Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I don't know if this has been posted yet, I haven't read through the whole thread. I didn't catch the news tonight as I was busy. Our granddaughter informed us this afternoon that the U of Iowa classes will be closed until September. She has to go pack up all of her stuff from her room tomorrow and take it home. She is currently home on break in WDM.

edit: whoops, my wife caught the news this evening and just told me that it was on there. So disregard.

Last edited:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I know elementary and high school kids are different, but my 3rd grade daughter is really upset at the school cancellation. She LOVES school. She goes to Johnston and I haven't heard if there is a lesson plan yet or not. She would love to have some stuff from school to do.

Wouldn't be surprised if the district or just the teachers link up grade level apps, lessons or games for her to checkout online. Our daughter is a third grader and we did a little lesson today on the immune system. :rolleyes: Seemed relevant.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Help is on the way...:D

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
i dont believe iowa allows online education under current law

Based on our Superintendent's email to parents, I believe the letter-of-the-law is that all students need to have equal access and not all students in our district have internet.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I've heard the same thing out of French labs.

Unrelated, but something that NEEDS to change, is the legality of releasing names of patience who test positive. They still aren't releasing the name of the Urbandale school employee for legal reasons. But, they claim they have notified everyone who may have come in contact with them in the few days before they showed symptoms. There is no way to know that. I'm guessing its the same around the country. That's gotta change.

I guarantee you South Korea hasn't been hiding the identities of people who become infected.

Isn't SK using cell phone location data to find out people who have been in 'contact'?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree, but man, some of those ideas floated, how do we pay for those? I saw one that said $2gs a month for the crisis duration and suspension of mortgages, rent, etc.

How do we pay for our military? How do we pay for the myriad social services we already provide in this country? None of that stuff generates revenue. There isn't a single politician that cares about the national debt. It's just a talking point to use when your opponent is in power.

At this point we will likely need economic stimulus more than we need any of that other stuff.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Isn't SK using cell phone location data to find out people who have been in 'contact'?
Yes, so is Singapore. I don't think we have that ability here. Those systems were already in place in both countries. We are essentially relying on people to individually determine if they have been exposed. How can they do that if they don't know if they have been exposed? It was reveled that an employee of Urbandale schools tested positive. That is unbelievably vague. Do you have every single person in the school district enter into a 14 day quarantine, including all teachers, students, admin workers, custodians and families of all those people? There is a 0% chance of getting everyone to adhere to it. Or do you inform the public exactly who the individual was so that people who were specifically around them know to quarantine themselves?

I read about a person in Wisconsin that tested positive weeks ago. They have since completely recovered and shared their recovery story "anonymously" since their name has still not been made public. This seems absurd to me. We are telling people to self isolate if they have been around someone who tested positive, but there is no way for them to know if they have been around someone who tested positive, other than relying on health and government officials to inform them. The same health and government officials that have been botching the country's response to this epidemic in the first place.

When a food product is deemed dangerous, they publicly announce recalls to quickly get the information out to the public who may have bought it. They don't search through past store sales and attempt to individually track down every single person that made the purchase, that would be incredibly inefficient and waste precious time.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
How do we pay for our military? How do we pay for the myriad social services we already provide in this country? None of that stuff generates revenue. There isn't a single politician that cares about the national debt. It's just a talking point to use when your opponent is in power.

At this point we will likely need economic stimulus more than we need any of that other stuff.
Agree, would have been nice to not be $22 trillion in debt before we actually have a crises that we need to go into debt for. I'd same the same for the FED keeping interest rates low even when there was no need to keep them low. Now they have no where else to go.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

People starting to realize it's all made up. Everything.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My employer (one of the largest in the state) confirmed this morning that numerous people have had the symptoms but didn’t qualify for testing. They have been quarantined and those around them have as well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My employer (one of the largest in the state) confirmed this morning that numerous people have had the symptoms but didn’t qualify for testing. They have been quarantined and those around them have as well.

That's going to be really common. We'll never know actual numbers, as the majority of infected people won't have severe enough symptoms to warrant testing and/or hospitalization. They'll just quarantine and ride it out.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

the register had an article about a 23 year old teacher who had been hospitalized with pneumonia and couldn’t get tested.

I’m sure this will be deemed as too political but we should have tested like South Korea.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's going to be really common. We'll never know actual numbers, as the majority of infected people won't have severe enough symptoms to warrant testing and/or hospitalization. They'll just quarantine and ride it out.

Which is going to be an ongoing thing and until there's a vaccine or treatment, lead to shut-down like conditions for a very long time.

If someone goes on a 14 day quarantine without being tested, they're still a potential danger to those that are vulnerable.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Which is going to be an ongoing thing and until there's a vaccine or treatment, lead to shut-down like conditions for a very long time.

If someone goes on a 14 day quarantine without being tested, they're still a potential danger to those that are vulnerable.

If it keeps spreading despite a virtual shut down, we'll eventually start opening things back up.

The idea isn't about preventing infection. It's about preventing mass simultaneous infection.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am fully admit
That's going to have to change. We are going to have to test everyone with a sniffle and track the hell out of this thing if we don't want to be in social isolation for a year. It's not impossible. Korea did it.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman
Status
Not open for further replies.