*** Official Oklahoma Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Nice win by the fellas tonight, much needed but still great to get. What a strong finish to the first half. I did start to get a little nervous when OU narrowed it down to 13, but a nice run by the men got us back to the 20 pt mark to ride out to the finish.

Nice crowd on hand there were holes in it but not bad really (maybe a 1,000 empty seats). The crowd responded well when we needed to and had something going on the court to support. Congrats to the team for a nice win on a chilly evening.

It was a must win, but the surprising thing was how we dominated them. It's not like we just sneaked out a win---and sneaking a win would have been GREAT with the way things were going. We played well almost the entire game and were clearly the better team tonight.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I see a few of the usual d-bags didn’t even bother to show up in the game thread today and I see a few semi d-bags that saved up all day expecting to be able to splooge all
over this team and instead have to settle for splooging all over a sock.

v05uV.gif

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Great win, nice to see the lineup changes. Great to see Jackson make some- if he can consistently do that it’d be huge. Active, aggressive defense.

Amazing what making a few 3’s can do- 37% is good, but not incredible. But man it makes a difference.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Really wish the guys could’ve closed it out at TCU - sitting at 2-1 in the conference with this brutal stretch coming up would’ve felt different
TCU and Florida A&M are going to sting all year. Even just psychologically for the players and the fanbase the difference between 10-5 vs. 8-7 is pretty stark. It happened and there is no silver lining in those 2 losses, but there are a lot of quality opportunities that remain.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Nice win by the fellas tonight, much needed but still great to get. What a strong finish to the first half. I did start to get a little nervous when OU narrowed it down to 13, but a nice run by the men got us back to the 20 pt mark to ride out to the finish.

Nice crowd on hand there were holes in it but not bad really (maybe a 1,000 empty seats). The crowd responded well when we needed to and had something going on the court to support. Congrats to the team for a nice win on a chilly evening.

I'm assuming a good number of those empty seats were parents that didn't feel comfortable having their children within 100 yards of Manek's mustache.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Of course it's the game I completely forget about that they do this in. For the rest of yall I'll do my best to keep forgetting and see how far we can ride this ****

I was at a family birthday party for one of my nieces and was unable to watch or pay any attention to it. I will follow your lead.

Reactions: Snydes

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
Was at the game, first one this season. Observations:

*TH is a treat. Makes so many great decisions. Makes everyone around him better, without a question. Needs to hunt his shot more, but I know that’s not his MO. Most enjoyable end to half that I can remember..

*GC is a beast. Works his ass off and definitely made the most of his first start.

*TL had a great game. Any beef about his defensive abilities was proven. I think talent wise he is well deserved of his 4-star recruit rating out of HS. Nice shooting stroke.

*Bolton is an offensive plus a and a defensive minus. Great driving to the basket and heir apparent to TH at the 1, but needs to wake upon defense sometimes,especially after scoring himself. Seems like the better he does offensively the worse his effort on D.

*TJ made his mark. Impressed.

*Hard time believing ZG is 6-8, because the dude can move. Athleticism like that will make it harder to keep him off the floor.

*Love the effort from everyone on the team, but especially Solo on the defensive side. Strong presence. I think he responded positively to losing his starting position by showing leadership by example: toughness.

*Nixon needs to have a shot limit. Incredible defense,kind of the opposite of RB in my opinion. Cringe when he shoots a three, but better closer in.

Overall a great defensive effort and shot very well. Defensive effort like this should keep them competitive moving forward on nights when the shots aren’t falling plentifully as tonight.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The team, coaches and fans needed a win like that. Sorry thing is, as poorly as we have played this year, we should be 2-1 in the conference right now. Always foul when you are up by 3 in the last ten seconds. I see where North Carolina made that same mistake today and like us, lost in OT.
Analytics suggest you have about an equal chance of winning choosing to foul or not foul with a slight edge towards not foul. TCU made a lucky shot, it happens.

https://kenpom.com/blog/yet-another-study-about-fouling-when-up-3/

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
TCU and Florida A&M are going to sting all year. Even just psychologically for the players and the fanbase the difference between 10-5 vs. 8-7 is pretty stark. It happened and there is no silver lining in those 2 losses, but there are a lot of quality opportunities that remain.

At least TCU is still looking like a good team. Maybe that loss won't be as bad as we originally thought?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
At least TCU is still looking like a good team. Maybe that loss won't be as bad as we originally thought?
I don’t think anyone should conclude a loss on the road vs. TCU was “bad”. If they do, they need to re-evaluate their expectations.

The TCU game hurts just given how close ISU was in stealing that game after coming off the inexcusable Florida A&M loss.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Was at the game, first one this season. Observations:

*TH is a treat. Makes so many great decisions. Makes everyone around him better, without a question. Needs to hunt his shot more, but I know that’s not his MO. Most enjoyable end to half that I can remember..

*GC is a beast. Works his ass off and definitely made the most of his first start.

*TL had a great game. Any beef about his defensive abilities was proven. I think talent wise he is well deserved of his 4-star recruit rating out of HS. Nice shooting stroke.

*Bolton is an offensive plus a and a defensive minus. Great driving to the basket and heir apparent to TH at the 1, but needs to wake upon defense sometimes,especially after scoring himself. Seems like the better he does offensively the worse his effort on D.

*TJ made his mark. Impressed.

*Hard time believing ZG is 6-8, because the dude can move. Athleticism like that will make it harder to keep him off the floor.

*Love the effort from everyone on the team, but especially Solo on the defensive side. Strong presence. I think he responded positively to losing his starting position by showing leadership by example: toughness.

*Nixon needs to have a shot limit. Incredible defense,kind of the opposite of RB in my opinion. Cringe when he shoots a three, but better closer in.

Overall a great defensive effort and shot very well. Defensive effort like this should keep them competitive moving forward on nights when the shots aren’t falling plentifully as tonight.

ZG is not 6-8. More like 6–6.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
LOL at this thread. If I had only read this thread and not watched the game I would have thought Lewis was Jordan. He played well and his defensive intensity was refreshing but he disappeared in the second half. Hope he can continue helping this team.

Jackson is the player that really provided the bump that we needed on offense. His shooting will be key for Continued success.

Nixon needs to be playing, but like many on here have been saying his shot selection has been the problem. He's been actually very efficient player if he limits his long range shots and attacks the basket. Good mid range and in.

Griffin just looks lost out there both on offense and defense. His effort is there but he's such a liability it's hard for Prohm to keep him out there. Hopefully the light comes on soon because he's prob the best option for the spread 4.

The odd man out unfortunately might be MJ. Looks like his mins will be limited to what the opposing teams puts out there.

Wish the team realized earlier what they needed to do to win. I hope it's not too late and they keep it up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron