue with them could have possibly been. They weren't blocking any views or hiding any activity, literally just providing shade and possibly some shelter from the wind.

Baylor Pre-Game.jpg

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Which is why you rarely see the Alabama's or UT's of the world play in the North after October.

Who could Alabama possibly play in the north in October or November?

Edit
Mizzou

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
Thx for the info TakeCover. And thx for braving the heat and cheering on the clones.

This is looking more and more like a Baylor, "let's F@ck over our opponent anyway we can"
screw job.
I get that we may have messed up on not asking for them earlier, but really.
How much of an a**hole university and program do you gotta be to deny an opponent tents on a day like that.
Forever and always **** Baylor and all they stand for. Burn.
I really hope they get some flack from the XII for this behind the scenes.

TobiasFunke

Oct 9, 2011
I browse this board now and again because I generally root for ISU outside of playing us, but wow. The whining of this thread is off the charts. I think your team would be embarrassed at the fans on here. Take your loss like grown ups.

Your team is at fault for not handling their business off the field for getting the right approvals. Cover those bases (that’s a baseball reference... guessing most aren’t that familiar with baseball).

Move on and beat TCU.

The key to making the TCU sideline miserable is to ensure there are no donuts available. Patterson’s blood/donut level needs to be above the legal limit for him to function.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I browse this board now and again because I generally root for ISU outside of playing us, but wow. The whining of this thread is off the charts. I think your team would be embarrassed at the fans on here. Take your loss like grown ups.

Your team is at fault for not handling their business off the field for getting the right approvals. Cover those bases (that’s a baseball reference... guessing most aren’t that familiar with baseball).

Move on and beat TCU.

The key to making the TCU sideline miserable is to ensure there are no donuts available. Patterson’s blood/donut level needs to be above the legal limit for him to function.

Sigh....again, this is why I hate losing to these guys the most out of anyone else in the conference. Being talked down to by fans of the most morally corrupt program in the league is unBEARable.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Move on and beat TCU.

**** off.

Your university doesnt care about player safety. A team shouldnt have to get 'the right approvals' in order to give its players some relief from dangerously high temperatures, temperatures at which other places have delayed games entirely. Your university made a complaint of its own, proving exactly how ****** your program is.

Your university should've been kicked out of the big 12.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Baylor doesn't care about their student-athletes. Why would they care about ours?

TobiasFunke

Oct 9, 2011
**** off.

Your university doesnt care about player safety. A team shouldnt have to get 'the right approvals' in order to give its players some relief from dangerously high temperatures, temperatures at which other places have delayed games entirely. Your university made a complaint of its own, proving exactly how ****** your program is.

Your university should've been kicked out of the big 12.

I know it hurts that we’ve actually accomplished something and ISU’s program apex is an Alamo Bowl loss.
We get our program taken down by mostly our own Regents’ doing to save their own skin (for lack of any real Title IX process), in throwing Art under the bus. Sad. It sucks for us. If you knew anything about the actual program that won two conference titles, you’d know this and know nothing was different with his teams than any other top program.
But I know it makes you feel better to throw that around as an insult and pretend that you’ve got some moral high ground when in fact you’re just the lovable losers of the B12. Anyway...

Even after all that, we are ahead of you again.

Campbell is an awesome coach but you can only do so much in Iowa. I hope you guys can hang onto him.