Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am fully admit

That's going to have to change. We are going to have to test everyone with a sniffle and track the hell out of this thing if we don't want to be in social isolation for a year. It's not impossible. Korea did it.

The Ohio gov has asked businesses to check everyone’s temperatures. Otherwise he’s going to shut even more businesses.

meet should have been doing things like this from start.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If it keeps spreading despite a virtual shut down, we'll eventually start opening things back up.

The idea isn't about preventing infection. It's about preventing mass simultaneous infection.

Yeah but how long do we do that for? Not arguing, just a question.

I was directed to self quarantine without a test so I'm doing that, but I don't feel safe grocery shopping etc. afterwards.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I am fully admit

That's going to have to change. We are going to have to test everyone with a sniffle and track the hell out of this thing if we don't want to be in social isolation for a year. It's not impossible. Korea did it.

I've said many times that testing is key. If we can get an appropriate number of tests in the US, we can "reopen for business" much quicker, because you simply quarantine the infected as opposed to shutting everything down.

Get a pile of tests in every hospital in the country, and it would do wonders.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The Ohio gov has asked businesses to check everyone’s temperatures. Otherwise he’s going to shut even more businesses.

meet should have been doing things like this from start.
That's how they caught the 2 people who had it at the stock exchange. Probably a good idea. China basically had fever check points at every corner to help get things under control.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've said many times that testing is key. If we can get an appropriate number of tests in the US, we can "reopen for business" much quicker, because you simply quarantine the infected as opposed to shutting everything down.

And do some drive through testing. I joked about offering toilet paper but we are stupid do that might work.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Exactly. Spend a trillion dollars to get tests to everyone within 2 weeks (not sure about the logistics, but with a trillion dollars you'd think someone could make it happen). That would be better than economic bailouts.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Was told by a coworker today that the hospital his wife works at only had 6 tests available to use yesterday despite many people coming in wanting to be tested.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly. Spend a trillion dollars to get tests to everyone within 2 weeks (not sure about the logistics, but with a trillion dollars you'd think someone could make it happen). That would be better than economic bailouts.

That’s assuming a competent government.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Exactly. All these economic measures wont amount to ****. The only way this gets better is by getting the pandemic under control.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My employer (one of the largest in the state) confirmed this morning that numerous people have had the symptoms but didn’t qualify for testing. They have been quarantined and those around them have as well.

i've had a headache and dry cough for a week. no fever. but i always get sick in early march with these exact symptoms.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm to the point where I'm intentionally putting off household chores so I have something to do this weekend. I was going to fold some laundry last night and thought "why don't you just hold off on that until Saturday".

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah but how long do we do that for? Not arguing, just a question.

I was directed to self quarantine without a test so I'm doing that, but I don't feel safe grocery shopping etc. afterwards.

I'm of the belief you can't do it for that long. You have to put your resources into providing more tests and ventilators as opposed to trying to control a shut down.

If you do get tests, you can quarantine the infected and let everyone else go about their business.

Basically, I'm in favor of being restrictive until mass testing is available, and then start returning to "normal" (it won't be normal because a lot of folks will still be sick) at least from a regulatory stand point.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Was told by a coworker today that the hospital his wife works at only had 6 tests available to use yesterday despite many people coming in wanting to be tested.

Right. We don't have adequate testing. That's the biggest issue in my mind.

Get adequate testing in place (I can't believe this isn't possible over a several week period), and we can start moving towards some actual progress.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Why don't we have adequate testing and what is being done to ramp that up?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Why don't we have adequate testing and what is being done to ramp that up?
CDC claimed they had their own tests, and plenty of them. Their tests had problems and weren't reliable so they basically had to start creating new tests from scratch. I have no idea how fast the production is being ramped up. So ya, basically politics.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Right. We don't have adequate testing. That's the biggest issue in my mind.

Get adequate testing in place (I can't believe this isn't possible over a several week period), and we can start moving towards some actual progress.
There were grades that were posted for each state and how they're handling testing. Iowa got a D, along with 3 or 4 other states. So we've been one of the worst states so far regarding that. I read somewhere that many states are not far behind New York as far as "the curve" goes, and the inadequate testing Iowa has done so far is just going to continue us down that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.