Quaron Adams questions

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I remember being so excited about this guy’s potential when he committed to us…. has anyone heard anything about how he has looked in practice after his first full year and one spring??

He has to be one of, if not the fastest and quickest players on the team. I could really see him making some plays in the slot and running some jet sweeps and counters, etc. Also potentially returning punts and kicks.

Somewhat like Tyreek Hill on the Dolphins. Obviously not that good, just that type of player.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I only saw a brief mention of him from practice reports. It may have even been in the spring game, but I can't be for certain. I vaguely recall someone he may have been running with the ones at one point in the game, but just not sure. Sorry, I'm old and forgetful.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
He’s probably the fastest guy on the team. But he’s very very small.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It might be early for him to see the field as a redshirt freshman due to his size, but I am excited to see him play too. He has the type of speed we typically see on opposing offenses. When he is ready, I hope we can be creative enough find ways to get him the ball and let him use that speed.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It might be early for him to see the field as a redshirt freshman due to his size, but I am excited to see him play too. He has the type of speed we typically see on opposing offenses. When he is ready, I hope we can be creative enough find ways to get him the ball and let him use that speed.
I’m hoping they find ways to use him like J.J. Moses was. Similar size, better speed.

Coincidentally, we’ll still have a J.J. on the team going forward.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of different receivers because we have a lot of young potential. Essex, Gaines, Adams, Ngoyi, Black (might be a TE now?) all were pretty strong prospects out of high school.
I think last year we were way too predictable when using our WR's.

If we weren't throwing to Hutchinson (which was most of the time), we would occasionally mix in a pass to Noel. But what drove me wild about the plays to Noel is that it was always telegraphed.

Any time we threw to Noel we would motion him from one side to the other. Part of that frustration is why we have a new OC.

But yes I think mixing it up with tons of WR's is absolutely needed. Outside of OL last year the WR position group was easily one of my disappointing units. Stanley could be good if more consistent, Noel could be better but he has to get better at making people miss. Noel had way too many plays last year of getting tackled on 4 yard screens. I think Greg Gaines, Benny Ngoyi, Black, or Qaran Adams all deserve some snaps potentially. Have to find out who's a gamer when the lights are on and bright.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

If we weren't throwing to Hutchinson (which was most of the time), we would occasionally mix in a pass to Noel. But what drove me wild about the plays to Noel is that it was always telegraphed.

Any time we threw to Noel we would motion him from one side to the other. Part of that frustration is why we have a new OC.

But yes I think mixing it up with tons of WR's is absolutely needed. Outside of OL last year the WR position group was easily one of my disappointing units. Stanley could be good if more consistent, Noel could be better but he has to get better at making people miss. Noel had way too many plays last year of getting tackled on 4 yard screens. I think Greg Gaines, Benny Ngoyi, Black, or Qaran Adams all deserve some snaps potentially. Have to find out who's a gamer when the lights are on and bright.

We've all been looking for any kind of creativity in our offense for years and years now..... but haven't seen anything.

I really don't think we're going to see anything this year either. CMC runs the show.... not Nate. CMC is stubborn (as most head coaches are), and he's also VERY conservative. I've always said that CMC is almost a clone of KF regarding how he wants to play offense. It's extremely frustrating.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
The classic Quaron quandary that every OC in football has to juggle.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The classic Quaron quandary that every OC in football has to juggle.

I see lots of really good teams every week that have small, but really quick slot WR's type players that they utilize very effectively.

Obviously I have no idea how good Quaron is at catching the ball, etc... I just think there has to be something you can do with the fastest and quickest player on the team. Jet sweeps, quick screens, quick slants, etc.

There I go again.... assuming that our coaching staff can get creative and take advantage of the various talent we have on the roster.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Seems like we frequently have quick/speedy guys I feel are underutilized. Jarvis West and Kene come to mind.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

1961Cylones

Aug 18, 2021
One of the main basic values of undersized "speed demons", is the attention they draw, and their ability to do damage to defensive zone schemes. A WR who is a threat on all plays stretches the defense both sideline to sideline and downfield. That can open up pretty big gaps over the middle, and if you're putting him in motion often, you're moving them where you want them to be, (hopefully).

Any player that can put extra stress on the opponent without even touching the ball is a very valuable commodity, IMO.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like we frequently have quick/speedy guys I feel are underutilized. Jarvis West and Kene come to mind.

Kene was nursing an injury for most of his career and iirc his hands weren't great.

He really came into his own a bit his last year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One way or another ISU needs explosive plays and if it means throwing someone young out there I hope they take the risk.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Every year there is some undersized receiver who is really fast and if the coaches would just utilize him correctly would be the next Tyreek Hill. This year it’s Quaran Adams.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
jj moses is still my favorite player.
Sorry for this brief interruption, but I'll never forget when JJ Moses ran a reverse on ISU's first offensive play against Iowa and took it to the house.

Steve Loney (our offensive coordinator) said he knew Iowa would be so jacked up to play against us that they'd probably over pursue on the very first play and boy was he right!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Last year's dysfunction was clearly systemic. We need a better philosophy on offense IMO. Just cause something worked in the past doesn't mean it will with current coaching and personnel. Players were not crisp, route trees were slow, flooding zones with multiple routes or too short for the down and distance. We were very clearly not playing with confidence. Manning is gone and whole sale changes have been made so we shall see what happens. The offensive line has to improve first otherwise we will see the same crap as last year.

As far as the players we have currently I think there's plenty of potential but without strong coaching, play calling and organization it won't matter. I guess I don't think any one could have looked good in that offense last year. Going to be very interesting to see what happens, especially with all these gambling rumors. Matt is gonna need to work hard just to get us to a serviceable record this year. I'm pulling for him. Everyone coaches and players need to make big steps this year. I think with all the fresh blood on the coaching staff you will see some fight out of them. Last year we just folded.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
For those who think Coach Campbell is too conservative (in philosophy) to know how to utilize a small, quick football player, google Corey Jones - Toledo Rockets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron