Is Lewis injured because

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Why are his minutes per game lower than any other scholarship player at this point (if you take out the outlier game that he started)?
  • Why is he trusted to start in the event of an injury, but to only see 2 minutes of game action last night?
  • Why does her have the fewest played games of any scholarship player? He has played in 65% of games. Next lowest is 90%.
  • Why is Coach Prohm consistently mismanaging rosters?
  • When will Terrance leave to play for a coach that might give him an opportunity. If is does, I will thank him for his contributions, wish him the best of luck, and completely understand his decision.
End Rant"

Why do people constantly do things like this? I am the best shooter in my Sunday night pick up game (if you take out all of my terrible misses).

I for years was defending Lewis and I still want him to succeed. But for a bunch of keyboard coaches to sit here and proclaim that Prohm is not giving him more minutes because of some personal vendetta without knowing the whole story is asinine.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If you want, you can, sure. If I look at the game against WVU, the one thing I noticed that killed us was something that has killed us in many other games, and it’s not what most will gravitate towards.

It’s rebounding. Particularly on the defensive end. Against WVU, we had a total of 19 defensive rebound. WVU had 15 (!) offensive rebounds, and many of them resulted in easy put backs.

Here are the defensive rebounding stats from the WVU game:

- Jacobson with 5 in 34 minutes
- Haliburton with 4 in 39 minutes
- Bolton with 3 in 34 minutes
- Conditt with 3 in 20 minutes
- Lewis with 2 in 12 minutes
- Nixon with 1 in 17 minutes
- Griffin with 1 in 11 minutes
- Solo with 0 in 20 minutes (was also 0-8 from the floor)
- Jackson with 0 in 19 minutes (at least he is starting to put the ball on the hoop)

Taking the above numbers to 40 minutes, and Lewis was the 2nd most effective player on the defensive glass (behind Jacobson).

Twins...when you (or others) say “he just isn’t good enough”, I think you are showing a bias that the stats/metrics simply do not support

OK if it makes it easier to say there's a reason he doesn't play I'll just stick with that. I mean Lewis ended up 8 points, 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 12 min at WVU. If you just look at the points and rebounds it doesn't seem like he played bad but if you watched his effort out there and then factor in his points came in at the end of the game vs their bench it doesn't look as good lol

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
OK if it makes it easier to say there's a reason he doesn't play I'll just stick with that. I mean Lewis ended up 8 points, 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 12 min at WVU. If you just look at the points and rebounds it doesn't seem like he played bad but if you watched his effort out there and then factor in his points came in at the end of the game vs their bench it doesn't look as good lol

You can't take anything from that game it was such a mismatch physically (and they flop).

We would have had to be the headiest players ever to stay in a game in their gym and we're not.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You can't take anything from that game it was such a mismatch physically (and they flop).

We would have had to be the headiest players ever to stay in a game in their gym and we're not.
Yeah, this is one of the things officials often do that drives me the most crazy. A player or team will be super aggressive and physical running people over and slamming into opponents in the post without a whistle. Then suddenly this big 6'8" 270 lb. guy gets touched by a guy who isn't even 200 lbs. soaking wet and the big guy flies to the floor like he got shot by a howitzer and suddenly the whistle comes out.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
- Jacobson with 5 in 34 minutes
- Haliburton with 4 in 39 minutes
- Bolton with 3 in 34 minutes
- Conditt with 3 in 20 minutes
- Lewis with 2 in 12 minutes
- Nixon with 1 in 17 minutes
- Griffin with 1 in 11 minutes
- Solo with 0 in 20 minutes (was also 0-8 from the floor)
- Jackson with 0 in 19 minutes (at least he is starting to put the ball on the hoop)

Honestly, I didn't watch the game Wednesday, so I can't say exactly how they played, but just looking at the rebound stat may not tell the whole story.

Generally against a big front line like WVU it's the job of the bigs to box out their big, so the guards can come in for the rebound. WVU's leading offensive rebounder was their 6'7 guard. It was his mismatch, and lack of our guard box outs, that allowed him to get inside for rebounds.

Again, I wasn't able to watch to see exactly what took place, but I do think it's unfair to only apply an individual's raw # of rebounds, to his rebounding effort.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Honestly, I didn't watch the game Wednesday, so I can't say exactly how they played, but just looking at the rebound stat may not tell the whole story.

Generally against a big front line like WVU it's the job of the bigs to box out their big, so the guards can come in for the rebound. WVU's leading offensive rebounder was their 6'7 guard. It was his mismatch, and lack of our guard box outs, that allowed him to get inside for rebounds.

Again, I wasn't able to watch to see exactly what took place, but I do think it's unfair to only apply an individual's raw # of rebounds, to his rebounding effort.

You're better off.

It's one of the few I've seen because of the Plus thing and lordy.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
T-Lew has reached Jerome Tiller mythical status.

Look there was a time (back in December) that I was in the camp he should be getting more minutes. Since then when he plays I have pretty much locked in on him on the floor and I'm no longer in that camp.

He's a career 30% 3 point shooter than stands out on a bad defensive team as a really bad defender.

He seems like a great guy and I really wanted the guy to succeed. Would he be more successful if there was better defensive coaching and he had more consistent playing time. Maybe. But unless you are just biased to remember the good spots it's pretty hard to objectively argue he deserves more time. That's coming from a former leading member of the play T-Lew more fan club.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Hi Twins! I generally really enjoy your contributions, but I am a pretty data and metrics driven individual. I am hoping that you can clarify a couple of your statements as I seek to understand your thoughts. You have mentioned that T. Lew, "... can't defend and he can't shoot." With regard to defense, I dont have access to any advanced metrics. I know that you have mentioned DWS in this thread, but can you help me understand what that means? My assumption is that Lewis ranks last on that metric based on what you have said above. Is that the case? My understanding is that DWS estimates the number of wins a player produces for his team due to his defensive ability, and that a low DWS is an indicator of poor performance. It seems to me that the DWS ought to be compared to an OWS (if that is a thing) to determine a net conribution to a win. Feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding the metric. As far as I can tell that metric doesn't tell a complete story about an individual's full ability to help his team win.

Do you happen to know where he ranks on the defensive efficiency scale compared to his teammates?

With regard to criticizing T. Lew because, "...he can't shoot," I did take some time to evaluate those metrics after the second Baylor game, as I understand them better. My conclusion is that Terrance is actually among the better shooters - and scorers for that matter if you prefer to differentiate - on the team. I posted the thoughts below less than a week ago, and I would bet that the numbers, nor the sentiment, have changed much. Given the traffic on this thread, other Fanatics might find it to be an interesting analysis.

"I have so many thoughts. I have been at every home game this year except for Kansas (I was on a work trip, and it ended up being a blessing in disguise). I am going to go on a bit of a rant, feel free to ignore.

Thing one, I really like Prohm… as a person. And as a recruiter. I cannot, however, understand his coaching (or lack thereof) decisions 90% of the time.

Last night, on so many possessions, we did not make it more than 2-3 feet inside the 3 point line with the ball at any point. Several of those possessions, we did not even make it that far. One of those possessions was on what I think was Bolton’s second made three. He stood at the top of the key, waited for the offense to get set up, and with out a single pass, jacked up a contested three ball with 8 seconds left on the shot clock. He made it, and the crowd roared, but let’s not let that distract us from how terrible of a possession that was. Those points were not scored by coaching, but rather an individual effort.

With regards to roster management, I think he is woefully stubborn.

Terrance brings a lot to the court:

Willingness to go after boards (outrebounded by 11 last night). He is tied with Haliburton for highest rebounds per minute from a guard (Zion is higher, but listed as a forward) – with fewer opportunities than any other scholarship player.

Slashing ability – Key on a team that stands around the perimeter. Just a note – two of the three possessions last night that I watched specifically for this, Grill stood in the corner – AND LITERALLY DIDN’T MOVE. Did not take a single step. That is either Caleb not knowing what to do, or TERRIBLE coaching.

