10 Things I think I think

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I suppose it is to be expected in a situation like that, but I thought the intensity went down in the 4th quarter.

It did seem ike the fan-intensity went down in the Fourth and, perhaps we had a little more limited playbook but I didn't sense the "ease-up" approach we used to have. We may not be making many friends from among those we defeat but I don't think all those old "friends" we tried to please ever let us win for being so nice to them. In fact, they usually ended up beating us. This felt a little different.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
It did seem ike the fan-intensity went down in the Fourth and, perhaps we had a little more limited playbook but I didn't sense the "ease-up" approach we used to have. We may not be making many friends from among those we defeat but I don't think all those old "friends" we tried to please ever let us win for being so nice to them. In fact, they usually ended up beating us. This felt a little different.

SDSU kept going for two with the game out of reach plus calling timeouts with 50 seconds left. I wish they would have went for the endzone instead of kneeling. If the opponent is not going to concede defeat, I see no reason why ISU should concede victory.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
One other thing I haven't seen discussed. I loved the choice of "Ladies and Gentlemen" for the opening intro music.

Agreed it was freaking awesome. Still not sure why they have to juggle playing the band in their with the intro musics but oh well.... it was pretty cool.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Yea the kicking was amazing. I also would add I have no doubt that if he wanted to boot it out the back of the endzone he could have. I don't think SDSU was posing a significant enough return threat to want to. As it was pointed out his kick average was landing inside the five. I'll add to that that the kicks were likely averaging landing outside the numbers. I don't think the angle he was taking on those was because of lack of control. He straightens those out and lowers the trajectory a little and he's driving it into the Jacobson no problem. IMHO the kicks were directional kickoffs with the intent of landing it outside the numbers and inside the 10.

Also, as far as the extra curricular roughness stuff. yea our guys need to keep their heads, at the same time though, it was great to see some fire and passion. Also, from being on field level I gotta say I hardly ever heard a ref actually blow the play dead. When there's no whistle to signal the end of the play one players gonna stop before the other and the one that doesn't quit is probably gonna take a shot that the player that stopped is going to take exception to.

Also, for the few complainers I've seen out there that this was no big deal and we should blow out an opponent like this. 1st, you're right. 2nd these days that's not a given (think michigan Appalachian state) Think last year against UNI. Blowing out a D1AA team isn't a given like it used to be. Should definitely be favored to win, but not to slaughter the other team. I don't care who it was, a blowout that large showed me a lot about where the direction of the team is headed, even if it's not there yet.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Agreed it was freaking awesome. Still not sure why they have to juggle playing the band in their with the intro musics but oh well.... it was pretty cool.

If you're speaking of the team entrance when the band plays fights I challenge you to find any College football program that doesn't play the fight song as the team comes out. If you're talking about the short cheer kinda things that happen when Jeff Johnson is out there we have not argument.

To me and I'm hugely biased, the marching band is a large part of what keeps the environment collegiate rather than pro.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

What was the enterance song that played after the Ladies and Gentlemen song? Bulls theme song?

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Did anyone else notice that the fog was so thick and the tunnel was lined up directly with the goal goal post??? hahaha several players actually ran into the goal post! Hopefully, we will not get anyone hurt.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The into video and music was awesome, not a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls thing though... Love the Miami Hurricane smoke though, looks sweet from the opposite end zone!

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
2. This team looks so much bigger and faster than any other cyclone team that I have watched.

8. That catch by Sedrick in the endzone was a thing of beauty. Reminded me alot of the catch made by the arkansas reciever last year and I think that won play of the year.
[/quote]

First of all everyone forgets that we are playing a Division 2 school. If we didnt stomp them in the ground, we had alot of worry about this year. So this win really just assures us that we had more talent and belong in D-I. I am just as big of an ISU fan as anyone, but I think it is a little early for us to compare speed and size against a D2 school. We should be much larger and faster.

Secondly, the qoute about sedrick johnson is a little much. Yes it was a great catch. But play of the year? We have played 1 game. Wait until he makes that catch over a Big 12 CB that is taller than 5'8" and we can start making comparisons.

I'm not trying to knock you for your comments, but just think some clones fans are getting a little ahead of themselves. I was ecstatic to see the overall outcome of last night, but we have alot to improve. I hope you prove me wrong and we can put up scores like that in the upcoming weeks against the big boys.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Chuck Reed was mentioning last night how long it took for Mahoney's kick-off's to come down....he hit seveal with in the 5 yard line...great job for a freakin' freshman....I think we have a gamer on our hands here.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Speaking of Chuck Reed, did you hear the guy who called in and complained about the programs, lol.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The into video and music was awesome, not a huge fan of the Chicago Bulls thing though... Love the Miami Hurricane smoke though, looks sweet from the opposite end zone!

Does anyone know, did they show any of this on TV last night? I had a thing at my kids school to go to last night and didn't get home and watching until after kick-off. I have it on DVR, but, didn't think about looking at it yet. Just wondering if it's worth poking through when I get home from work.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
Speaking of Chuck Reed, did you hear the guy who called in and complained about the programs, lol.

Could we upgrade the callers to that thing ? I know it was a night game but were any callers sober and talking in their normal voice ? I swear someone called an asked about Shawn Morehead.

I did like the caller that thanked the sports marketing folks for all the new sponsorships. Do we have an official bathroom for this season(sarcastic question)? We have an official frozen pizza, official tailgating RV, a manufacture sponsors the red zone, a seed company sponsors the postgame react show...

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
8. That catch by Sedrick in the endzone was a thing of beauty. Reminded me alot of the catch made by the arkansas reciever last year and I think that won play of the year.

Sederick had a fews drops though iirc. He needs to look it in before he thinks about getting those Cyclone yards.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Was definitely nice to put a whoopin' on someone for a change. Our defense did bail our offense out big time in the first half. It's a very tight game at halftime, or we're even down a few points, without the defense playing great.

Nice to come out in the 2nd half and execute well on offense. Great run by Harris. I've been on the guy's back a lot, but when he hits the open field, few can catch him.