Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We went to an American Legion meat raffle on Sunday. Northern Minnesota Legions do not run out of beer.

To be fair the next town's legion has a steak fry and they never run out of booze. This one is a once a yr fish held the Sat before Memorial Day. Their post seems only to be used for their meetings and the towns fitness class according to the sign on the door. I didn't know any of this till I went. I just saw the sign at the steak fry legion and went to support a local group instead of a restaurant chain.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sorry, but I don't see the pics you post sometimes. :( All I get is the little icon in parentheses and "IMG". I'm sure it was beautiful!
When that happens to me, sometimes I can "right click" on the image and it brings up a pop-up menu with the option to "view image". That works about 75% of the time for me. @coolerifyoudid 's images are always a crapshoot for me though...I think he uses a different sort of imaging process. Most of mine are either cut/paste from the internet or uploaded from my computer. I've never uploaded any phone photos directly to CF, though - I have to download to my computer first, or put them on FB in private (me only) mode, then copy/paste.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
We intentionally didn't buy a return ticket to Bangkok where we fly back from on Sunday so that we could make a decision once we were here. We've really enjoyed Thailand but it's always nice to explore another country when you travel so far.
Our bucket list is Australia & New Zealand. We had to wait for retirement though, because we learned the hard way that flying to Japan for a six day stay is hard on older bodies! If I'm going to do that 22-hour flights/layover thing again, I'm going to spend several weeks. :D

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have a transparent feeder that suction cups to the door going out onto the deck. Great view of the birds. My youngest daughter has several bird identification books and loves to sit in the kitchen and watch.

Used to have one of those before the remodel when the kitchen window faced a backyard that is bigger than it is now. A couple nights CWW#2 and I saw a flying squirrel who had stuffed itself into the feeder. Took us a moment to figure out what it was. Very cool.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Used to have one of those before the remodel when the kitchen window faced a backyard that is bigger than it is now. A couple nights CWW#2 and I saw a flying squirrel who had stuffed itself into the feeder. Took us a moment to figure out what it was. Very cool.
The feeder that holds the peanuts for the red-bellied woodpecker is on a pole mounted to the railing on our balcony. It has a squirrel baffle on it. The other day I saw a squirrel leap from the roof to the top of the feeder. I'm running out of ways to stop the little buggers!

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Our bucket list is Australia & New Zealand. We had to wait for retirement though, because we learned the hard way that flying to Japan for a six day stay is hard on older bodies! If I'm going to do that 22-hour flights/layover thing again, I'm going to spend several weeks. :D
New Zealand and Australia have been at the top of my list too. We actually met a couple from Australia today and told them we're planning on doing a trip soon. The problem is that we'll likely only make it a two week trip which really isn't enough time to see a lot there.

Our trip to Thailand went through Japan and was almost 30 hours when you factor in layovers. It was not fun.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
New Zealand and Australia have been at the top of my list too. We actually met a couple from Australia today and told them we're planning on doing a trip soon. The problem is that we likely only make it a two week trip which really isn't enough time to see a lot there.

Our trip to Thailand went through Japan and was almost 30 hours when you factor in layovers. It was not fun.
It would have been approx 22 hours each way. Unfortunately, due to weather in DSM, we missed our connection in Denver, and the next day's flight was full. They wanted us to stay in Denver for a night, get up early & fly to San Francisco, stay there for the night, then get up early and get on a plane to Tokyo. We said Nuh-uh - you put us on a plane to SF tonight, we'll stay there two nights & then fly out. We had a full day to play around in SF, so that made up for the delay. Only problem was our bags went on to Tokyo. We had our carry-ons. We had to find a store near our hotel and pick up clean socks & underwear, and a fresh shirt for Lew...but then it was allllllll day at the wharf. :D

Reactions: oldman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The feeder that holds the peanuts for the red-bellied woodpecker is on a pole mounted to the railing on our balcony. It has a squirrel baffle on it. The other day I saw a squirrel leap from the roof to the top of the feeder. I'm running out of ways to stop the little buggers!

A real flying squirrel = cute and interesting
Fox and gray squirrels = tree rats
Red squirrels = owl feed

:rolleyes:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
When that happens to me, sometimes I can "right click" on the image and it brings up a pop-up menu with the option to "view image". That works about 75% of the time for me. @coolerifyoudid 's images are always a crapshoot for me though...I think he uses a different sort of imaging process. Most of mine are either cut/paste from the internet or uploaded from my computer. I've never uploaded any phone photos directly to CF, though - I have to download to my computer first, or put them on FB in private (me only) mode, then copy/paste.

I've tried that, but I think our blocking program here at work (we can't view Twitter convos, for example) is what keeps me from seeing them. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

th

Don't forget to say, "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" before you shoot.

Reactions: CloneLawman

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
The flying part would be cool. Sadly, we did find a non-flying squirrel stuffed in the feeder and mowing down on a couple of occasions. After some failed interventions, I started mixing the bird seed with pepper sauce before putting it out there. That seems to have slowed down the cursed tree rat. And yes, I am a horrible person, and there are websites out there that suggest squirrels encountering pepper sauce might scratch their own eyeballs out. Don't care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron