Campbell and the field

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It will stay grass. It’s just time to start over. They got 2 more years out of this round than they initially thought. Although one could say this year it was obvious they gambled and lost letting it go one more year.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
And how many more times in the next 25 years are we going to play a game in Ames this late in the year? Zero.
Well we play the last week in November all the time, not that big of a difference. My prefference is to keep the grass but this is more about what it sounds like CMC wants.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm probably committing blasphemy here but I've often wondered how much time, effort, energy, and money we put into this field that gets used seven or eight times per year (counting the spring game), and whether it's truly worth it. Granted, our turf team probably works other fields too. And I don't want to overreact based on one game.

But I was taken aback during the Kansas State game at how bad it looked. My own lawn, which gets relatively minimal treatment by comparison, is greener today than that turf was a week ago.

I don't follow every press conference but I hadn't realized Campbell had spoken out about it. So I'll be curious to see what happens.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Really don't know what to think. It was a really rough year for turf in Iowa in the fall. Cold, wet conditions, plus this was actually the 8th game that players were on the field for a game. Maybe if they start completely over it could be good, but the turf would be good no matter what with the new fake stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It will stay grass. It’s just time to start over. They got 2 more years out of this round than they initially thought. Although one could say this year it was obvious they gambled and lost letting it go one more year.
So when they rehab it do they just put a new grass surface in or do they replace all the drainage and irrigation, and possibly update all the systems and possibly add heat and other tech? I know it was state of the art when it was put in, in the 90's but not so much now, do they redo all that? Just curious, not sure how often they rehab the natural surface.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I heard the same rumor the other day about the artificial turf, I think there was another thread on it, but based on my family members who work at ISU an artificial surface is getting discussed.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Really don't know what to think. It was a really rough year for turf in Iowa in the fall. Cold, wet conditions, plus this was actually the 8th game that players were on the field for a game. Maybe if they start completely over it could be good, but the turf would be good no matter what with the new fake stuff.
Yeah thats kind of my issue too, I love the natural grass but, It is Iowa, and we have crappy weather. Its been a bad year but we have bad years. We will have struggles with late games and poor weather always. Field turf is always good for the most part. No matter what the weather is, cold, wet, freezing, hot. Its all the same to turf. But all destroy grass. But again our award winning management staff and field is hard to overlook.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
So when they rehab it do they just put a new grass surface in or do they replace all the drainage and irrigation, and possibly update all the systems and possibly add heat and other tech? I know it was state of the art when it was put in, in the 90's but not so much now, do they redo all that? Just curious, not sure how often they rehab the natural surface.

I can’t say for sure but I don’t see why there wouldn’t be some work on drainage and resloping the field, etc. It’s been 8 years since it was last torn up so I assume there would need to be some subsurface work.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
"Award winning" or not, if Campbell wants an artificial turf field we'll be switching to artificial turf. (Also, given how many programs have switched to artificial turf, how competitive is this award really?)

Even the best turf management can't fight nature and what happens to grass in northern climates in november. Not sure if artificial turf is the answer, but clearly if we're going to be playing meaningful football in november going forward we're going to have to have an acceptable surface to play it on. This year we didnt have that.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I never forgot, that is part of the issue, we are award winning but still struggle to maintain the field later in the season and it sounds like CMC doesnt care for the natural grass. So I wondered what happens, Also what a rehab of the natural surface entails, or if we completely redo the entire system to a current system

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Don’t think it happens. More rain this year than we have had in a long long time. They will spend the money to get it back to being the best in the nation next year

I remember a poor ISU fb team hanging with Iowa @ Kinnick---the last year Iowa had it's do-over with a grass field 5-6 seasons ago.. The field had 6 inches of water that didn't drain--a debacle. Iowa went to TURF the next year.

If our field is the best our world-class agronomy/turf mgmt dept can do, then replace it with turf.

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey and STLISU

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well we play the last week in November all the time, not that big of a difference. My prefference is to keep the grass but this is more about what it sounds like CMC wants.

The average daytime high in central Iowa in November is 48. This year blew chunks weatherwise but it is not the norm. You usually don't associate Thanksgiving in Iowa with frozen ground and ice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron