MONDAY MUSINGS: Once again, it's "prove it" time for the Cyclones

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It seems that we have struggled with Baylor's zone in the past by trying to go right at it and beat them at their own game (such as forcing the ball inside to Niang against Isaiah Austin, Cory Jefferson, Rico Gathers, Johnathan Motley, Taurean Prince).

This year, I'm much less afraid of their big men. Lard has been impressive with his passing and Jacobsen handles himself well under pressure in the paint. His triple fake moves should be good for a bunch of fouls on Baylor.

And I've got to think that our guards can shoot in a way that makes Baylor pay for using a zone. It was cold shooting, not lack of intensity, that was most problematic in the TCU game. Bring on the zone. No way they are going to stretch the zone far enough to cover THT and Wigginton!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's funny how that impressive win at K State made me even more angry (if that's even possible) about the loss at home to TCU. Kind of like when you have a really smart child bring home an A on their algebra final after they flagged their midterm.

Just makes you want to smack em.

This is pretty foreign to me. I guess I see life in a “what’s done is done” light, both personally and generally.

Sure, you take time to learn from it, but if I slide (or go down end over end) a quarter of the way back down the hill, the point I land is the starting point for my journey the next day. No reason to dwell beyond what it takes to learn and grow. This is especially true of college sports, where each team is almost always unique each year.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The 1 and 2 seeds are dang near etched in stone at this point. They have created quite a bit of separation between the 3's.

If those teams do what they are supposed to do, sure, but more than likely some of them will stub their toes.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
The 1 and 2 seeds are dang near etched in stone at this point. They have created quite a bit of separation between the 3's.
The 1’s are all but guaranteed to come from Duke, Gonzaga, Tennessee, UK, and Virginia, with the odd man out being a 2. I think the other three 2’s are still very much in play, though a Big 12 team getting one will be tough. A Big 10 team will likely get one, most likely UM.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

If ISU, Texas Tech or Kansas go 27-7 any of those 3 would have a better NET ranking and resume than UNC provided they get swept by Duke. Michigan State is down Langford (out for season) and Ward for a minimum of 6 games.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If those teams do what they are supposed to do, sure, but more than likely some of them will stub their toes.

The 1’s are all but guaranteed to come from Duke, Gonzaga, Tennessee, UK, and Virginia, with the odd man out being a 2. I think the other three 2’s are still very much in play, though a Big 12 team getting one will be tough. A Big 10 team will likely get one, most likely UM.

If ISU, Texas Tech or Kansas go 27-7 any of those 3 would have a better NET ranking and resume than UNC provided they get swept by Duke. Michigan State is down Langford (out for season) and Ward for a minimum of 6 games.

The consensus with all of the national “experts” are all saying that the 1’s and 2’s are going to have to really mess up to fall to a 3.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The NET rankings are becoming less and less reactive as the population increases. You aren’t going to see a lot of big swings as the season draws to an end.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
CW pretty well sums up my feelings. I thought we had things figured out until the TCU no show. As I've told multiple people that one took a lot out of me and I seriously doubt I'll be able to trust this team again this season. Luckily my opinion means nothing and I can still enjoy the good moments, but anything short of an outright conference championship is going to leave a lot of what ifs to rehash.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
The NET rankings are becoming less and less reactive as the population increases. You aren’t going to see a lot of big swings as the season draws to an end.

We did go from 17 to 13 after the KState win... which was more than I thought would happen.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
These back to back home losses to double digit underdogs have the clones firmly on the “sell” line for me.

My expectations for them went from B12 title hopeful to not surprised if they get bounced in both tournaments first games.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
These back to back home losses to double digit underdogs have the clones firmly on the “sell” line for me.

My expectations for them went from B12 title hopeful to not surprised if they get bounced in both tournaments first games.

The gap between floor and ceiling of this team is wide. I could easily see them losing in the first round to a no-name team by 15. I could also see them getting hot and making the elite 8.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It's funny how that impressive win at K State made me even more angry (if that's even possible) about the loss at home to TCU. Kind of like when you have a really smart child bring home an A on their algebra final after they flagged their midterm.

Just makes you want to smack em.
Just curious how you're feeling today? :(

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron