<<Official Movie Talk Thread>>

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA

I have no idea what this movie is about, but it's intriguing as hell.

I follow YourMovieSucks.com on YouTube, and I feel like he a REAL movie critic (opinion I take seriously) and he's given that movie a 10/10, which is the only one I've ever seen him give (within recent memory). I wouldn't be shocked to see Willem Dafoe get an Oscar nom for this.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I follow YourMovieSucks.com on YouTube, and I feel like he a REAL movie critic (opinion I take seriously) and he's given that movie a 10/10, which is the only one I've ever seen him give (within recent memory). I wouldn't be shocked to see Willem Dafoe get an Oscar nom for this.
I'll have to check him out. I like Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns reviews. Chris sometimes gets a little pretentious and Jeremy can come off as really obnoxious, but I think they both do a nice job of reviewing films.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I'll have to check him out. I like Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns reviews. Chris sometimes gets a little pretentious and Jeremy can come off as really obnoxious, but I think they both do a nice job of reviewing films.

Believe me, YMS can be very pretentious, but only because he grades every movie on the same scale, so he would grade The Avengers the same as The Favourite, so people get mad if he gives a well-liked movie a 5 or 6 out of 10, but I've watched more movies because of his videos and his opinions are pretty close to the same opinions I've had, even if I watched the movie before watching his review.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Best Supporting Actor (which is the category Dafoe would be in) is absolutely stacked this year. He probably deserves a nom but look at who he's up against:

Brad Pitt (Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood
Al Pacino (The Irishman)
Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)
Anthony Hopkins (The Two Popes)
Christian Bale (Ford v Ferrari...probably should be placed in lead actor but they're putting him here)
Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit)
Wesley Snipes (Dolemite is My Name) Yes this is a real thing and many think he's a lock

And those are just the ones most industry insiders think have the best shot. At this point, Pitt and Pacino and Hanks are basically locked in. That leaves two spots for all those others. What a crazy impressive list of actors.

Reactions: TBT

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The new Sam Mendes film, 1917, is edited to appear as if it is one continuous shot that will be played back in real-time:

Incredible. May as well make it a lock for Academy Award nominee for cinematography and editing.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The new Sam Mendes film, 1917, is edited to appear as if it is one continuous shot that will be played back in real-time:

Incredible. May as well make it a lock for Academy Award nominee for cinematography and editing.

Yup. One shot, Birdman style. If this movie sticks the landing it will be a huge force to be reckoned with for picture and director and of course cinematography and editing. I can't wait and really hope it's great.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA

I have no idea what this movie is about, but it's intriguing as hell.

source.gif

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Headed to see Joker tonight. I was really excited for this but past few weeks the ratings have plummeted. Metacritic had it at over 80/100 on average a few weeks ago and it's now averaging 60/100. Not surprisingly it's a movie that it looks like you either love or hate. There are a handful of 100/100 reviews but more that are giving it a 30/100 or less.

What was once considered a great bet for a best picture nomination and a shoo-in for Phoenix in best actor is now looking like not a chance for best pic and while Phoenix is still likely he's not as solid.

We'll see how it is in a few hours.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Headed to see Joker tonight. I was really excited for this but past few weeks the ratings have plummeted. Metacritic had it at over 80/100 on average a few weeks ago and it's now averaging 60/100. Not surprisingly it's a movie that it looks like you either love or hate. There are a handful of 100/100 reviews but more that are giving it a 30/100 or less.

What was once considered a great bet for a best picture nomination and a shoo-in for Phoenix in best actor is now looking like not a chance for best pic and while Phoenix is still likely he's not as solid.

We'll how it is in a few hours.

I've read 5 or so reviews and man have they been all over the board. Seems like the primary criticism is it's just too dark. One review I read even seemed to question the ethical boundaries of glamorizing a Joker-like character. Here's the exact quote from the review:

Advance criticism -- including an expression of concern by the Aurora families -- has yielded pleas from those associated with the film to watch and judge on its merits, which is a reasonable request.

Having done so, the movie produces a split verdict -- eliciting admiration for parts of what "Joker" achieves, without allaying questions about the value, and wisdom, of opening this deck. As for anyone expressing surprise that the movie has triggered controversy about its potential impact, to that reaction, at least, it's hard to keep a straight face.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've read 5 or so reviews and man have they been all over the board. Seems like the primary criticism is it's just too dark. One review I read even seemed to question the ethical boundaries of glamorizing a Joker-like character. Here's the exact quote from the review:

Advance criticism -- including an expression of concern by the Aurora families -- has yielded pleas from those associated with the film to watch and judge on its merits, which is a reasonable request.

Having done so, the movie produces a split verdict -- eliciting admiration for parts of what "Joker" achieves, without allaying questions about the value, and wisdom, of opening this deck. As for anyone expressing surprise that the movie has triggered controversy about its potential impact, to that reaction, at least, it's hard to keep a straight face.
I am seeing it tonight as well. The polarizing opinions has really only made me more excited for the film, tbh. Only a truly impactful movie can create such a rift. If people are pleading it is "too dark" I can only question what they expected out of a super-villian origin story film.

I have read a few things that questions the choice of specific events in the Jokers life that cause him to make a turn for the worst, to which I have tried to reserve judgement because I am not sure if it is true or just twitter banter.

Either way, I am really excited to see how Joaquin portrays this role. I've always loved his acting style, and this seems like another role testing his boundaries. I will surely be back with an opinion.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am seeing it tonight as well. The polarizing opinions has really only made me more excited for the film, tbh. Only a truly impactful movie can create such a rift. If people are pleading it is "too dark" I can only question what they expected out of a super-villian origin story film.

I have read a few things that questions the choice of specific impactful events in the Jokers life that cause him to make a turn for the worst, to which I have tried to reserve judgement because I am not sure if it is true or just twitter banter.

Either way, I am really excited to see how Joaquin portrays this role. I've always loved his acting style, and this seems like another role testing his boundaries. I will surely be back with an opinion.

The one constant in what I've read is admiration for Joaquin's performance.

To me, reading between the lines a bit, it seems like there is a question of "in a day in age where we see people becoming violently unhinged, do we need a very popular, well publicized movie about someone becoming violently unhinged". I think that's an interesting debate as it pertains to this movie.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and srjclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

To me, reading between the lines a bit, it seems like there is a question of "in a day in age where we see people becoming violently unhinged, do we need a very popular, well publicized movie about someone becoming violently unhinged". I think that's an interesting debate as it pertains to this movie.

Yep, I think given today's climate people are a bit uneasy glorifying the actions of a character that is bad but making him kind of a hero. I know many theaters aren't letting ANY people into theaters that are dressed as clowns. Probably smart.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

this is totally the perception around the movie that I am getting as well. However, it's also somewhat a "Does playing violent video games, create violent people?" argument, right? I'm not one who thinks that movies and video games are as directly connected to what people are doing in their daily lives and how they are acting; however, I do see the reason for the conversation I guess.

To that point though, I think the amount of conversations about it have caused more "hysteria" around the release than it probably deserves. But I guess we will see haha

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw 'Judy' the other night. Was OK as a whole movie although Renee Z was really good.

It would be hard enough to live a life where you are used to the adoration from fans but add in addiction etc. and it's only worse.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So, I finally saw MIB: International last night and is it weird to say that I actually enjoyed it??? This is coming from someone too who hasn't enjoyed any of them since the first one, so this one ended up being my second favorite. Maybe it is because I'm a big Chris Hemsworth fan and love his comedy, but I also really liked Tessa Thompson in the movie too. I thought after about the midway point that they really started to develop some good partner chemistry. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts as I know this movie kind of got panned but critics, but I personally watched it wondering why this was panned quite so bad. No, it isn't a masterpiece, but it was definitely worth my time.

What world am I living on, I had no clue there was even a sequel. I searched out the trailer and it looks like it would be decent. I agree Hemsworth is great in comedies (made all girl ghostbusters), and I really like Tessa Thompson, although it's usually in a really serious role like Bond or Westworld.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

We'll see how it is in a few hours.

It seems to me that a lot of people are making up their mind about this movie based solely on critic reviews. Kind of weird.

Personally, I just don't have much interest in a Joker origin movie regardless of its quality. A big part of the draw of that character is the lack of background and history - something Nolan and Ledger absolutely nailed in The Dark Knight with the multiple "how I got these scars" stories.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I watched this a few nights ago when I couldn't sleep, it was actually pretty entertaining for what it is.
Yeah, I watched it last week. It is about what I expected. I actually did enjoy the route they took with his backstory, and why he was getting all of these big actors. The comedy was about on par with what you should've expected based on the BTF series. But if you have followed ZG since early in his career he does have a few obvious call-backs or shout outs too some of his stand up bits, which made it fun for me watching haha. Worth the watch for the 75 minutes it is, or whatever.

L

LincolnWay187

I almost started my own thread on this movie. You guys gotta watch the review for this. Ironically, it is called The Fanatic...directed by...Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit. Worst movie of all time potential...packed with terrible/hiliarious one liners from John Travolta. His first line is "I gotta poo." It is made to be serious, but is hilariously bad.