Dirty Chris Hassell at it again

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
m_b_YgrgX8EofaEQ.jpg

He brought on a stooge to reiterate the tired old line of "This is Matt Campbell's last season at Iowa State." Sorry Chris, you need to do your homework. Be sure and stop by my tailgate at B4, I'd be happy to serve you a delicious knuckle sandwich.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I get it. Successful college coach turns basement football team around and moves up to a job with the "big dogs".

But the difference here is that JP and the administration are improving our facilities and stadium to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the big dogs. Soon, all we'll lack is their tradition, and I think Campbell will stick around long enough to remedy that.

This isn't the Iowa State of old.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Saw this earlier and was waiting for someone to post the thread.

Michigan isn’t firing Harbaugh this year, even if they fail to meet expectations this year (win the Big 10)

(The) Ohio State isn’t firing Day this year barring a complete disaster in his first year (and if they were really interested in Campbell they would have pursued him last year)

Michigan St isn’t firing Dantonio this year even with a disastrous year - even though his goodwill is starting to wear thin among the diehards, it isn’t that thin among the entire fan base - yet.

Penn St isn’t firing Franklin even with a bad season.

Iowa isn’t firing Ferentz even with a bad season.

Wisconsin isn’t firing Chryst even with a bad season.

Nebraska isn’t firing Frost even with a bad season - especially after turning the season around last year.

Northwestern may never fire Fitzgerald (someone hiring him away may be a different story, but he’s never showed interest in leaving his alma later).

With those teams out of the picture, which of Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, or Rutgers is a better job than ISU at this point, and why the hell would Campbell ever leave for any of those schools?

Dodd has always had a hard on for talking down ISU, and this is just this year’s example.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Michigan isn’t firing Harbaugh this year, even if they fail to meet expectations this year (win the Big 10)

(The) Ohio State isn’t firing Day this year barring a complete disaster in his first year (and if they were really interested in Campbell they would have pursued him last year)

Michigan St isn’t firing Dantonio this year even with a disastrous year - even though his goodwill is starting to wear thin among the diehards, it isn’t that thin among the entire fan base - yet.

Nebraska isn’t firing Frost even with a bad season - especially after turning the season around last year.

Northwestern may never fire Fitzgerald (someone hiring him away may be a different story, but he’s never showed interest in leaving his alma later).

With those teams out of the picture, which of Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, or Rutgers is a better job than ISU at this point, and why the hell would Campbell ever leave for any of those schools?

Dodd has always had a hard on for talking down ISU, and this is just this year’s example.

Forgot one, what about ND?

• Winner
Reactions: algonacy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get it. Successful college coach turns basement football team around and moves up to a job with the "big dogs".

But the difference here is that JP and the administration are improving our facilities and stadium to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the big dogs. Soon, all we'll lack is their tradition, and I think Campbell will stick around long enough to remedy that.

This isn't the Iowa State of old.

Yep you get the facilities,most the paycheck, and you don't get fired if your not in the playoffs.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hey Chris:

giphy.gif

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

One possible scenario would be James Franklin to USC (if Urban Meyer doesn't want it) and then Penn State would be open.

Don't think it would happen but there has been some talk that Michigan State's Mark Dantonio could retire soon.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I guess I've been around long enough...heard enough people on this forum, for examplej, "guarantee" Hoiberg would never leave...or at least not until kids had graduated, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other examples at other schools as well.

The fact is, none of us know what is in his head or his heart...so lets not pretend we do.

Enjoy Campbell for as long as he is here and let's hope that it a long, long time. But don't set yourself up for a day in the future when we have to talk you off a ledge because he is offered a position that he simply can't refuse and you'd built up something in your brain that was never realistic.

Once he's won the Big XII, he may want to regularly compete for National Championships. If so, that is a pretty big pull away from Ames should that be the case.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
At some point some point people are going to realize that CMC is cut from a different cloth. The dude just gets it and wants to carve out his own path. LOL the season hasn't even started and we already have a national media guy saying "he gone"... Iowa State has officially arrived!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Enjoy Campbell for as long as he is here and let's hope that it a long, long time. But don't set yourself up for a day in the future when we have to talk you off a ledge because he is offered a position that he simply can't refuse and you'd built up something in your brain that was never realistic.

Why is it ok to make this assumption though? How do we not know that this isn't where he and his family want to be? I'm not saying the guy is here forever but Iowa State doesn't have the financial disadvantages they had even 10 years ago. Everyone assumes that he has this "dream job" and nobody knows that.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa State has a good year, rumors of Coach Campbell leaving come about, Coach Matt Campbell does not in fact leave, Iowa State makes upgrades in the football program, Coach Matt Campbell does well recruiting. Wash, rinse, repeat.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I guess I've been around long enough...heard enough people on this forum, for examplej, "guarantee" Hoiberg would never leave...or at least not until kids had graduated, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other examples at other schools as well.

The fact is, none of us know what is in his head or his heart...so lets not pretend we do.

Once he's won the Big XII, he may want to regularly compete for National Championships. If so, that is a pretty big pull away from Ames should that be the case.

I don't think I ever once saw/heard that.

We KNEW he wanted back in the NBA.

L

LincolnWay187

The shear fact that ISU has succeeded with Campbell is enough to show that its at least possible.

Its proof that we should not accept a consistent losing coach. It also shows that if you are a good coach you can come here and succeed.

Him staying or leaving will never change what he has done these few short years

Last edited by a moderator:

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Campbell had said it's his goal here to win conference and national championships. If that unlikely scenario unfolds this year he may leave.

But I too am tired of the talking heads saying campbell is leaving.
I generally trust a man at his word and campbell has given us his word multiple times.

• Winner
Reactions: 2020cy