*** Official IOWA STATE vs #23 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So the vocal minority wants a coaching change at the end of the year. Ok, cost is 10 million, now who are we going to get? Give me names, not there are a lot of coaches that will take the position.

I remember this moronic argument during the mcdermott and rhoads eras as well.

It isnt the fans jobs to 'name names'. It is the AD's job to find a good hire. If you go to a restaurant and the food sucks, it isnt on you to tell the chef how to cook it properly, but you can still identify that the food tastes like ****.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
So the vocal minority wants a coaching change at the end of the year. Ok, cost is 10 million, now who are we going to get? Give me names, not there are a lot of coaches that will take the position.

I don’t think a coaching change after this season would be healthy for the program; however, Prohm needs to make some sort of adjustment to his program.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I remember this moronic argument during the mcdermott and rhoads eras as well.

It isnt the fans jobs to 'name names'. It is the AD's job to find a good hire. If you go to a restaurant and the food sucks, it isnt on you to tell the chef how to cook it properly, but you can still identify that the food tastes like ****.

Clearly not the job of fans to come up with potential candidates. But, with some of these posters that are able to criticize the basketball program at every aspect, is it too much for them to name someone that checks the boxes for them?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seriously though, probably add TJ?

I think with TJ, seeing what he does with 2 years at UNLV first might play a part, but that is also seeing what CSP does next season, which is likely more realistic than cutting him loose now.

I'd like to know why Leath wanted CSP over TJ...and did TJ vie for the ISU job? Did Fred lobby for him?

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I think with TJ, seeing what he does with 2 years at UNLV first might play a part, but that is also seeing what CSP does next season, which is likely more realistic than cutting him loose now.

I'd like to know why Leath wanted CSP over TJ...and did TJ vie for the ISU job? Did Fred lobby for him?
Leath did not pick any candidate, he just would not let JP "hand" the job to TJ without a full scale process first. If TJ came from that, it was fine.
The process selected Bryce Drew who turned us down and then it selected Prohm. Pollard ran the process, not Leath.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Craig Smith, Utah St.
Mike Rhoades, VCU
Chris Jans, New Mexico St.
John Becker, Vermont
Russell Turner, UC Irvine

I'm not advocating for a coaching change, just providing a list of coaches.

Throw money at Gregg Marshall or Dana Altman. We really need to quit trying to strike gold with these unproven mid major hires and bring in someone who has solidified themselves in college basketball. Youd think with football having success the money we can pull from would be greatly increased from the last coaching search.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Leath did not pick any candidate, he just would not let JP "hand" the job to TJ without a full scale process first. If TJ came from that, it was fine.
The process selected Bryce Drew who turned us down and then it selected Prohm. Pollard ran the process, not Leath.
I remember Pollard saying that the job could’ve gone to TJ, but TJ lacked head-coaching experience that the other candidates had. I was really rooting for TJ though and was disappointed he did not get it the job here. He ran the same type of offense we used to have at South Dakota

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Throw money at Gregg Marshall or Dana Altman. We really need to quit trying to strike gold with these unproven mid major hires and bring in someone who has solidified themselves in college basketball. Youd think with football having success the money we can pull from would be greatly increased from the last coaching search.
In either of these events, we'd be paying more for a basketball coach than we are for the successful football coach you're referring to, most like firmly placing either one of them as a top-10 paid coach in the country...for a ground-up rebuild at a non-blueblood school.

Do you really think we're going to do that? It'd be an absolute miracle, assuming it works in the first place. And that also assumes these guys have a desire to move.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
1) you are out of touch- it is not a vocal minority. It is also is not everyone yelling for a firing either.
2) it is not 10 million. It is 50% of $12.7 million
3) I don't know of anyone who wants Steve to fail. Fact is, the program is 44-39 and 14-27 in the Big 12 since October of 2017 and 16 of those losses came by 14 or more points. Sadly, there is more beat downs coming our way so brace yourselves.
4) this is a low estimate but the ISU job is at worst a top 40 job out of the 300 plus D1 basketball jobs out there. At best, it is a Top 25 job in the sport. One of the nation's most revered home courts, an iconic fan base in coaching circles and a great conference. All of that off sets some recruiting and weather disadvantages that hurt us. We can land some surprising candidates depending on what we wish to spend. We typically choose not to go that route but we can.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It’s still his 1st season. He did really well at South Dakota
I get that it's year one, that tells me this isn't the time to poach him without notable success. We're currently trying to fire our coach who had some meaningful success at the mid-major level with nothing past that. Is it worth a pretty sizable buyout just to start that exact same process over again?

• Winner
Reactions: cycl144

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

I wouldn't call any of these coaches unproven. They've all led teams to the NCAA tournament multiple times. I don't think Iowa State is going to outbid Oregon for Altman and Marshall could have just about any job he wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: Lafaester54

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Craig Smith, Utah St.
Mike Rhoades, VCU
John Becker, Vermont

no upgrades here

should they decide to make a coaching change after next year, this is the correct route. if Iowa State wants to be a solidified program they need a proven coach. There is no Hoiberg walking through that door.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Craig Smith, Utah St.
Mike Rhoades, VCU
John Becker, Vermont

people already got CPR last name wrong....

Reactions: MeowingCows

Help Support Us

Become a patron