KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
I’d like to see you find me a judge that even entertains iHeart trying to go after one of the fired employees. They fired them. They terminated their contract.
Again, iHeart has a staff of lawyers that do just that...enforce their contracts.

There will be 4 words to look for in the non-compete clause of the contract, "termination for any reason". If they didn't negotiate that term out of the contract before they signed it......see ya in 6 months.

• Funny
Reactions: Urbandale2013

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Media has done themselves no favors either. We get crappy music on the radio. Crappy DJs. Ad after Ad. Same for print media. Papers like the Rag have little to content, and if they do there is little local news in it.

Yeah, gannett squeezed a lot of the local content out of its papers and then was like "why does no one buy this, people are just cheap!".

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
These are still available...
5019323_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Hey, i've had one of those. Sound quality was about on par with the radio station signal since I was right on the edge. Pretty sure my older car does not have an aux input. The newer car does but the sound is not great as you have to crank the volume.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Disappointed they're pretended like nothing happened. Can they not address what's going on?
Yeah I'm sure Trent was told to absolutely not say anything about it. I've seen it done at other radio stations before when similar things have happened.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and SaraV

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Media has done themselves no favors either. We get crappy music on the radio. Crappy DJs. Ad after Ad. Same for print media. Papers like the Rag have little to content, and if they do there is little local news in it.

As someone that listens to radio quite a bit during work, I've found Public Radio (The Current in Minnesota, WFUV in NYNY....etc.) to be a godsend from a music perspective. Few ads and fewer bad DJ's while the music is better than anything the IHeart station puts forth.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydar and Cyientist

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Again, iHeart has a staff of lawyers that do just that...enforce their contracts.

There will be 4 words to look for in the non-compete clause of the contract, "termination for any reason". If they didn't negotiate that term out of the contract before they signed it......see ya in 6 months.
Yep. I wonder how many months they still get paid for or are they just completely cut-off pretty much right away?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m not smart enough to do this but it would really cool to get like an hour or two of the “greatest moments” kind of stuff from the fanatics

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
The beer with Bruno thing was one of my least favorites to be honest especially when they started talking about something they were sampling in studio it doesn't do me much good to hear someone talk about something I am not drinking.

I'll miss Sean because while I find him to be a moron, his lack of common sense and getting worked up over dumb things or get fooled easily made for some entertaining radio and could make us all feel that much smarter. The marriage license bit in December had to been one of the funniest segments I have heard in awhile, he took the bait hook line and sinker. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person but man he sure is gullible and doesn't know when to just stop and admit it instead of digging a bigger hole for himself.

Not sure what I will do to fill the voids during my drive times now, both the Morning Rush and Sports Fanatics were great shows that filled that time for me. Even my wife who is not into sports talk radio started listening to the Morning Rush awhile back because she thought it was more entertaining to listen to than most other options on local radio.

Disagree, the morning rush was terrible. It was a regular show in a sports world. They hardly ever talked in-depth about local sports. Not that it matters, but this is proof- yesterday on the way to work, with 5 minutes left in the show, Travis says, "oh hawks play tonight." I'm not a hawk fan, but fact is this is local radio and him being a hawk fan he couldn't even bring up or talk about any part of the match up with any sort of analysis is hilarious. Only reason I ever listened to it because there wasn't much else on. Most of the show was talked about baseless things and picking on Sean. For being classified as a sports show, they barely talked about sports.

Sports Fanatics is the bigger loss. Chris and Ross together was actual sports talk, both local and national. That's what I'm highly disappointed with. Even though Ross was a Hawk, he brought great points up, and complimented Chris well in their talks. iHeart sucks. Also couldn't ever figure out why I couldn't get any cyclone games on their app even when it was 100.3.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Mine is eight years old (model year 2013) and has all those bells and whistles, but it is the "sport package" that is supposed to have all that premium stuff.

My wife's car is the same make and model year but the "base" package. It has, at least, an AM/FM radio and an AUX cable with the cable to "fix" the issue.

I am surprised a car that age would not have at least an AUX in its base package.

Wait so you and your wife have the same make, model and year car?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Severance packages are more rare than job security in radio.

Starting to wonder if this is the new normal. I got nothing when half of the company was sold or eliminated

Luckily it was California and I had a few months of unused vacation that I got paid for. Lasted long enough to find the next opportunity

New company will only let me roll a week. Don't like that.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
This sucks. I use the I heart Radio app to listen to fanatics almost daily. Since I live in AZ this, and Cyclone fanatic are how I get most of my news/discussion about Iowa State.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Also couldn't ever figure out why I couldn't get any cyclone games on their app even when it was 100.3.

I'm not sure of all the specifics or reasons why, but broadcast rights are different that streaming rights. 100.3 has the broadcast rights for the DSM market, but can't stream it because Tune In has the streaming rights.

It should be available on the Tune In app. Just search for Iowa State Football or Iowa State Basketball.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I can confirm. Saw Sig and Mrs. Sig coming out of Dunkin Donuts this morning and snapped this pic:
images

I'm glad her "base" package on that model at least came with an auxiliary port. Get what you pay for I guess.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Disagree, the morning rush was terrible. It was a regular show in a sports world. They hardly ever talked in-depth about local sports. Not that it matters, but this is proof- yesterday on the way to work, with 5 minutes left in the show, Travis says, "oh hawks play tonight." I'm not a hawk fan, but fact is this is local radio and him being a hawk fan he couldn't even bring up or talk about any part of the match up with any sort of analysis is hilarious. Only reason I ever listened to it because there wasn't much else on. Most of the show was talked about baseless things and picking on Sean. For being classified as a sports show, they barely talked about sports.

Sports Fanatics is the bigger loss. Chris and Ross together was actual sports talk, both local and national. That's what I'm highly disappointed with. Even though Ross was a Hawk, he brought great points up, and complimented Chris well in their talks. iHeart sucks. Also couldn't ever figure out why I couldn't get any cyclone games on their app even when it was 100.3.

I kind of liked that the Morning Rush was not 100% sports talk actually. They had just enough sports related stuff mixed in with the "other" just like Murph and Andy does too that it keeps things loose and fun. I remember when Larry Cotlar was the morning show and everyone here was saying how awful Cotlar and Company was and he was WAY more sports talk than anything that has filled that time slot since he was fired. Could they of had more sports related guests on than Seneca and Mark Farley? Sure, they did lack some regular guests that other shows have but I'm sure it's also hard to find people interested in calling into a show from 6-8am, especially if they are in a time zone where it could be an hour or 2 earlier than Iowa. I'll miss that show just like I will miss Sports Fanatics even more, not sure what I will fill the void with now as the national shows suck and I am not much for shock jock radio either.