Netflix - Your Current Favorites

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Well, Netflix cancelled The OA. I'm gonna miss that weird little show. It ended on a crazy cliffhanger too.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We're watching Conan Without Borders right now, and the guy is just naturally hilarious. His trips to Mexico, Israel and Haiti also carried a lot of great meaning that was sobering, and helpful in humanizing the plight of people in a way that normal media generally doesn't.

The season finale where he went to Italy with his producer is gold. And he seems to be kind of re-energized by getting out of the studio and out into the open. With this and his podcast (also outstanding and I can't recommend it enough) I get the impression that he's had his fill of the late night stuff.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As an X-Files and Twilight Zone fan from the original I'm finally running through Black Mirror as everyone has insisted. I have to admit it's better that I thought, some pretty great stuff.

To me Glow is the best show they have that should be more popular than it is. Season 3 maybe today I think?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We're watching Conan Without Borders right now, and the guy is just naturally hilarious. His trips to Mexico, Israel and Haiti also carried a lot of great meaning that was sobering, and helpful in humanizing the plight of people in a way that normal media generally doesn't.

Make sure to check the youtube channel for some of them that aren't on Netflix.

Conan without Borders and Parts Unknown are the best journalism on television in the past decade. Zero sarcasm. (of course the bar is not that high)

Bourdain in West Virginia and Conan in Israel/Palestine should be Pulitzer Prize winners.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Not an all time favorite, but the wife and I are currently watching "How to Get Away with Murder". It's really a intense and interesting legal/crime drama but is also hilarious at times.

We are only in season 2 out of 5 and I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Not an all time favorite, but the wife and I are currently watching "How to Get Away with Murder". It's really a intense and interesting legal/crime drama but is also hilarious at times.

We are only in season 2 out of 5 and I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Just stop taking your arthritis medication so your hands swell up. As a result the leather gloves you left at the crime scene wont go on your hands.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"Mindhunter" starts back up on 8/16, I think - super excited about that. Just watched all of the most recent season of "Comedians in Cars."

• Winner
Reactions: yez and cyhiphopp

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
"Mindhunter" starts back up on 8/16, I think - super excited about that. Just watched all of the most recent season of "Comedians in Cars."

Me too. I couldn't make it all the way through the Eddie Murphy one. Too much ego for one car. I think he's going to have a very, very rough return to standup comedy.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
I'm sad about The OA being cancelled but at least there is still Season 3 of Dark to look forward to.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I recently finished season one of The Umbrella Academy. There were some slow moments, but it was different enough to hold my interest and keep me watching. Season two is coming out next year. I'm excited for it, yet apprehensive since the time travel aspect is almost always hard to pull off.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Funny, but very much hit or miss for me. A skit would either be hilarious or totally miss the mark.
Yeah, there are some stinkers, but of the 50+ or whatever they did, it has some of the funnier sketches I've seen in a while. Also, I'm a big fan of that dumb comedy I can just throw on and power through late at night lol

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, there are some stinkers, but of the 50+ or whatever they did, it has some of the funnier sketches I've seen in a while. Also, I'm a big fan of that dumb comedy I can just throw on and power through late at night lol

The Walk the Line parody had me in tears, as did the Has This Ever Happened to You skit.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The Walk the Line parody had me in tears, as did the Has This Ever Happened to You skit.
Those are great, I was dying the first time I saw the Fenton's Horse Ranch because it was so out there. One I found particularly funny more because of the situation was the "If you like the gift, then give me the receipt back." skit. Also the simplicity of the "Santa Came Early" skit lol

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I just finished Basketball or Nothing, which is about high school basketball in the Navajo Nation in Arizona. It is basically Last Chance U with likable characters and basketball. It's pretty much impossible to not root for those kids. Check it out...it's very good.