Are we being to harsh

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Imagine if only Lindell would have come back for this year. That could have been a perfect set up for him. Tyrese to distribute the ball and Lindell to be our 'shoot-at-will' scorer. That is what got him so much hype his freshman year. If he came back, it is more likely that we are talking about Lindell as a lottery pick rather than Tyrese. It is what it is, but one kid staying (even if it wasn't Lindell) changes this whole situation.

Having LW back would certainly open up more offensive options, but I'm not sure if it plugs the D holes. If we could have and LW AND Cam (with a great work attitude), then we'd be talking a Dance invite.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Imagine if only Lindell would have come back for this year. That could have been a perfect set up for him. Tyrese to distribute the ball and Lindell to be our 'shoot-at-will' scorer. That is what got him so much hype his freshman year. If he came back, it is more likely that we are talking about Lindell as a lottery pick rather than Tyrese. It is what it is, but one kid staying (even if it wasn't Lindell) changes this whole situation.
He would probably be on the bench behind Nixon cause who knows why.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yet every win we have we always tell each other how bad the other team was. Texas, TCU and OU. OU we smashed and they are a tourney team. TCU has a winning record and so does Texas. TCU is ahead of us in the standings. Texas is ahead of us in the standings and still has a shot at the tourney. Kansas State has had several good years under Webber and they are at the bottom of the barrel this year. Just sayin I think people think we are all of the sudden Duke and can't have an off year or two.

You left out Kentucky.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
You are right, it doesn't really matter. But we had 6 (!!!) NBA caliber players on the 2015-2016 roster - and made a Sweet 16. We had 4 NBA guys on the 2016-2017 roster and made the Round of 32. This is a results-oriented profession...not exactly lighting it up and producing results with that talent level.
It's a single elimination tournament. And this is only 2 samples. Would you fire Coach K because Duke went out the first round in 06-07, the second round in 07-08, and only sweet 16 in 08-09?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I don't think you realize how hard it is to win in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky had the best team maybe in the history of CBB a few years back and didnt win it all.
To be fair, cycloneworld was talking about only making it past the Sweet 16, not winning the tournament.

:jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Having LW back would certainly open up more offensive options, but I'm not sure if it plugs the D holes. If we could have and LW AND Cam (with a great work attitude), then we'd be talking a Dance invite.

I don't think plugging D holes would make this team perform any better.

• Funny
Reactions: Frak

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
And BDJ started more games in his lone NBA season than Monte, Georges, Burton, Nader, Naz, Thomas, Shayok, THT, and Wigginton have combined in their career.

It's a little dumb to either give a coach an excuse or additional credit if his talent sucks, or to penalize a coach because the talent he brings in is good.
I would just like to point out that this is not true....

BDJ: 11 career starts
Monté Morris: 14 career starts
Abdel Nader: 7 career starts

I definitely see your point though... It is dang near impossible to get some talented players to play up to their potential together.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
LW was as bad as Terrence on D
I don't think that's accurate based off of stats or the eye test. Lindell was no Monte on defense, but he was close to average for a starter according to Defensive Box Plus/Minus and Defensive Win Shares. Lewis has not been.

Now, stats like these are not easily comparable between a starting PG that got 33 minutes per game/6th man that got 26 MPG and a bench wing with inconsistent minutes.

That's why I mention the eyeball test.
Wigginton -
Without going back to review tape I remember Lindell being a ball-watcher when playing off the ball. He got some decent steals from that but also "got lost" and gave up layups or caused team defensive rotation breakdowns and open shots because of it.
When he was an on-ball defender in one-on-one situations he was good at disrupting ball handlers by staying in front and had pretty good hands too.
But with pick-and-roll defense he had issues getting over or around screens due to bad footwork. He would often meet a screener at a perpendicular angle and get stuck.

Pros and cons add up to be somewhat equal in the stat-Gods' eyes. In my opinion they tip toward the negative because I'd rather a point guard not gamble on defense unless they have supreme physical tools to do it. It puts more stress on your own defense to recover and puts you in scramble drill rotations.

Lewis -
We've all seen the struggles. It's become his narrative and a talking point for color commentators. He can physically be fine at defense. Maybe even pretty good. I remember watching his footwork as a freshman making closeouts and cutting off driving angles and being hopeful for him to grow in to a solid 3 and D guy. We see tiny glimpses of it when he's making high-effort, hustle plays on defense (and on the offensive glass).
Something has not clicked for him in this situation over the past 3 years (almost).

Links for reference. Look in the Advanced section for the two stats I mentioned above.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/lindell-wigginton-1.html#all_players_advanced
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/terrence-lewis-2.html#all_players_advanced

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I always thought this was a dumb argument. Nobody in college basketball gets fired because they had x number of NBA players, but didn't get to a certain point in the tournament. Please show me the chart that correlates the # of NBA players to tournament finish, and where the fireable line falls within the chart.

Freaking Bryce Dejean Jones played in the NBA, and I would argue him being on the team caused them to lose in the first round. How does that fit your argument?

Fine. Scratch "NBA guys" with talent. We've had a ton of talent on our teams under Prohm and we don't have that much to show for it. I think, in general, Prohm has under performed considering the amount of talent on each team - and done it consistently.

Even with Hoiberg's players, in 2015-16 we started the season ranked in the Top 5 and finished 10-8 in the conference. We did make a sweet 16 which is great. 2016-7 was the only year we maintained our position and actually improved towards the end of the year. 2017-8 was a disaster. 2018-19 I don't think anyone would argue that we vastly underachieved. And then we have this year. This trend doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Prohm can develop players and winning teams.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron