Why didn't the Big 4 Classic work?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not interested in watching the other two teams play. Nor am I interested in listening to everyone rooting for "not ISU" in our game. We already play home & home with Iowa, and Drake & UNI already play each other in conference games.
Let Drake and/or UNI make their own deals with us & with Iowa (although we all know how far they would get with Iowa).

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
They way overestimated the amount of interest there would be for fans to watch the game their team isn't in. If they cleared the arena between games and sold separate tickets it would have worked way better. Or played one game on Friday night and one on Saturday.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
Pales in comparison to Hilton. Comes at a time when it is nice to have a bit of a sports break, as well.

• Dislike
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
1) Ticket prices too high when you're only interested in 1 of the games.
2) Due to many people only being interested in 1 of the games, atmosphere was crap. A LOT of empty seats for each game.
3) Not a great bball venue. Definitely not one of those 'no bad seats in the house' arenas.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
TV situation doesn’t help - one way to gin up interest in tix is to have people watch on TV and “wish they were there” or go the following year. When it’s broadcast on one channel that a lot of people don’t get you lose interest in a hurry.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I hate to derail the thread, however I read multiple posts about the Well isn't good for basketball and DM isn't a college basketball town. Are these points correct? If so, then how/why did the NCAA select DM as a tournament site? Shouldn't that be shut down?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I enjoy attending but I have connections that get me seats on the side in row 3. It’s fun to sit that close.

I also enjoy cheering against Iowa but it is more fun if we win and Iowa plays second. That combo hasn’t happened much. Either we play second or we lose.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
People compare Wells Fargo to Hilton and that is wrong. Wells Fargo is a much better arena than Carver. Hilton is just another level. The issue is not caring about the other game. It would have been cool having like 4 games against teams outside of the state. Something like that would probably work.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron