Campbell and the field

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Blame, turf management program, weather...it's all moot. If Campbell wants new turf he's getting it. If Campbell wants a bowl of M&Ms with the brown ones removed on his desk 24/7...he's getting it.

Yep, I think there are lots of reasons why the field was bad this year and those reasons were fairly unusual.

But if Campbell wants turf, get him turf.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Blame, turf management program, weather...it's all moot. If Campbell wants new turf he's getting it. If Campbell wants a bowl of M&Ms with the brown ones removed on his desk 24/7...he's getting it.

The M &m thing would be going too far

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ok, lets put this as a comparison to the uniforms, everyone says CMC hates Yellow, and loves Black, that is the reason we have all blacks and no golds in our Uni combos.
Well by some of CMC's comments this year it appears that he hates natural grass, and loves artificial turf, so does that mean we are going to switch?
I base this on actual comments I have heard him say about the surface this year, yet I have never heard him mention his love of Black and hate of Gold.
Again I realize it has been a rough year for the natural surface, but does CMC actually prefer turf and if he does do we make the change, or do we chock this year up to a bad year? Everyone knows there is a definite difference to the 2 surfaces and some people have preferences to one or the other, it appears that CMC prefers turf. Or am I just hearing things?
This is and was my question. It was no baring on the game today, other than the actual condition of the field and the obvious work needed to fix/repair it, and CMC's obvious remarks regarding the difficult surface.
I have played devils advocate here because I can see both sides to this argument while I love the grass, especially early in the season, I think turf would be a better surface late in the season.
I remember when they switched it to natural grass and how huge of an improvement that was, but then turf made a giant step forward since then too.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The weather is **** in Iowa at least 3/4 of the time.

Let's move the university to Texas. Our turf would be lovely
Excuse me? Much more cost effective to built a domed stadium. One up the Vikings. Surely there’s a nice spot out by 80/35 to build it?

Jimlad needed?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The M &m thing would be going too far
Nah actually go the the M&M website you can order any combo of them you want with custom logos too. We can get him all black ones with the bugle logo if we want. LOL

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm excited to watch this team one more time. Hopefully this time in the Alamo Dome. We've got some athletes on this team but you wouldn't know by watching us play on the frozen tundra the last two weeks

Last edited:

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Is it the turfs fault that our players had no fire at all? There was absolutely no passion. The wet turf may have “evened out the playing field” as Sage pointed out the entire game, but you could tell Drake’s players’ hearts were in the game and ours weren’t. Thought that lesson should have been taught after the Texas game, but I sure hope CMC is drilling that into them over the next few weeks. If I’m a competitor and I’m going out there to compete. I don’t give a rats ass who I’m competing against. I am going to drive them mercilessly into the ground again and again and again until they are morally defeated. And then if the score is run up enough at that point the coach should take me out, because I am not stopping. Nobody on that field today had that kind of drive from the Cyclones.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: khardbored

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I have to say, Ive always loved the natural grass field, since we went back to it. And it is beautiful at the beginning of the season, but as it gets late and into November it gets pretty hard to maintain that surface, and as we have seen with bad weather it goes bad pretty fast. I wonder if upgrading the surface, with the modern heating and drainage that northern fields in the NFL have would be necessary and/or feasible. As far as I know the only college stadium that has a heated field is Minnesota, because the Vikings paid for it when they played there while their new stadium was being built.
At that point I just don't know what its worth. Like I said, I love the natural field and I think its better for injuries, but it sounds like CMC is not particularly fond of it, at least not this year.
It really is t better for injuries anymore. The new turf fields have more give than natural turf. I like natural too but the expense of a crew of 10 to up keep it plus the advances of turf field make it a no Brainer imo. The field shouldn’t be a deciding issue and old Isu needed the field condition nuetrizer in games like today against better opponents but now it is more likely to hurt us. Go turf.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
How many Power 5 schools still have natural grass fields?
OU and TCU are two in our conference. You know, the two teams that played in last years conference championship game.

Since we do not have a team full of 5 star recruits, a surface that reduces injuries and slow opposing teams down sounds like a good thing to me.

It seems to me the grass was cut way to short for the WVU game which stunted the root system going into the colder part of the season. They then top dressed sand after the game because it was wet during the WVU game. The top dressing never had a chance to naturally compact and contributed to the poor surface conditions.

Campbell needs to learn to coach to the advantages he has instead of demanding grass perform like artificial turf.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Is it the turfs fault that our players had no fire at all? There was absolutely no passion. The wet turf may have “evened out the playing field” as Sage pointed out the entire game, but you could tell Drake’s players’ hearts were in the game and ours weren’t. Thought that lesson should have been taught after the Texas game, but I sure hope CMC is drilling that into them over the next few weeks. If I’m a competitor and I’m going out there to compete. I don’t give a rats ass who I’m competing against. I am going to drive them mercilessly into the ground again and again and again until they are morally defeated. And then if the score is run up enough at that point the coach should take me out, because I am not stopping. Nobody on that field today had the drive from the Cyclones.
Again, My question was not about whether the field conditions caused our performance today, it was about how poor the field has been the last few games, and the difficulty it is to maintain late in the year, and CMCs comments on that? And whether or not if he does like artificial turf, and if that means we may be making the switch in the future.
Please read my original post/question.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It will stay grass. It’s just time to start over. They got 2 more years out of this round than they initially thought. Although one could say this year it was obvious they gambled and lost letting it go one more year.

"Gambled and Lost"...I agree with you on that on FarminCy...Should have replaced it last year...double whammy of way too much water and staying with the turf for one year too long.....

Next year it will be perfect again...

• Winner
Reactions: CyclONE Nation

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is it the turfs fault that our players had no fire at all? There was absolutely no passion. The wet turf may have “evened out the playing field” as Sage pointed out the entire game, but you could tell Drake’s players’ hearts were in the game and ours weren’t. Thought that lesson should have been taught after the Texas game, but I sure hope CMC is drilling that into them over the next few weeks. If I’m a competitor and I’m going out there to compete. I don’t give a rats ass who I’m competing against. I am going to drive them mercilessly into the ground again and again and again until they are morally defeated. And then if the score is run up enough at that point the coach should take me out, because I am not stopping. Nobody on that field today had that kind of drive from the Cyclones.

Our players didn't have any fire. But neither did the fans. All of us had bad attitudes about the game.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
CMC keeps almost all 'issues' in house. Wish he would have done the same here and make any change to the turf he wants next summer. Excuses are for losers and embarrassed winners.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

Help Support Us

Become a patron