<<Official Movie Talk Thread>>

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I almost started my own thread on this movie. You guys gotta watch the review for this. Ironically, it is called The Fanatic...directed by...Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit. Worst movie of all time potential...packed with terrible/hiliarious one liners from John Travolta. His first line is "I gotta poo." It is made to be serious, but is hilariously bad.

Imagine all of the talented people who could have had a shot at directing movies with a decent budget instead of Fred Durst.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Latest trailer for 1917. It's just a trailer but this looks like a bonafide Best Picture winner to me. As of this moment the movies leading the pack are Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story, 1917, and Jojo Rabbit.

Hearing Ford v Ferrari is quite amazing and will be a massive success with the public. Can't wait for that one too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Latest trailer for 1917. It's just a trailer but this looks like a bonafide Best Picture winner to me. As of this moment the movies leading the pack are Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, The Irishman, Marriage Story, 1917, and Jojo Rabbit.

Hearing Ford v Ferrari is quite amazing and will be a massive success with the public. Can't wait for that one too.

Might be a cool double feature with Paths of Glory.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
'I never want to see that movie again' were the first words out of my mouth after leaving Joker tonight. And that sounds like I didn't like it but it's just so dark and too real. Very well made just so so dark and incredibly unsettling. Just brutal. Phoenix is just as good as Ledger if not better. Definitely divisive and not for everyone.

Waukee100

Aug 20, 2019
'I never want to see that movie again' were the first words out of my mouth after leaving Joker tonight. And that sounds like I didn't like it but it's just so dark and too real. Very well made just so so dark and incredibly unsettling. Just brutal. Phoenix is just as good as Ledger if not better. Definitely divisive and not for everyone.

what did you make of the ending?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
what did you make of the ending?

Hard to say I guess. One could say that the entire movie wasn't real if he's in the mental institution. Or one could say all that DID happen and we just don't know when exactly that was in the mental institution. Joker in the comics was in and out of Arkam often...maybe it was several years later? I think it happened...all the back story of the Wayne's and his parents being killed etc just seems like it's setting up for something else. But maybe not.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

That's kind of how I feel about the Sopranos, my friend is watching it for the first time so I thought I might watch again and thought...nah too emotional and dark, once was perfect.

I do wonder about DC/WB with this movie in terms of $ given how they get hammered by some for being so consistently dark. Might have been better for them to have it after WW84.

Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
That's kind of how I feel about the Sopranos, my friend is watching it for the first time so I thought I might watch again and thought...nah too emotional and dark, once was perfect.

I do wonder about DC/WB with this movie in terms of $ given how they get hammered by some for being so consistently dark. Might have been better for them to have it after WW84.

This is unlike any 'comic' movie ever made. Ever. It's so violent. It's not funny in any sense of the word. There was one scene late in the movie and a few people laughed and I have to hope they were nervous laughing because what was going on on the screen was far from humorous.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm worried alot of people will think they are going to a comic/super hero movie and pretty quickly realize they are at a horror film.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Same. I went with a couple buddies and the first thing discussed was "Yeah, that was good, but probably only a one time watch." lol

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Phoenix's rendition of the Joker by the end of the movie was perfect. He was sinister yet vulnerable, vindictive yet justified. The whole movie was dark and offputting, but the full transformation into Joker by the end was top notch by. Props to JP's performace.

The cinematography of the scene in the rain towards the end was awesome, and you could feel the climax coming. Lots of cringe, lots of shaking your head, lots of just I don't want to watch this. But it all has a meaning. It's slower to start, but I think worth the journey.

If you were interested in this movie at all, I think it's worth a watch, but I don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

The way I've described it to people after I saw it yesterday afternoon is that while it's a very well done movie and that Joaquin Phoenix lives up to the hype it's also so disturbing that I really don't know if I can recommend it.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This is unlike any 'comic' movie ever made. Ever. It's so violent. It's not funny in any sense of the word. There was one scene late in the movie and a few people laughed and I have to hope they were nervous laughing because what was going on on the screen was far from humorous.
Eh your opinion I guess. There was a lot of what you described but also some pretty funny parts. I definitely have a darker sense of humor but that aside I also left that movie blown away.
the moment in the apartment was absolutely brilliant. The way JP captured the feeling and complete crazy followed by him letting the other guy out of the room, outstanding. Just the whole feeling that you never knew what he would do or when kept you gripping the chair. You kept waiting for him to break expecting it to happen sooner the whole time. Props to Phoenix and Todd Phillips for an amazing portrayal of a character in a way that transcended the comic book genre

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Eh your opinion I guess. There was a lot of what you described but also some pretty funny parts. I definitely have a darker sense of humor but that aside I also left that movie blown away.
the moment in the apartment was absolutely brilliant. The way JP captured the feeling and complete crazy followed by him letting the other guy out of the room, outstanding. Just the whole feeling that you never knew what he would do or when kept you gripping the chair. You kept waiting for him to break expecting it to happen sooner the whole time. Props to Phoenix and Todd Phillips for an amazing portrayal of a character in a way that transcended the comic book genre

Ehh, thanks for allowing me to have an opinion i guess. Jesus. Tough crowd.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Saw Joker yesterday, agree with a lot that was said. I've been getting worn out on the Marvel formulas, and wow was this not that. Amazing performance by JP, I struggled to not associate a lot of the movie with current events. Really like when there are dark comic movies and this was the darkest yet. I have no idea how they could get a Batman to match this Joker, but I guess that's the history of Batman. It's the villains that make the movie eh.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just finished watching Joker. Holy **** what a great movie. I know it's dark but that was an amazing movie if you keep it contained and not let outside forces cloud the judgement.

Joaquin Phoenix was just masterful. Truly. The cinematography was unbelievable. And I think the darkness is so overblown.

You're gonna feel real emotions, nearly every emotion in this movie and that's the first one I can say in a long long time. I laughed, I wanted to cry for the Joker at points, I was angry at him, I was happy for him, relieved etc.

If it doesn't get nominated for multiple Oscars because it's "glorifying" darkness or murder or unhingedness. That's a tragedy.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Livia and post-Livia are two different shows, both great in different ways.

The evil was palpable with her around, after, more straight mob movie where shrink sessions sometime fouled the narrative.