Steadfastness – Has stuck with the program when many other players wouldn’t have – and is getting passed over by players who are worse by both metrics, and the eye test.

Scoring – He is our second highest scoring guard in points per minute (if you don’t include Schuster). On a team that struggles to break 50 on any given night, perhaps adding some scoring wouldn’t be a bad idea.
  1. Bolton
  2. Conditt
  3. Schuster
  4. Young
  5. LEWIS

Further, He is our highest guard in field goal percentage (if you don’t include Schuster), behind only Haliburton.

He is third in 3 point percentage (if you don’t include Steyer), behind only Haliburton and Bolton.

Last night, there were exactly 3 players who made more than 1 basket. Bolton, Haliburton and Conditt. Despite that, Conditt got fewer minutes than everybody EXCEPT Lewis and Grill. When we are getting annihilated in the post, does it matter who is getting annihilated? In that case, PUT IN SOME DAMN SCORING!

Not particularly Turnover Prone. He has the fourth best turnover per minute rating on the team, outside of walk-ons. Only Nixon, Grill (who doesn’t handle the ball at all), and Jacobson are better.

Given all of this, I have a few questions:
  • Why are his minutes per game lower than any other scholarship player at this point (if you take out the outlier game that he started)?
  • Why is he trusted to start in the event of an injury, but to only see 2 minutes of game action last night?
  • Why does her have the fewest played games of any scholarship player? He has played in 65% of games. Next lowest is 90%.
  • Why is Coach Prohm consistently mismanaging rosters?
  • When will Terrance leave to play for a coach that might give him an opportunity. If is does, I will thank him for his contributions, wish him the best of luck, and completely understand his decision.
End Rant"

You can find OWS and DWS data on basketball reference. They are not metrics that are adjusted for playing time though so somewhat hard to apply in T-Lews case.

You are absolutely correct in most of your rant though. Coach Prohm has never been good at playing time/rotation management in my opinion and this year has been his worst by far and that's saying something.

I have said this in numerous posts but if we played our best line ups/rotations and for the guys that just need to fill out those line ups/minutes (role players) we clearly defined their role (don't shoot high volume when you don't shoot well) we'd have a pretty efficient offense. Playing the best players and limiting shoots that have low efficiency seems pretty fundamental and fairly easy to fix, but Prohm doesn't seem to have a grasp on it yet.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm still a HUGE fan of TLew, but I too am starting to see things that CSP and staff must have known all along. One great thing that I like is that he is almost always an interview in the post game. That tells me he is not bitter about his role, I think he knows and I think he also is trying very hard to get more time, but it's just not working.

And I've been a CSP defender as well, but I'm very frustrated with his rotations. I know that he plays the rotation that matches the scouting report, and I think they do a great job of scouting teams and they put together a really good game plan. But like most of you it really seems this group struggles to manage the changes needed in game. I think if CSP found a game manager we would love CSP and all of his players.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That's the first thing I've seen that doesn't have him the worst defender on the team. Now he's only second worst! Lol

If you look at the stats you quote here though, and only these stats, it’s pretty clear Lewis should be playing ahead of, say, Nixon right?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think that stats are skewed with when Lewis plays but yeah I can't stand Nixon

So, those particular stats are a result of the point in the game that he gets some run. Meaning, he has “plus” numbers to others because he plays when it’s meaningless.

Don’t forget he played during the opening minutes of the Oklahoma game, and was a major contributor during the stretch that blew that game open. It was a 1 point game when he entered (believe we were down 1). When he left, we were up 12, and he had 8 points.

I do think though that you have hit on why this thread was started and has over 900 posts. People are wondering why he doesn’t get meaningful run when it appears he does provide more than others who play a ton of minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Don’t forget he played during the opening minutes of the Oklahoma game, and was a major contributor during the stretch that blew that game open. It was a 1 point game when he entered (believe we were down 1). When he left, we were up 12, and he had 8 points.

Nixon has played well in a few games too. He still sucks