KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
For bad reasons, but I can't wait to hear Andy's take on the whole thing. To be honest, I wonder if Iheart would not air the show based off of them cutting Ken off during his discussion of the topic.
I just saw a facebook post from Murph that he and Andy are not doing a show today.

• Informative
Reactions: CYdTracked

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
They can go to another station immediately if they want to face a potential lawsuit. And believe me, iFart has a stable of lawyers.

I did 30 years in radio here and in many other markets for many large companies.

Believe me, the standard employment contracts in broadcast media are very one sided in favor of the company. But as many here have mentioned, if you're willing to jump through enough hoops and fight hard enough (pony up for a lawyer), you can sometimes get relief.
I’d like to see you find me a judge that even entertains iHeart trying to go after one of the fired employees. They fired them. They terminated their contract.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Being laid off is one of the most deflating feelings ever. I went through it last year and it was one of the best things to happen to my career but when you get the news it completely sucks. If there's a silver lining for these guys hopefully it's that they all land on their feet in an even better situation.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
People decided somewhere in the 1990s and the 2000s that they did not want to pay for print or electronic media somewhere. We are reaping what we sow.

Well that and in both industries the waves of consolidation did not help as well. A lot of giants bought up massive numbers of print and radio outlets and proceeded to squeeze every penny out of them, often at the cost of local content and talents, causing people to see less value in them and quit subscribing.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Being laid off is one of the most deflating feelings ever. I went through it last year and it was one of the best things to happen to my career but when you get the news it completely sucks. If there's a silver lining for these guys hopefully it's that they all land on their feet in an even better situation.

Same thing happened to me last year. It sucks but the other side has been better.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
People decided somewhere in the 1990s and the 2000s that they did not want to pay for print or electronic media somewhere. We are reaping what we sow.

Media has done themselves no favors either. We get crappy music on the radio. Crappy DJs. Ad after Ad. Same for print media. Papers like the Rag have little to content, and if they do there is little local news in it.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I mean this with humor to lighten the situation, but

200.gif

nice u boot licking boomer. 2050 cant come soon enough

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Media has done themselves no favors either. We get crappy music on the radio. Crappy DJs. Ad after Ad. Same for print media. Papers like the Rag have little to content, and if they do there is little local news in it.
I 100% agree with this post. If the content was better, maybe other avenue's to get our media fix wouldn't be as appealing. The downside comes when a void is created by lack of content. There is not much listening content out there for local teams other than CycloneFanatic. I love the site, but I will take in all content I can get my hands on. National shows could care less about Iowa and Iowa State. UNI, Drake, and other high school sports coverage will suffer even more since there is no way to get that content.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I went through it about 4 years ago and it ended up being one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Help Support Us

Become a patron