Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It's old drugs so should be cheap. The HIV drug (lopinavir + ritonavir) and anti-malaria drug (chloroquine). Just don't read the more serious side effects for chloroquine.

Adverse effects[edit]
Side effects include neuromuscular, hearing, gastrointestinal, brain, skin, eye, cardiovascular (rare), and blood reactions.[20]

• Seizures[20]
  • Deafness or tinnitus.[20]
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and anorexia.[20]
  • Mild and transient headache.[20]
  • Skin itchiness, skin color changes, hair loss, and skin rashes.[20]
    • Chloroquine-induced itching is very common among black Africans (70%), but much less common in other races. It increases with age, and is so severe as to stop compliance with drug therapy. It is increased during malaria fever; its severity is correlated to the malaria parasite load in blood. Some evidence indicates it has a genetic basis and is related to chloroquine action with opiate receptors centrally or peripherally.[21]
  • Unpleasant metallic taste
    • This could be avoided by "taste-masked and controlled release" formulations such as multiple emulsions.[22]
  • Chloroquine retinopathy
    • May be irreversible.[20] This occurs with long-term use over many years or with high doses. Patients on long-term chloroquine therapy should be screened at baseline and then annually after five years of use.[23] Patients should be screened for vision changes such as blurring of vision, difficulty focusing, or seeing half an object.[20]
  • Hypotension and electrocardiographic changes[20][24]
    • This manifests itself as either conduction disturbances (bundle-branch block, atrioventricular block) or cardiomyopathy – often with hypertrophy, restrictive physiology, and congestive heart failure. The changes may be irreversible. Only two cases have been reported requiring heart transplantation, suggesting this particular risk is very low. Electron microscopy of cardiac biopsies show pathognomonic cytoplasmic inclusion bodies.
  • Pancytopenia, aplastic anemia, reversible agranulocytosis, low blood platelets, neutropenia.[25]

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The Aussies are saying they eradicated the virus in lab tests with a combination of already existing AIDS and malaria drugs and are moving to human testing, I think. That's some positive news.
I've heard the same thing out of French labs.

Unrelated, but something that NEEDS to change, is the legality of releasing names of patience who test positive. They still aren't releasing the name of the Urbandale school employee for legal reasons. But, they claim they have notified everyone who may have come in contact with them in the few days before they showed symptoms. There is no way to know that. I'm guessing its the same around the country. That's gotta change.

I guarantee you South Korea hasn't been hiding the identities of people who become infected.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Adverse effects[edit]
Side effects include neuromuscular, hearing, gastrointestinal, brain, skin, eye, cardiovascular (rare), and blood reactions.[20]

• Seizures[20]
  • Deafness or tinnitus.[20]
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and anorexia.[20]
  • Mild and transient headache.[20]
  • Skin itchiness, skin color changes, hair loss, and skin rashes.[20]
    • Chloroquine-induced itching is very common among black Africans (70%), but much less common in other races. It increases with age, and is so severe as to stop compliance with drug therapy. It is increased during malaria fever; its severity is correlated to the malaria parasite load in blood. Some evidence indicates it has a genetic basis and is related to chloroquine action with opiate receptors centrally or peripherally.[21]
  • Unpleasant metallic taste
    • This could be avoided by "taste-masked and controlled release" formulations such as multiple emulsions.[22]
  • Chloroquine retinopathy
    • May be irreversible.[20] This occurs with long-term use over many years or with high doses. Patients on long-term chloroquine therapy should be screened at baseline and then annually after five years of use.[23] Patients should be screened for vision changes such as blurring of vision, difficulty focusing, or seeing half an object.[20]
  • Hypotension and electrocardiographic changes[20][24]
    • This manifests itself as either conduction disturbances (bundle-branch block, atrioventricular block) or cardiomyopathy – often with hypertrophy, restrictive physiology, and congestive heart failure. The changes may be irreversible. Only two cases have been reported requiring heart transplantation, suggesting this particular risk is very low. Electron microscopy of cardiac biopsies show pathognomonic cytoplasmic inclusion bodies.
  • Pancytopenia, aplastic anemia, reversible agranulocytosis, low blood platelets, neutropenia.[25]

*skims list*

*doesn't see ED on the list*

I'll take my chances

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've heard the same thing out of French labs.

Unrelated, but something that NEEDS to change, is the legality of releasing names of patience who test positive. They still aren't releasing the name of the Urbandale school employee for legal reasons. But, they claim they have notified everyone who may have come in contact with them in the few days before they showed symptoms. There is no way to know that. I'm guessing its the same around the country. That's gotta change.

I guarantee you South Korea hasn't been hiding the identities of people who become infected.

I don't think identities should be named. During this outbreak mental illness is still a thing and there's no doubt some insane person would do something awful to someone who tested positive.

Now, more details about their condition, how they got tested, how long it took to get results back, etc. would be helpful.

Imo just throwing out the numbers of new cases with no details only escalates the anxiety.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It's old drugs so should be cheap. The HIV drug (lopinavir + ritonavir) and anti-malaria drug (chloroquine). Just don't read the more serious side effects for chloroquine.

One of the first things they do when a new virus/contagion shows up is test existing drugs on it to see if any of them have activity on the virus. If these drugs work, I would guess there's less hurdles to clear to start mass producing.

If we can find drugs that will be an effective treatment and minimize the effects, that will be an excellent stopgap between now and when we have a vaccine available.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Is that quinine in that?! I suppose if it's for malaria it would have to be.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't think identities should be named. During this outbreak mental illness is still a thing and there's no doubt some insane person would do something awful to someone who tested positive.

Now, more details about their condition, how they got tested, how long it took to get results back, etc. would be helpful.

Imo just throwing out the numbers of new cases with no details only escalates the anxiety.
How are you supposed to know if you've been in contact with them to quarantine yourself? Just rely on "the authorities" to alert you 2-3 days later after they manage to track everyone down? How are they supposed to find everyone?

• Winner
Reactions: cstrunk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How are you supposed to know if you've been in contact with them to quarantine yourself? Just rely on "the authorities" to alert you 2-3 days later after they manage to track everyone down? How are they supposed to find everyone?

I agree and that's what makes this that much more tricky.

If we had a better testing situation, they COULD learn where that person had been, like a grocery store, and then anyone who had been there recently could go get tested.

This would have taken some studying of how this was spreading and being announced in other places when the global part was happening, using that information, and then having a plan to make it as smooth as possible including having testing more readily available for actually 'anyone that wants to get tested'.

But unless that person is in a safe protected spot I just don't know if it's OK for some bozo out there to track locations of positive cases and go crazy.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The Aussies are saying they eradicated the virus in lab tests with a combination of already existing AIDS and malaria drugs and are moving to human testing, I think. That's some positive news.

Do they just start mixing existing drugs to find this stuff out?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Iowa state just extended online classes through the end of the semester. K-12 can’t be far behind.

A lot of kids don't have computers or access to the internet (still, even in 2020). Can't make them do it. Plus, you would have to accommodate all of the special ed kids.

I think a lot of schools are just suggesting educational activities to parents. Could see something being done with high school, but thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron