Bizarre Car Battery Issue - Input Wanted

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Yesterday, I drove a short distance from my house to a gas station. Went in, paid, came back out, car would not start. There was no "reving," just 2-3 "clicks" then nothing. Turned the key several times (at least 7-10 times), no response of any kind. It was totally dead. Radio would not come on. Interior lights would not come on. Dashboard lights would not come on.

Assuming I had a dead battery, I called my dad to come with his car (not too far away) for a jump start. While waiting for him to come, I figured I may as well get the jumper cables ready to go. Popped the hood, and when I clamped the red cable onto the positive battery post, the car radio started (bear in mind, the other end of the jumper cables were hooked up to nothing). So I turned on the interior lights, they came on!

I turned the key, and the car started!

How did my car magically start? And, what is wrong with the car and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

(If it matters, it's a Buick about 10 years old.)

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017
I had a battery cable in college that was cracked, when it was cold, the load on the cable was enough to open the crack and cause the issues you describe and could be fixed by wiggling the battery or canle

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did the security light flash at all when you turned the key on? Had that happen and it ended up being a broken wire in the steering column.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. When I would try to start my truck, I would get something like you describe. Jumping it didn't work. When the auto club came, they could start it. Turns out it was the battery going bad. Thus, even though it started, I would advise you to get your battery tested.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I had the same thing happen. Had the battery tested. It was fine. After several episodes, I took it to the shop. They had it a day and called to say they tried it several times throughout the day and it started every time.

I went to pick it up, and nothing. Mechanic came out it said it was my starter. If it wasn't in the right position, it wouldn't start. Put in a new starter. Problem solved.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Probably cable, but how old is your battery? If you are up in that 4-5 year area, throw a new one in when you clean stuff up.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Clean the battery terminals.
Trace the battery cables to where they mount to the frame or starter/alternator. Unbolt them and clean the connection.

If it keeps happening, your starter may be starting to go out.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Had the same thing. Randomly would click once and everything went dead. Open the hood, jiggle the wires and it would start. Turned out the negative terminal was corroded. Replaced that and all is fine now.

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011

Turn your lights on and try to start it if the lights are bright and it wont start its the starter. Take to any walmart and have the battery load tested, they usually want you to charge the battery first.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good suggestions so far for trouble-shooting.

If there is corrosion build-up on a terminal, mix hot water and baking soda, pour it onto the terminal, most of the crud will dissolve, it could improve eclectrical-flow.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree with comments on bad post connections, cable loose or broken, etc.

Clean your posts with wire brush, cover with PJ, AND make sure to have a tight connection. Had one once where the band around the post wasn't tight, and it must have been sparking, because it ate away at the post until it was partially disintegrated. They do make a post cover thing (like a thimble) that you can put over the post if that helps get a tighter connection with the cable.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

(If it matters, it's a Buick about 10 years old.)

Is the battery 10 years old? If so, it probably needs to be replaced.