****Official Class of 2019 Recruiting Thread****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Has there been any chatter about how Nixon is doing from a practice standpoint? I can't recall seeing anything since his transfer was announced. I tend to forget about him given the new names and their success, but I remember him being CSU's leading scorer before we got him. I forgot about him being from IL.

Good question because last year weren't we hearing how good Shayok was in practice? Of course we were looking for news since last year was an off year with missing the NCAA's and all. We've had plenty of good news this year with how good THT, Jacobson and Halliburton have been. And also distracted by the suspensions and injuries.

• Friendly
Reactions: acgclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Good question because last year weren't we hearing how good Shayok was in practice? Of course we were looking for news since last year was an off year with missing the NCAA's and all. We've had plenty of good news this year with how good THT, Jacobson and Halliburton have been. And also distracted by the suspensions and injuries.
I know Nixon missed the summer league due to an injury. Has he even been practicing?

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I get the feeling Jackson is going to make an impact when he gets to Ames.I won't be surprised if he comes in and is our top freshman. Just a feeling.
I will be. Astonished, as a matter of fact. Shocked. Amazed. Agog.

Jackson is a pure shooter. Anderson shoots casually well, rebounds, and has an all around game. And is 6’8”, instead of 6’1”.

Marcedus is...on entirely another level.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I will be. Astonished, as a matter of fact. Shocked. Amazed. Agog.

Jackson is a pure shooter. Anderson shoots casually well, rebounds, and has an all around game. And is 6’8”, instead of 6’1”.

Marcedus is...on entirely another level.

I wouldn't be shocked. Jackson plays tough defense and is a lights out shooter. He is the kind of player who can make an immediate impact. Will he have the chance to? Probably not. Could He? I think so.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I figure if the track of three is...

-- one can contribute immediately and maybe someday be a star, maybe not quite on the Horton-Tucker or Haliburton tier, but something right below it

-- one might not have much of a role as a freshman, but sees their minutes start to creep up as we go along and eventually is a solid contributor as an upperclassman

-- one, well, busts

...then this class was adequate for the state of the program.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn't be shocked. Jackson plays tough defense and is a lights out shooter. He is the kind of player who can make an immediate impact. Will he have the chance to? Probably not. Could He? I think so.

That's the thing about incoming freshman, you never know how they will play once they play in a college game. Case in point being Haliburton. The overwhelming opinion on this site was that he is too skinny, can't get that set shot off in college, etc. And here he is surprising 98% of the prognosticators on this site.

Still it's fun to discuss the plus/minus of incoming players. Let's not forget that until we see the recruits play in a college game, it's just our opinions. On the other hand, Prohm and the staff are the ones who have successfully identified talent, many times before other programs have. If they have recruited/landed a player, chances are that their judgment is going to override the opinions of those of us who have never seen the recruit play in person.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's the thing about incoming freshman, you never know how they will play once they play in a college game. Case in point being Haliburton. The overwhelming opinion on this site was that he is too skinny, can't get that set shot off in college, etc. And here he is surprising 98% of the prognosticators on this site.

Still it's fun to discuss the plus/minus of incoming players. Let's not forget that until we see the recruits play in a college game, it's just our opinions. On the other hand, Prohm and the staff are the ones who have successfully identified talent, many times before other programs have. If they have recruited/landed a player, chances are that their judgment is going to override the opinions of those of us who have never seen the recruit play in person.

Every freshman that Prohm has brought to Ames...

Noskowiak = bust
Carter = bust
Ernst = bust

Long = bust
Young = solid, still developing though, hopefully shakes the injury bug soon

Wigginton = big hit, hopefully healthy soon
Lewis = undistinguished freshman year, but seems to be coming around lately
Lard = flashes of greatest last season, but maddeningly inconsistent

Haliburton = big hit, already starter-quality in the Big 12
Horton-Tucker = even bigger, probably starts every game he plays in Ames
Griffin = wobbly so far, but very early in his career
Conditt = inconsistent, but the size and talent are obviously there

Hits = 4 (calling Solomon a hit)
Unsure = 4 (and putting Lard in here)
Busts = 4 (especially early on)

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
The only one Id truly consider not a Big level player recruited since his first class. (2015 was a throw scholarships at players and hope they work as he didnt really have a chance to recruit for this college).
Id truly consider 2016 his first class which means Long was the only real miss, just never saw anything that saw he was a rotation player for a Big 12 school, dropping to a low low level school kind of shows that. The rest truly do look like they have what it takes to play at the Big 12 level thats pretty impressive recruiting.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Noskowiak = bust
Carter = bust
Ernst = bust

Long = bust

Lard has to be in the hit column. I think the 2018 class is 4/4, as all have the talent to play at this level, and I think the 2017 class was 3/3. Really, we're looking at a 1/5 start and 8/9 after that (IMO). I think Ernst is actually doing well at FGCU.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Pshaw, Psiclone. There you go with the reasoned thinking when the rest of us want our amateur, unreasoned conjecture and opinion. I have never been a college basketball coach, but I thought of playing one on TV at one point. Doesn't that count for anything?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Noskowiak = bust
Carter = bust
Ernst = bust

Long = bust

Your assessments are fairly accurate if we look at contributions on the court for ISU. However, I would challenge that we may be a bit spoiled by Wigginton, and now Horton-Tucker/Haliburton level early contributions if we question if Solomon was a hit or not. While not an instant star, the fact that he started the majority of his first two years in my opinion is unquestionably a hit in recruiting and talent evaluation, translation to the court. Players who were freshman stars such as Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Georges Niang (1/3 rd of the way through his first year before he started), Monte Morris (similar story although he performed at that level on a loaded team) are exciting, and Prohm has shown he can recruit jewels at that level, but those are all-time greats/stars, not just hits. I believe our experience with transfers has spoiled us on "instant contributors". Under that evaluation, Naz didn't blow us away his freshman year, yet don't know anyone that would say he wasn't a "hit" in recruiting evaluations. I can remember when we didn't really expect Freshmen to contribute much at all, unless they were superstars, or our team was so bad we needed them to step up.

While Noskowiak never played for ISU, that was due to his off the court issue, rather than on the court. They came so close to his start (Didn't he leave right at the start of his freshman year when classes had barely started if at all?) we don't know if his talent would have translated to the college level. So, while a bust as far as addition in games for ISU, I believe this thread was more about whose talent translated.

Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO, you can never go wrong with recruiting shooters. It's pretty important in the game of basketball to put the ball in the basket, that's what I've learned anyway.

And Tre Jackson, Anderson, and Leech can all shoot. So that's a huge plus in my mind.

One possible issue however is that none of these guys will have much of an impact on the interior for us. I think all of them are pretty much perimeter guys, even Anderson from watching his videos.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and isutrevman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMO, you can never go wrong with recruiting shooters. It's pretty important in the game of basketball to put the ball in the basket, that's what I've learned anyway.

And Tre Jackson, Anderson, and Leech can all shoot. So that's a huge plus in my mind.

One possible issue however is that none of these guys will have much of an impact on the interior for us. I think all of them are pretty much perimeter guys, even Anderson from watching his videos.

We'll have Young, Jacobson, Conditt, and probably Lard for next year, and Conditt for the year after (and I've seen comments that Anderson is comfortable banging inside too), but I'm guessing that the 2020 class will address our need there more.