Are we being to harsh

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Drew0311, Feb 25, 2020.

1. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,599 / 156 / -6
    Of course its hard. And no one is saying we should have won it all. But go back and look at the number of programs that have made it to an Elite 8. And we haven't really been close, even with a lot of talent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. cycloneworld

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,599 / 156 / -6
    I don't think you have a good grasp of what it takes to land and stick in the NBA. Even bench guys are insanely good. And we have Monte, Thomas, Niang, and Nader actually getting minutes night in and night out. Burton bounces back and forth and Naz is basically stuck in the G-league. But are you arguing those guys aren't talented and that we shouldn't have won more with them?

3. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    IT
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +19,629 / 794 / -20
    Oh, those D holes. Yeah, those have suffered enough already I think.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +2,508 / 353 / -48
    I take a much more eye-test approach than you, and while I don't deny Lindell is or was a better defender than Lewis, what you mentioned in your Wigginton piece is what stood out to me most; he appeared disinterested at time when he wasn't the on ball defender, and it could lead to an easy bucket for the other team. Lack of effort would be a good way to sum it up for Lindell. With Terrence, I'm not sure it's an effort issue, but something between the ears maybe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +9,759 / 367 / -1
    I really have to ask you people. What were you expecting???

Anyone who didn't come into this season understanding that it would be a "show up and applaud effort where you see it" type of season was delusional.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GrindingAway

GrindingAway Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +704 / 8 / -0
    Everyone not just coaches makes mistakes. Playing Nixon or at least playing him with out correcting some major deficiencies is a really glaring mistake that the head coach owns. It's not been a one time mistake it's been a pattern with Nixon through the whole season and a pattern with Prohm's lineups almost every year.

To be clear at this point in the season I do think Nixon needs to be on the court. We are lacking ball handling and he can at least handle the ball. He's a senior and he wants to finish his career on the court. There's expectations he has to meet to be on the court though. His shot selection has to improve significantly or he sits. That's really not a hard coaching message to send. Steve took him out eventually for it, but it went on far too long before that happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. cycfan1

cycfan1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +1,063 / 121 / -9
    It wasn't just shot selection, it was attitude last night.
    4-5 possessions without a single pass.
    Catching a ball standing out of bounds.
    Careless turnover letting someone come up from behind on a 1 on 5 fastbreak.
    lackluster defense.

Grill needs to get his head straight and start making shots - but at this point theres not a reason Nixon isn't in a very limited backup role. He completely plays lost out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cycl1

Cycl1 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    M.E.
    North Liberty
    Ratings:
    +990 / 31 / -7
    Right, Nixon led us in shots missed, 3 pt shots missed, turnovers, and fouls. He shot 1-10 overall and 0-4 from 3. How demoralizing must it be as a big man like Solomon to run down the court, only to have Nixon throw up a shot without making a single pass when his percentages for the year are abysmal, and not have a coach do anything to correct the issue?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. sheepplucker

sheepplucker Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 309 / -114
    I think we can all agree if the offense comes out like it did this year chucking 3s and it takes prohm half the season for the 3rd year in a row to force the guards to make effort to try to get our bigs involved in the offense he should be fired. Maybe even in the middle of a game.. that’s how annoying it was watching the guards pretend they are all elite shooters early in the season.

10. CYphyllis

CYphyllis Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,248 / 200 / -11
    No, not even close to being overly harsh. The program is in the tank and apathy has fully set in.

Like Steve as a person, it's unfortunate it didn't work out, but if you keep him around next year it's nothing more than a lame duck season. Fans will know it, opposing coaches will know it and most importantly recruits will know it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4,353 / 115 / -4
    Sorry - thought I was looking at career starts in Basketball Reference, but was looking at this year only.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2,077 / 155 / -4
    I don't disagree that those are talented players. And ISU probably SHOULD have won more. But, how much more are we talking? I mean, you have a roster with a 6'4 guy playing PF in THT who is more interested in getting up shots than playing team ball...eventually, that's going to bite you. Same with Burton playing some 5...eventually in the tournament, you are going to run into a dominant post and if the shots aren't falling, you are going to lose.

I will agree that a great coach could have squeezed a couple more wins out of those rosters and I wouldn't be upset if Pollard dropped the hammer tomorrow. But, you can only expect to go so far with a bunch of fringe NBA players and undersized in the post unless you get really lucky.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4,353 / 115 / -4
    Actually, preseason #7 in AP and coaches, and that assumed Naz playing. Then a few games later Naz goes down for the year. Finished #21/22 then went to a Sweet 16. I don't think considering the Naz injury I don't think that finish is really underachieving.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4,310 / 148 / -7
    Shayok yes. THT and Wiggy were def not sure things leaving though. Last year at this time most didnt think either would get drafted, especially Wiggy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. cycloneworld

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +3,599 / 156 / -6
    I don't think we under achieved that year...more like met expectations. But to go 10-8 in conference with that roster is crazy. Same with last year's team, 9-9 with that roster is crazy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. LanningIsBakersDaddy

LanningIsBakersDaddy Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Papillion, NE
    Ratings:
    +326 / 8 / -0
    Oh no worries, I was just thinking that both Monte and Nader had a good string of starts this season due to injury. Good to see them getting so much playing time though.

17. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Ratings:
    +6,696 / 431 / -19
    Ironically enough, we lost a tournament game because Burton didn't play enough at the 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +8,156 / 737 / -17
    keep Naz on the court. Keep jameel’s head right about being made to practice and be accountable thing. Then add Burton in January.

that team could have conceivably won a few more games. But Oklahoma Kansas and West Virginia were really good that year. Not sure we would have finished ahead of them, regardless.

but Burton was the playing the 5 for goodness sake

I know the revision is that this team should have certainly been in the hunt for a natty. After all with the history of our program being what it is, what’s achieving more than all but one team in the 115 years of basketball played at this place?

should be a piece of cake, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +5,193 / 484 / -56
    Most programs have ups and downs, unless you are Kansas, Duke, UNC.

20. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +5,193 / 484 / -56
    I blame Prohm 100% for this season. I also give him 100% of the credit for his first two years and last year.