What I know about the Prohm/Alabama speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Pay the man $3mil/yr for 4 years.
Just avoid the CPR type contract.
I think we can win with a lot of coaches, and that Prohm’s four seasons have been of average coaching. But these aren’t punitive or reward based decisions. Prohm has leverage. While he hasn’t yet done as well as 4 to 6 other Big 12 coaches, it’s more about the future. Another $1 million, maybe more, is pretty cheap aversion of risk/slippage of coaching changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Just avoid the CPR type contract.
I think we can win with a lot of coaches, and that Prohm’s four seasons have been of average coaching. But these aren’t punitive or reward based decisions. Prohm has leverage. While he hasn’t yet done as well as 4 to 6 other Big 12 coaches, it’s more about the future. Another $1 million, maybe more, is pretty cheap averting of risk/slippage of coaching changes.

Exactly. A guaranteed $12mil (plus incentives) isn't anything to sneeze at.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think Beard and Prohm are on a similar line. Drew is debatable - not because of success, but because I don't think it's been done as on the up-and-up as many would believe. Huggins is a thug so I refuse to give him credit. Lon has underachieved if you look at the recruits.

You should probably realize you’re talking to one of the leaders of the crew. He’s so giddy about the prospect of prohm leaving, he can’t stand himself.

Pop asked him for tips about coaching basketball, and he turned him down, you know

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Given that we know the guy can recruit and he's done things a clean and sustainable way, I think he's proven a longer term commitment. Ideally, I'd offer the guy 3.0 mil/year for 5 years with incentives to take it up to 3.5 mil (winning league) and 4.5 mil (final four). Guaranteed raise each year finishing with a winning record and the buyout would also go up to 8-10 mil.

Not financially devastating if we need to terminate, but prevent a large percentage of the annual chatter.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Given that we know the guy can recruit and he's done things a clean and sustainable way, I think he's proven a longer term commitment. Ideally, I'd offer the guy 3.0 mil/year for 5 years with incentives to take it up to 3.5mil (winning league) and 4.5 (final four). Guaranteed raise each year finishing with a winning record and the buyout would also go up to 6mil.

Not financially devastating if we need to terminate, but prevent a large percentage of the annual chatter.

Bingo. There seems to be a lot of debate about how there are 8 coaches better than him in the conference or some ******** like that. But even if you think that, it's not quite the difference that some want to believe. And his salary should go up.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Given that we know the guy can recruit and he's done things a clean and sustainable way, I think he's proven a longer term commitment. Ideally, I'd offer the guy 3.0 mil/year for 5 years with incentives to take it up to 3.5 mil (winning league) and 4.5 mil (final four). Guaranteed raise each year finishing with a winning record and the buyout would also go up to 8-10 mil.

I don't disagree with the basis except I don't think the contract needs a guaranteed raise for finishing with a winning record.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
He had something up within the past hour. He's obsessive about running down the programs by putting doubt in recruit's minds about the long-term tenure of our coaches. He'll probably start writing articles about Dresser going to some other school. Hok doosh. He's still sore about getting his leg broken.

Jesus man lay off the sauce.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

That's probably very well within the market- though i might change that 'winning record' to 'winning conference record'

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36 and Jer

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Sounds about right, depending on what we can also do for assistant pool.

Higher annual rate over duration is expensive, but there’s no better use of the increased annual TV money than for (retaining) coaches. JP isn’t doing his job if we can’t afford to overpay some. Yeah, if someone goes past $4.0mil, taking the buyout and hiring accordingly, becomes appropriate.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
We should be paying much more than 2 mil. We don't have a ton of non-revenue sports to support, we have B12 money and have good football attendance in a big stadium. There should be money to pay at least an average salary for a power 5 five basketball coach.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron