Why didn't the Big 4 Classic work?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
We get it. After 4 posts saying the same thing.

Just because the NCAA chose Des Moines doesn't make the Well a great basketball venue. That's more about the city and amenities. And yes, the Well does work for that tournament. I just don't think it worked for the Big 4 Classic.

I have only been to one game at Wells Fargo and I was disappointed with the facility...that total project cost 200 million and for that price tag I think that the arena could be a whole lot better re basketball.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As people have mentioned, I think there definitely was an overestimation of people wanting to pay for both games. We all see everybody's teams and how they're doing, these 4 teams aren't a mystery to anyone. And quite frankly if somebody wanted to go to Iowa City to see a game that ISU wasn't in, they could. Iowa is big, but not that big. And Des Moines isn't a novel or exotic location to Iowans, so the city isn't specifically a draw.

If people were going to pay for the whole weekend, then it would need to be a tournament. Two games Saturday with a consolation game and a championship on Sunday. I know this doubles the number of games, probably cutting into their revenue.. but I feel like it's the only way to have people want to go there for just these 4 teams and stick around. Plus it then actually sets up a state champ.

Of course the major issue with that idea... is the CyHawk game. Are people going to be cool with the potential of another ISU v UI game? Maybe people would enjoy that on a neutral site, who knows. Cause the regular CyHawk game isn't going away.

You could invite other regional schools, as well.. but that isn't gonna draw TV money, so you still have to rely on ticket sales. For that you'd have to invite national schools, at which point it's just another early-season invitational bball tournament trying to vie for eyes.

Frankly, I think the bigger issue is that Drake and UNI are in the same league and already play each other twice in league play so the tournament you suggest sets up a very real chance that they play a third game against each other. And there is still their conference tournament...

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s too expensive for the product simply put. If I wouldn’t spend $50 to sit and watch Iowa State play Texas Southern or North Dakota State in the top corner in Hilton, why would I do the same for Drake or UNI in the top level at the well? A game against Drake or UNI isn’t any more interesting to me than most of our non conference games and especially hasn’t been lately as both really suck the last few years.

I’m fine with playing Drake or UNI every year if they want to come to Hilton every year. Wouldn’t compromise any other way.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CTTB78 and alarson

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
The well just isn't that great of an arena. Design and flow is poor. NCAA wrestling should come to Iowa every so often, but the one time it showed up in DM, the well so underperformed that it isn't coming back. State HS wrestling is also a disaster in the facility. The few basketball events I've been to aren't that good either.

The NCAA had nothing but great things to say about the Wrestling Championship in Des Moines in 2013. The reason it hasn't come back (and likely won't) is because the NCAA wants a higher capacity than WFA has.

• Winner
Reactions: capitalcityguy

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It would help if there are more bar/restaurant options right next to WFA, similar to Power & Light/Sprint Center. Just not much atmosphere in and around the arena.

Related problem is how poor attendance has been for Boys State BB Tourney. That place is a dead zone. Nothing innovative or new to try to make it a better experience. Just the same old guys in Boone thinking it's business as usual.

I agree re the Boys State BB Tourney, the Well is just too big a venue for that event, its esp bad if not many fans show up for the out of town teams, then its a really terrible environment for the State Tourney.

Maybe the real reason I dont like the Wells Fargo arena is that the Weitz Co managed the project and made at least 10% of that $200 million.......another sweetheart deal with the Board of Supervisors...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree re the Boys State BB Tourney, the Well is just too big a venue for that event, its esp bad if not many fans show up for the out of town teams, then its a really terrible environment for the State Tourney.

Maybe the real reason I dont like the Wells Fargo arena is that the Weitz Co managed the project and made at least 10% of that $200 million.......another sweetheart deal with the Board of Supervisors...

Why shouldn’t they get paid for a job they did??

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes on Cyclones.tv as well. And I know it's a few years late, but MC22 now broadcasts in complete HD, so video quality should be much improved over previous years. The pxp commentator is a train-wreck though. ;)
Blum, your talk to type app is on.

Reactions: brentblum

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This.

I also think making it a multi-day event where each school played two games might have been better as well. We use to play both UNI and Drake every year. Have a Friday night game, and a Saturday game for all schools with separate tickets for each game.

Schedule something like this:
Friday - 6PM Iowa/Drake; 8:30 ISU/UNI
Saturday - 2:30PM Drake/ISU; 6:00PM Iowa/UNI

THAT is what I would've done if I was in charge of it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It just hasn't been a good event.
It sold out 3 of the last 4 years (and was close last year despite all four teams being down).

4 in state teams and the event should sell out in a matter of hours, not months. I live in DSM Metro and between friends and coworkers, I don't know anyone who attended the event consistently. I think the date hurts this event as well with it falling smack dab in the middle of the holiday season. That is a prime weekend for Christmas gatherings/party's.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yes on Cyclones.tv as well. And I know it's a few years late, but MC22 now broadcasts in complete HD, so video quality should be much improved over previous years. The pxp commentator is a train-wreck though. ;)
Have they updated the graphics and score box? They were/are about 20 years behind the ball in that category as well.
Nothing like seeing a score box and Casey’s logo take up 1/4 of the screen.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Iowa State should play both UNI and Drake every year, the games should always be in Hilton. I don't care what Iowa does.

I'd love the series to continue in some form but I don't think Iowa State is willing to pay UNI what UNI commands as a buy game when you can pay Southern or Grambling or somebody half as much and pretty much sell the same number of tickets.

UNI has been 'bought' exactly 4 times in the Ben Jacobson era. 2010-Syracuse, 2013-Virginia, 2014-VCU bought out the back half of a H-H, 2015-New Mexico and 2017-North Carolina treated the third game of the series as a buy game.

I don't see Iowa State agreeing to even a 2 for 1. Also, totally agree with **** Iowa.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It is remarkable how much contempt ISU fans have for Des Moines hosting the NCAA tournament in basketball.

TOE will probably end up with the Des Moines/KC/Twin Cities path in the tourney...

What are you talking about. We love it. Especially now that we can play in Des Moines.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd love the series to continue in some form but I don't think Iowa State is willing to pay UNI what UNI commands as a buy game when you can pay Southern or Grambling or somebody half as much and pretty much sell the same number of tickets.

UNI has been 'bought' exactly 4 times in the Ben Jacobson era. 2010-Syracuse, 2013-Virginia, 2014-VCU bought out the back half of a H-H, 2015-New Mexico and 2017-North Carolina treated the third game of the series as a buy game.

I don't see Iowa State agreeing to even a 2 for 1. Also, totally agree with **** Iowa.
Yeah, offer them the going rate and if they don't want it move on. ISU shouldn't be obligated to subsidize their program if Ben wants to gouge. I also like the series, but oh well.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It just hasn't been a good event.

4 in state teams and the event should sell out in a matter of hours, not months. I live in DSM Metro and between friends and coworkers, I don't know anyone who attended the event consistently. I think the date hurts this event as well with it falling smack dab in the middle of the holiday season. That is a prime weekend for Christmas gatherings/party's.

Yes, the date is tough. Not many people looking for another thing to do this time of year. Heck...we have two Christmas parties we're invited to on this date. Yet even with that hurdle, it has still sold very, very well.

Additionallly, the Iowa vs Iowa St BB game in Iowa City didn't sellout until the day of so I don't know where people get this idea that the event should sellout quickly. Just because you say it should??

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Yes, the date is tough. Not many people looking for another thing to do this time of year. Heck...we have two Christmas parties we're invited to on this date. Yet even with that hurdle, it has still sold very, very well.

Additionallly, the Iowa vs Iowa St BB game in Iowa City didn't sellout until the day of so I don't know where people get this idea that the event should sellout quickly. Just because you say it should??

It didn't sellout

• Informative

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

That's because Iowa fans suck

• Agree
Reactions: Rural

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron