Dirty Chris Hassell at it again

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Crazy how scared the Hawks are of a guy they are 3-0 against. It's great, they just can't handle any of the buzz ISU is getting this season, they have to take any chance to talk bad about the program. They aren't even trying to hide their lil bro complex any more.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I guess I've been around long enough...heard enough people on this forum, for examplej, "guarantee" Hoiberg would never leave...or at least not until kids had graduated, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other examples at other schools as well.

The fact is, none of us know what is in his head or his heart...so lets not pretend we do.

Enjoy Campbell for as long as he is here and let's hope that it a long, long time. But don't set yourself up for a day in the future when we have to talk you off a ledge because he is offered a position that he simply can't refuse and you'd built up something in your brain that was never realistic.

Once he's won the Big XII, he may want to regularly compete for National Championships. If so, that is a pretty big pull away from Ames should that be the case.

The Big XII winner competes for national championships.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Well, there are people at CBS Sports website who are impressed with the Cyclones:

Iowa State: This isn't a two-team race in the Big 12 with Texas, Oklahoma and everyone else. The top tier now stretches all the way to Ames, Iowa. Don't get distracted by the loss of skill stars David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler to the NFL because that's not what powers this program. Matt Campbell has built a culture that is strengthening by the year. It doesn't hurt that he's also entering Year 2 of the Brock Purdy era, returns his entire offensive line, recruited two four-star running backs and has stars on all three levels of the defense. Make room for iowa State at the big boy table. -- Barton Simmons

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I guess I've been around long enough...heard enough people on this forum, for examplej, "guarantee" Hoiberg would never leave...or at least not until kids had graduated, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other examples at other schools as well.

The fact is, none of us know what is in his head or his heart...so lets not pretend we do.

Enjoy Campbell for as long as he is here and let's hope that it a long, long time. But don't set yourself up for a day in the future when we have to talk you off a ledge because he is offered a position that he simply can't refuse and you'd built up something in your brain that was never realistic.

Once he's won the Big XII, he may want to regularly compete for National Championships. If so, that is a pretty big pull away from Ames should that be the case.
It's fine to acknowledge he might leave, but that doesn't mean we have to like all the baseless speculation he is going to leave every time some talking head is blabbering about ISU on tv. We all get it, ISU isn't a top level job. Why do they ALWAYS have to bring it up as a talking point.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's fine to acknowledge he might leave, but that doesn't mean we have to like all the baseless speculation he is going to leave every time some talking head is blabbering about ISU on tv. We all get it, ISU isn't a top level job. Why do they ALWAYS have to bring it up as a talking point.

What ticks me off is not when he's talked about for Ohio State, or Notre Dame, or some huge job. What baffles me is when someone says he's gone to some mid tier school that is marginally better than ISU or actually far worse. I think I heard someone say he should go to Rutgers last year. Are you freaking kidding me?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
One of the preseason write-ups said Campell has a 50% won-loss record going into this season. If he has a winning record this year, he will be the first coach to post a winning record over 4years at ISU in 100 years. Think about that.
So you’re saying he’s going to be ten games bet .500?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Why is it ok to make this assumption though? How do we not know that this isn't where he and his family want to be? I'm not saying the guy is here forever but Iowa State doesn't have the financial disadvantages they had even 10 years ago. Everyone assumes that he has this "dream job" and nobody knows that.

Unlike many, I"m not assuming either. That is my point. It is a waste of energy saying he will stay....it is a waste of energy saying he will leave. I could argue either side, but would never be so naive as to take one side over the other.

Of course the sports talking heads will take sides...that creates interest. Don't fall into the trap, and put your stake in the ground on one side or the other....because you don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: MrPeske

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Can we at least not pretend this is something new....and it is unique to Iowa State? Brush it off and move on would be my suggestion...

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hassell whenever he has a chance to talk Iowa State

giphy.gif

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Saw this earlier and was waiting for someone to post the thread.

Michigan isn’t firing Harbaugh this year, even if they fail to meet expectations this year (win the Big 10)

(The) Ohio State isn’t firing Day this year barring a complete disaster in his first year (and if they were really interested in Campbell they would have pursued him last year)

Michigan St isn’t firing Dantonio this year even with a disastrous year - even though his goodwill is starting to wear thin among the diehards, it isn’t that thin among the entire fan base - yet.

Penn St isn’t firing Franklin even with a bad season.

Iowa isn’t firing Ferentz even with a bad season.

Wisconsin isn’t firing Chryst even with a bad season.

Nebraska isn’t firing Frost even with a bad season - especially after turning the season around last year.

Northwestern may never fire Fitzgerald (someone hiring him away may be a different story, but he’s never showed interest in leaving his alma later).

With those teams out of the picture, which of Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, or Rutgers is a better job than ISU at this point, and why the hell would Campbell ever leave for any of those schools?

Dodd has always had a hard on for talking down ISU, and this is just this year’s example.
Northwestern may be in the top half of the conference as far as programs, but it may be the worst job in the conference. No fan support and tough admissions standards. I'd think you would almost have to be an alum(Fitzgerald) for that to be a destination.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Its actually not a bad time to stick around at isu. He is now one of the most senior coaches in the big 12 and has things going about as good as they can go.

Ksu-new coach
Ku-new coach
Wvu-new coach
Ttech-new coach

Bu-coach flirted with other jobs last year, cant see him sticking around if hes already looking after 2 years.

Isu looks very stable compared to those programs right now. And also beat each of those schools last year on top of that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He seemed like a douche when he was here and still seems that way to me.