SOURCE- Campbell signs with ISU

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Love or hate him, Urban knows football and he knows coaching.

Urban does know coaching but he doesn't always know what motivates "stars" like CMC. Meyer to this day doesn't understand why Campbell chose, and has decided to stay in Ames.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Reading through this thread I forgot how much I dislike David Ubben. He's the reason I don't use the ESPN boards anymore.

Had to look him up. He is on the athletic now covering Tennessee.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Had to look him up. He is on the athletic now covering Tennessee.
Complete OU homer that wrote about the Big12 for ESPN. He was always doing under handed crap to ISU. Then he made the push to make the ESPN boards require a FB, Google+, et al identification, thereby taking away the anonymous part of it was the end for me and ESPN. KC and I joined the ISU boards after that. I'm sure there are more than us, but we knew each other before frequenting these boards.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
Urban does know coaching but he doesn't always know what motivates "stars" like CMC. Meyer to this day doesn't understand why Campbell chose, and has decided to stay in Ames.

TBF, neither do any of us. He's not a ladder-climber by nature but that doesn't mean his own motivations are in line with the fanbase's.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
TBF, neither do any of us. He's not a ladder-climber by nature but that doesn't mean his own motivations are in line with the fanbase's.
The longer things go on, and Matt's lack of interest in addressing our needy nature as a fan base makes me feel like he is staying for a while. Maybe not for his whole career but I think he intends to do real damage at ISU before he would be satisfied enough to consider leaving. Plus his kids are young, in a great school district and he makes killer money for Iowa standards.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The longer things go on, and Matt's lack of interest in addressing our needy nature as a fan base makes me feel like he is staying for a while. Maybe not for his whole career but I think he intends to do real damage at ISU before he would be satisfied enough to consider leaving. Plus his kids are young, in a great school district and he makes killer money for Iowa standards.

I would like to think he feels like he can win the Big 12 and compete with the big boys at little ISU, with a lot more tolerance from a fan base when things hit the floor for a year or 2. Tbh I’m not sure where our floor is, we seem to be set up for awhile with the young talent that we have with studs coming behind them.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90 and Jerms

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I would like to think he feels like he can win the Big 12 and compete with the big boys at little ISU, with a lot more tolerance from a fan base when things hit the floor for a year or 2. Tbh I’m not sure where our floor is, we seem to be set up for awhile with the young talent that we have with studs coming behind them.
In two years we will know where things stand as far as stability goes. Right now I see 8 win seasons or better while Campbell is here. I don't always like his decisions but he is getting it done.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We’re going to be in a fair amount of close/toss-up games annually imo, so the floor would be a bad luck year in which we lose most of those. Something like a competitive 7 loss team.

• Agree

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Pretty sure I had a wait and see mentality when I first heard of the hiring. I knew I had asked my buddy who bets a lot of MAC, knew Campbell's name pretty well. He said at the time that was the best hire ISU could have made. Well, he was right. So for now trying to keep the man in Ames part. He was of the side where he thinks he's gone when the next big job comes open. I'm of the wait and see haha.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

I think the Cyclone fan base knows a lot about why CMC is in Ames. When Arrogant Urban asks "ever been to Ames?" he's showing he's clueless about why a young up and coming coach like CMC would like living here and building a program.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think the Cyclone fan base knows a lot about why CMC is in Ames. When Arrogant Urban asks "ever been to Ames?" he's showing he's clueless about why a young up and coming coach like CMC would like living here and building a program.
Really? I thought it was showing he’s never been to Ames.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Rereading Ubben's crap is why I'm glad I'm subscribed to Pete Mundo's podcast. Does a good job covering the conference and seems to be fair to all the teams. Also has great things to say about Campbell and the current state of ISU's program

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Really? I thought it was showing he’s never been to Ames.

You could be right! Maybe Urban doesn't really know how to express himself.
Maybe you read his comment this way-- "I've never been to Ames. Matt is a 'star' coach, and it looks like he's staying there. Must be a great place."

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
We’re going to be in a fair amount of close/toss-up games annually imo, so the floor would be a bad luck year in which we lose most of those. Something like a competitive 7 loss team.

I think we’re to the point where our floor is probably like iowa’s Floor (6 wins) but our ceiling isn’t as high because we don’t play in the cakewalk that is the Big Ten West.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I sure hope this Campbell guy works out.

In related news, did you guys hear Fred Hoiberg coaches in Lincoln now?!?

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
I think we’re to the point where our floor is probably like iowa’s Floor (6 wins) but our ceiling isn’t as high because we don’t play in the cakewalk that is the Big Ten West.

I think Iowa State’s ceiling is higher going forward, better coaches and better players

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't really understand how anyone could be unhappy with this hire. We apparently wrapped him up early while others are still in a waiting mode (Mizzou). He's a very solid hire. Other than Niumatalolo, no one else on our list has 4-years experience as HC at the FBS level - and he's only 35!

whew. Always feels good when I’ve posted in a bumped thread and it’s held up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron