Attendance today was subpar

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
2001 to 2019 is not the low years of Iowa State Football. Try the 80's and 90's then come talk to us. Student attendance was poor, regular attendance was fine.
We definitely need Coach Saban to come to town and address that student attendance issue! :p

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
As a west sider, I always notice many open seats in the donor section. It looks bad on TV, but when you cough up that kind of money, I guess you feel entitled to hang out in the Trice Club sipping your Bloody Mary's. I'm going to go over there sometime and claim one of those seats on the 50 yard line.

Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The attendance was good considering just about every variable imaginable was working against attendance. Bad forecast, bad opponent, marathon weekend last weekend, many high school homecomings, etc.

If you think our attendance was bad, take a look at what's going on across the country. Getting 57,000+ to this game is a great result.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
As great as our fan base has been, we still are having trouble entirely buying in to the fact that we have a really good team, and program. We all have been around long enough to see us blow it, and that feeling of "that is why we are Iowa State" to take hold. I know that is how I felt after the Iowa game, we dominated in the stats, they had no big plays, we just pissed down our leg and lost the game.

We are on the right track, but until we go out and dominate more games like we did yesterday, that feeling will be in the back out minds, and people will make excuses not to attend the games, even after they have paid for tickets.

Keeping prices low for new fans is the key, and Pollard has done a great job of that, allowing the fan base to continue to grow. But we can learn from the team to our East, and not take the fans we have for granted, and continue to improve the product on the field as well as in and outside the stadium.
Go Cyclones

A lot of the new fans aren't going to go to a game against ULM when there's a chance of rain/delays. Even a lot of the diehards are going to hesitate.

I know a few friends that have become ISU fans because of Hoiberg and Campbell, and it's really difficult to get them to a game. They prefer to watch at home, even for the big games. They are the tavern hoks that we make fun of, but they are the people that come into the fold when you start winning. It's a process that starts with getting them to Ames for a full day of tailgating. Jack Trice is a fine stadium, and it can get really loud and fun in there, but it's not like going to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln or Camp Randall in Madison. The tailgating experience is how you get them hooked, and we're still in the very early stages of attracting these types of fans.

I guess I'll stop rambling, but the moral of the story is, get your friends to a game, throw a great tailgate, and eventually, we won't have the off weeks that we often have as the weather takes a turn for the worst. Oh, and win football games.

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Looked fine on TV given the circumstances. Not exactly a marquee opponent, crappy weather, letdown/hangover from the marathon tailgate the week before...all signs pointed to attendance being a little deflated on Saturday.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
As a west sider, I always notice many open seats in the donor section. It looks bad on TV, but when you cough up that kind of money, I guess you feel entitled to hang out in the Trice Club sipping your Bloody Mary's. I'm going to go over there sometime and claim one of those seats on the 50 yard line.

Just don’t take their parking spots, no matter how late they get there :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: ISUCE

Lookoverhere

Dec 9, 2015
upload_2019-9-25_16-58-0.png

I was there, it was cold. This says 40,626 but guessing 25,000 actually attended. Everyone just sat there in cold silence after Culbertson missed that kick. The entire stadium went numb.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron