How many have son(s)/daughter(s) at ISU?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
My eldest daughter, who is a senior in HS, just made the decision a few weeks back to attend ISU next Fall. She had been accepted at Grinnell College and another private school in Ohio, but ultimately chose ISU over them! As an ISU alumnus, I am especially excited about the outcome of her decision (and it was totally hers, btw). So, I wondered how many of you CF'ers have kids at ISU & what's been their experience so far?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
My eldest daughter, who is a senior in HS, just made the decision a few weeks back to attend ISU next Fall. She had been accepted at Grinnell College and another private school in Ohio, but ultimately chose ISU over them! As an ISU alumnus, I am especially excited about the outcome of her decision (and it was totally hers, btw). So, I wondered how many of you CF'ers have kids at ISU & what's been their experience so far?

I'm sure she's a smart kid and probably has some scholarships lined up, but be honest, somewhere along the line your checkbook just breathed a huge sigh of relief, right?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
My HS freshman daughter has it at top of her list.

A niece graduated (architecture) last spring, nephew (business) currently attends. They both had/are having a blast. The niece met her fiancee there.

Reactions: kentkel

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Grinnell is an outstanding college...hope she considered it, thoroughly.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Congrats on her choosing Iowa State! What school in Ohio was she considering? I went to school out there so I kind of know the schools

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'm sure she's a smart kid and probably has some scholarships lined up, but be honest, somewhere along the line your checkbook just breathed a huge sigh of relief, right?
Actually, the best financial package was if she had attended Grinnell (probably 12-13K of debt at the end of 4 years). She has decent scholarship money, etc for the first year at ISU, so we'll see what happens (financially) after that first year.
She has been to the campus and at sporting events at ISU many, many times. But during her own scheduled visits to Ames, she seemed to "fall in love" with Iowa State & all the opportunities that exist to "get involved" - clubs, intramurals (she's a good tennis player), etc.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unfortunately not, mine chose Arizona St because she didn't want to go to school in the town she grew up and wanted to go somewhere warm. At least their colors are similar.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Actually, the best financial package was if she had attended Grinnell (probably 12-13K of debt at the end of 4 years). She has decent scholarship money, etc for the first year at ISU, so we'll see what happens (financially) after that first year.
She has been to the campus and at sporting events at ISU many, many times. But during her own scheduled visits to Ames, she seemed to "fall in love" with Iowa State & all the opportunities that exist to "get involved" - clubs, intramurals (she's a good tennis player), etc.

Good for her. I'm sure it was a tough choice so hopefully she can enjoy a great experience while making the most of her opportunities. My oldest is a high school freshman so my day is coming.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Congrats on her choosing Iowa State! What school in Ohio was she considering? I went to school out there so I kind of know the schools
Cedarville University. I joked with her, "Hey, if you attend there, you could catch a play-in-game for the NCAAs in nearby Dayton. There's an outside chance you could be watching the Hoks play."

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
As the @kentkel mentioned, the "sticker price" at Grinnell is frightening. But with the the endowment that they have for a small college (Grinnell has a larger endowment then ISU for example) their students usually graduate with far less debt than the average ISU student primarily due to generous financial aid packages.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Cedarville University. I joked with her, "Hey, if you attend there, you could catch a play-in-game for the NCAAs in nearby Dayton. There's an outside chance you could be watching the Hoks play."
I've heard of them, and that's a very different school than Iowa State. Glad she's really excited though!

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I've heard of them. And that's a very different school than Iowa State. Glad she's really excited though!
And very, VERY different than Grinnell College. She really did look at a "wide variety" of schools (she also checked out Simpson & Luther), so I felt she did a good job in that respect.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
My nephew is a sophomore there, and my niece will be freshman next year. She'll be one of the new twirlers for the band starting this fall. The cool (to me) thing about this is both parents are dark side grads living in the heart of TOE country. However, my sister did spend one semester in Ames before transferring back in the day.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Oldest daughter graduated from Iowa (Ugh) because it was the right place for her and I am fairly sure she wanted to annoy her mother and me (we met at ISU). She will also graduate from Iowa Law May 11. That's a lot of years traveling to Iowa City for a couple parents who are Cyclones.

My senior in high school daughter will attend ISU this fall. Software engineering. She does not understand sports, and she did not know what the big deal was when people stormed the field after ISU beat TCU back in October.

My sophomore in high school is totally uncommitted to any school, but she is leaning toward a pre-med major. I told her she could do that at ISU.

My youngest (grade 3--yes, we had a "surprise") said the most magical words after his second game at JTS in 2016 (we did not start taking him to games until 2016): "Daddy, I want to go to school here and be a Cyclone."

And my nephew finishes up vet school in May.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

My youngest is a freshman there and my oldest was there for 2 years before deciding to become a nurse. She LOVED ISU but no nursing school at ISU. Tough decision for her but a good one. I'll be heading up to Ames very soon to throw a load of crap in my car as the frosh wraps up year 1. She loves it. They both grew up in Hawkeye country. My oldest HATES the Hawks but my youngest has a bunch of friends there and doesn't hate them like I raised her to.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Daughter dark side. Son the right side.

My worst nightmare. Giving money to U of Douche

My boys are all many years off from school choices. Right now my oldest would choose MIT over anything else. If he does stay in state, ISU would probably be a better choice for engineering though. Middle kid wants to be a geologist or a chef. Or a rock chef maybe? He's got 9 more years though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron