Are we being to harsh

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't think you realize how hard it is to win in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky had the best team maybe in the history of CBB a few years back and didnt win it all.

Of course its hard. And no one is saying we should have won it all. But go back and look at the number of programs that have made it to an Elite 8. And we haven't really been close, even with a lot of talent.

• Funny
Reactions: MJN

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I know it sounds good, and I'm not making excuses, but how many of those guys are really "NBA guys"? Most are end of the bench or G-League. As far as I know, only Monte is getting real NBA minutes. Nader and Niang see minutes, but are they even in the regular rotation? Naz and Burton I wouldn't say are NBA guys.

I don't think you have a good grasp of what it takes to land and stick in the NBA. Even bench guys are insanely good. And we have Monte, Thomas, Niang, and Nader actually getting minutes night in and night out. Burton bounces back and forth and Naz is basically stuck in the G-league. But are you arguing those guys aren't talented and that we shouldn't have won more with them?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think that's accurate based off of stats or the eye test. Lindell was no Monte on defense, but he was close to average for a starter according to Defensive Box Plus/Minus and Defensive Win Shares. Lewis has not been.

Now, stats like these are not easily comparable between a starting PG that got 33 minutes per game/6th man that got 26 MPG and a bench wing with inconsistent minutes.

That's why I mention the eyeball test.
Wigginton -
Without going back to review tape I remember Lindell being a ball-watcher when playing off the ball. He got some decent steals from that but also "got lost" and gave up layups or caused team defensive rotation breakdowns and open shots because of it.
When he was an on-ball defender in one-on-one situations he was good at disrupting ball handlers by staying in front and had pretty good hands too.
But with pick-and-roll defense he had issues getting over or around screens due to bad footwork. He would often meet a screener at a perpendicular angle and get stuck.

Pros and cons add up to be somewhat equal in the stat-Gods' eyes. In my opinion they tip toward the negative because I'd rather a point guard not gamble on defense unless they have supreme physical tools to do it. It puts more stress on your own defense to recover and puts you in scramble drill rotations.

Lewis -
We've all seen the struggles. It's become his narrative and a talking point for color commentators. He can physically be fine at defense. Maybe even pretty good. I remember watching his footwork as a freshman making closeouts and cutting off driving angles and being hopeful for him to grow in to a solid 3 and D guy. We see tiny glimpses of it when he's making high-effort, hustle plays on defense (and on the offensive glass).
Something has not clicked for him in this situation over the past 3 years (almost).

Links for reference. Look in the Advanced section for the two stats I mentioned above.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/lindell-wigginton-1.html#all_players_advanced
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/terrence-lewis-2.html#all_players_advanced
I take a much more eye-test approach than you, and while I don't deny Lindell is or was a better defender than Lewis, what you mentioned in your Wigginton piece is what stood out to me most; he appeared disinterested at time when he wasn't the on ball defender, and it could lead to an easy bucket for the other team. Lack of effort would be a good way to sum it up for Lindell. With Terrence, I'm not sure it's an effort issue, but something between the ears maybe.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Thinking about what we lost after last year? I think I might have just expected to much this season. We lost THT, Wigginton, Shayok. That’s is a ton of scoring and talent.

I think I am changing my thought process and want to see what we are
Like next season and the season after. Changing the coach does not always make things better. Prohm has had some good teams and we have won a lot of games with him.
I really have to ask you people. What were you expecting???

Anyone who didn't come into this season understanding that it would be a "show up and applaud effort where you see it" type of season was delusional.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I agree that he makes a lot of mistakes but don't all coaches? I mean Matt Campbell has made some seriously strange decisions as our football coach (QB Sneak for example). I think this year Prohm has had trouble finding the right guys at the right moments. Not sure what the strategy with Nixon is. Maybe just thinks he is the better option than guys sitting on the bench. I disagree with giving Nixon time right now with his horrible decision making.

I also think that with next years recruiting class we will be getting more stable with the program. We will have more of a team than we have had in the past. We have had to many guys who have just wanted to get to the NBA. That is never good unless they are top 5 players. I just think starting over right now will make it even worse. I want to see Steve with a complete team. Next years team has a pretty solid core coming back with Solo coming on and showing some offense. Grill and Jackson seem to be starting to figure it out a little. If we add a transfer, we could do pretty good next year and set it up really nice for the year after.

BTW I have been a big "Fire Prohm" guy most of the season. Just sitting back last night and thinking it over might have changed the way I am thinking about it.

Everyone not just coaches makes mistakes. Playing Nixon or at least playing him with out correcting some major deficiencies is a really glaring mistake that the head coach owns. It's not been a one time mistake it's been a pattern with Nixon through the whole season and a pattern with Prohm's lineups almost every year.

To be clear at this point in the season I do think Nixon needs to be on the court. We are lacking ball handling and he can at least handle the ball. He's a senior and he wants to finish his career on the court. There's expectations he has to meet to be on the court though. His shot selection has to improve significantly or he sits. That's really not a hard coaching message to send. Steve took him out eventually for it, but it went on far too long before that happened.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Malone

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Everyone not just coaches makes mistakes. Playing Nixon or at least playing him with out correcting some major deficiencies is a really glaring mistake that the head coach owns. It's not been a one time mistake it's been a pattern with Nixon through the whole season and a pattern with Prohm's lineups almost every year.

To be clear at this point in the season I do think Nixon needs to be on the court. We are lacking ball handling and he can at least handle the ball. He's a senior and he wants to finish his career on the court. There's expectations he has to meet to be on the court though. His shot selection has to improve significantly or he sits. That's really not a hard coaching message to send. Steve took him out eventually for it, but it went on far too long before that happened.

It wasn't just shot selection, it was attitude last night.
4-5 possessions without a single pass.
Catching a ball standing out of bounds.
Careless turnover letting someone come up from behind on a 1 on 5 fastbreak.
lackluster defense.

Grill needs to get his head straight and start making shots - but at this point theres not a reason Nixon isn't in a very limited backup role. He completely plays lost out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Malone

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
It wasn't just shot selection, it was attitude last night.
4-5 possessions without a single pass.
Catching a ball standing out of bounds.
Careless turnover letting someone come up from behind on a 1 on 5 fastbreak.
lackluster defense.

Grill needs to get his head straight and start making shots - but at this point theres not a reason Nixon isn't in a very limited backup role. He completely plays lost out there.
Right, Nixon led us in shots missed, 3 pt shots missed, turnovers, and fouls. He shot 1-10 overall and 0-4 from 3. How demoralizing must it be as a big man like Solomon to run down the court, only to have Nixon throw up a shot without making a single pass when his percentages for the year are abysmal, and not have a coach do anything to correct the issue?

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I think we can all agree if the offense comes out like it did this year chucking 3s and it takes prohm half the season for the 3rd year in a row to force the guards to make effort to try to get our bigs involved in the offense he should be fired. Maybe even in the middle of a game.. that’s how annoying it was watching the guards pretend they are all elite shooters early in the season.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
No, not even close to being overly harsh. The program is in the tank and apathy has fully set in.

Like Steve as a person, it's unfortunate it didn't work out, but if you keep him around next year it's nothing more than a lame duck season. Fans will know it, opposing coaches will know it and most importantly recruits will know it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would just like to point out that this is not true....

BDJ: 11 career starts
Monté Morris: 14 career starts
Abdel Nader: 7 career starts

I definitely see your point though... It is dang near impossible to get some talented players to play up to their potential together.
Sorry - thought I was looking at career starts in Basketball Reference, but was looking at this year only.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't think you have a good grasp of what it takes to land and stick in the NBA. Even bench guys are insanely good. And we have Monte, Thomas, Niang, and Nader actually getting minutes night in and night out. Burton bounces back and forth and Naz is basically stuck in the G-league. But are you arguing those guys aren't talented and that we shouldn't have won more with them?

I don't disagree that those are talented players. And ISU probably SHOULD have won more. But, how much more are we talking? I mean, you have a roster with a 6'4 guy playing PF in THT who is more interested in getting up shots than playing team ball...eventually, that's going to bite you. Same with Burton playing some 5...eventually in the tournament, you are going to run into a dominant post and if the shots aren't falling, you are going to lose.

I will agree that a great coach could have squeezed a couple more wins out of those rosters and I wouldn't be upset if Pollard dropped the hammer tomorrow. But, you can only expect to go so far with a bunch of fringe NBA players and undersized in the post unless you get really lucky.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Fine. Scratch "NBA guys" with talent. We've had a ton of talent on our teams under Prohm and we don't have that much to show for it. I think, in general, Prohm has under performed considering the amount of talent on each team - and done it consistently.

Even with Hoiberg's players, in 2015-16 we started the season ranked in the Top 5 and finished 10-8 in the conference. We did make a sweet 16 which is great. 2016-7 was the only year we maintained our position and actually improved towards the end of the year. 2017-8 was a disaster. 2018-19 I don't think anyone would argue that we vastly underachieved. And then we have this year. This trend doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Prohm can develop players and winning teams.

Actually, preseason #7 in AP and coaches, and that assumed Naz playing. Then a few games later Naz goes down for the year. Finished #21/22 then went to a Sweet 16. I don't think considering the Naz injury I don't think that finish is really underachieving.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Actually, preseason #7 in AP and coaches, and that assumed Naz playing. Then a few games later Naz goes down for the year. Finished #21/22 then went to a Sweet 16. I don't think considering the Naz injury I don't think that finish is really underachieving.

I don't think we under achieved that year...more like met expectations. But to go 10-8 in conference with that roster is crazy. Same with last year's team, 9-9 with that roster is crazy.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't disagree that those are talented players. And ISU probably SHOULD have won more. But, how much more are we talking? I mean, you have a roster with a 6'4 guy playing PF in THT who is more interested in getting up shots than playing team ball...eventually, that's going to bite you. Same with Burton playing some 5...eventually in the tournament, you are going to run into a dominant post and if the shots aren't falling, you are going to lose.

I will agree that a great coach could have squeezed a couple more wins out of those rosters and I wouldn't be upset if Pollard dropped the hammer tomorrow. But, you can only expect to go so far with a bunch of fringe NBA players and undersized in the post unless you get really lucky.

Ironically enough, we lost a tournament game because Burton didn't play enough at the 5.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

keep Naz on the court. Keep jameel’s head right about being made to practice and be accountable thing. Then add Burton in January.

that team could have conceivably won a few more games. But Oklahoma Kansas and West Virginia were really good that year. Not sure we would have finished ahead of them, regardless.

but Burton was the playing the 5 for goodness sake

I know the revision is that this team should have certainly been in the hunt for a natty. After all with the history of our program being what it is, what’s achieving more than all but one team in the 115 years of basketball played at this place?

should be a piece of cake, right?

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
If you mean identifying all of his shortcomings into a single post, I agree with you.

I'm curious though, if you don't blame Prohm for the state of the basketball program, who do you blame? I feel like you were one of those guys defending GMac to the very end. Blaming it on "bad luck" or whatever. Sometimes coaches don't fit at certain schools. It's not all that uncommon to see this issue. I know of at least two of these situations in the Big 12 alone.
I blame Prohm 100% for this season. I also give him 100% of the credit for his first two years and last year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron