Attendance today was subpar

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
A couple weeks ago several posters were saying to not schedule UNI. Look what happens when a non power 5 Division 1 school comes to Ames that is not from the immediate area. Trice is not packed. Weather will frequently be an issue, too hot, too cold, too wet. If opponents are from Iowa or bordering states attendance will be higher than if the schools are farther away. And yes having a winning record and history also has a great impact. So until ISU is a perennial top 20 program, keep UNI on the schedule and keep playing MAC schools.

Look around the college football landscape and see what has happened to attendance across the nation.

Aside from the abysmal student showing, this was an impressive crowd for a Sun Belt team with rain in the forecast for much of the week and eventually landing in the second half.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It wasn't horrible, the weather and the opponent contribute to it. I left at halftime because my daughters were done.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Cows have a lot of empty seats today too.

I wouldn't think the Cowboys on prime time TV would have that many gaps in the crowd

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Was the student section any more empty than the rest of the stadium? They always move down in their sections so they are more compressed than the general admission sections, leaving all the empties in one place at the top.

Donor sections in the lower level between the 35s looked really bad on TV.

All things considered the crowd was about what I figured it’d be.
Student section was probably right at 50% full. Maybe even less since there is an extra section in the top level. Bottom level wasn’t even totally full.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The attendance sucked today. Just got to own it. We're literally a fair weather fanbase. Attendance is great in September and October when its dry and sunshine. Always drops off in November and rainy days. It is what it is.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A couple weeks ago several posters were saying to not schedule UNI. Look what happens when a non power 5 Division 1 school comes to Ames that is not from the immediate area. Trice is not packed. Weather will frequently be an issue, too hot, too cold, too wet. If opponents are from Iowa or bordering states attendance will be higher than if the schools are farther away. And yes having a winning record and history also has a great impact. So until ISU is a perennial top 20 program, keep UNI on the schedule and keep playing MAC schools.

Haha, no. This would imply that either our fans are more excited to play a UNI or Illinois State than a Louisiana Lafayette, or that those schools bring a lot of traveling fans and we need that to fill the stadium. Both of those are totally fault. A punching bag game is a punching bag game. And we no longer need to rely on visiting fan tickets to help fill the stadium.

The story today was the weather, period.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I seriously can't believe the people saying the attendance sucked today. Given the weather forecast and the lesser opponent, I thought it was fantastic. Yes, the student section up top was a little weak, but overall, fantastic. We just broke the school record for most yards and put up 72 points. Take your complaining over to the UNI boards.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I seriously can't believe the people saying the attendance sucked today. Given the weather forecast and the lesser opponent, I thought it was fantastic. Yes, the student section up top was a little weak, but overall, fantastic. We just broke the school record for most yards and put up 72 points. Take your complaining over to the UNI boards.

And the tickets still sold. We're not nosediving in that regard, either.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The attendance sucked today. Just got to own it. We're literally a fair weather fanbase. Attendance is great in September and October when its dry and sunshine. Always drops off in November and rainy days. It is what it is.

We've officially entered a new era with entitled fans who never experienced 30,000 fans every Saturday of the football season and 2 wins a year. Take a look at nearly every stadium around the country. Coaches and AD's would DIE for our fan support.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This thread needs a warning label.

5940963.jpg

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
No way we could justify a 2 hour trip with a one year old with this weather forecast.

I love the guy criticizing my family for how we spend our money yet leaves todays game early. Hypocrite.

• Winner
Reactions: jdcyclone19

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We've officially entered a new era with entitled fans who never experienced 30,000 fans every Saturday of the football season and 2 wins a year. Take a look at nearly every stadium around the country. Coaches and AD's would DIE for our fan support.
Thank god we have. The day we don’t normalize everything to the days in which we were the worst major conference program cannot come soon enough.

How many of those are coaches and ADs are of programs we’d like to be considered peers of? Not many.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Fair weather fan base? We have come out and supported a usually ****** product for 100 years.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've had season tickets for 18 years. I've seen the low times. Today's attendance sucked. Own it.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
No way we could justify a 2 hour trip with a one year old with this weather forecast.

I love the guy criticizing my family for how we spend our money yet leaves todays game early. Hypocrite.
In my seats for every game at least 30 minutes before kickoff so I can support the band and enjoy all aspects of the game. I did leave today with 6:00 or so to go because we were winning by 40 points and needed to help my college sophomore buy some groceries. Not sure that's being a hypocrite.

I understand staying home with kids. That's a choice. But as I said, I am lucky enough to attend and visit our daughter.

Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron